Homeopathy

corydoras

Homeopathy has been debunked by: James Randi,

James Randi

Youtube Video ->Original Video

and Richard Dawkins, and many other scientists. So why are we paying for this mumbo-jumbo on the NHS?

Bristol Homeopathic Hospital

Cotham Hill, Cotham, Bristol BS6 6JU

0117 973 1231

http://www.ubht.nhs.uk/homeopathy

Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital

1053 Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 0XQ

0141 211 1616

http://www.ghh.info

Tunbridge Wells Homoeopathic Hospital

Church Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN1 1JU

01892 632801

Department of Homoeopathic Medicine

The Old Swan Health Centre, St Oswald's Street, Old Swan

Liverpool L13 2BY

0151 285 3707

Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital

60 Great Ormond Street

London WC1N 3HR

020 7391 8891

http://www.uclh.nhs.uk/

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think most of it is self hypnosis if you believe it will work it could well do but in reality your repairing yourself.

i have no problem with it funded privately as a "tonic" combined with prescribed drugs but as most isnt clinically proven then i dont think the NHS should fund it ,i'd rather it fund drugs for those lottery postcode areas.

its about the same as these "miracle" chinese medicine places that popped up if it were that good why are there sick chinese people in china where all the medicine is chinese :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i dont think the NHS should fund it ,i'd rather it fund drugs for those lottery postcode areas.
Damn tootin' the NHS should'nt be funding it, that goes for Osteopathy, Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, The Alexander Technique and any other non-evidence based quackery.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

errr i debuncted acupuncture until i met a dog.

it was an old dog with bad hind legs (not displacia) its doting "mum" took it to a accupuncturist ,lo and behold the pooch began to walk ok again untill it was completely ok (just a couple of weeks) .the dog didnt know it was accupuncture so it couldnt be the placebo effect and i doupt lengthy discussions between its "mum" and itself about it couldnt make it think its getting better ,so maybe just accupuncture works! my mrs swears by her tens machine which works on pretty much the same principle except it numbs rather than cures.

but as i say not funded by the nhs but as a supplemental remedy paid for privately or set up as a fund raising scheme at cost price for those on benefits / oaps etc

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I only wish I knew. Probably related to most of the public completely failing to understand the basic principles of science. Our science education system was fundamentally flawed (when I was at school) in failing to teach the principles of science. They used to jump right in there with frogs and eyes and magnets and balances, test tubes and Bunsen burners and they never stopped to explain things like Popper, falsifiable hypotheses, Occam's Razor, scientific publishing and the peer review process, the nuts and bolts of how science works and why it's different to other belief systems. I'm assuming that's still the case (probably without the frogs and eyeballs, can't upset the veggies) since the level of general ignorance hasn't improved.

my mrs swears by her tens machine which works on pretty much the same principle except it numbs rather than cures
My Mother-in-laws 'swears' by homoeopathy, but it is still just sugar or water. Edited by corydoras

or the sugar water and yeast homeopathic "cure" known to "cure" some ills :D

..why it's different to other belief systems
I have issues with science being a 'belief system'. I don't beleive in anything. I may ACCEPT a theory, but that does not mean that I 'beleive' in it. I agree with your view on science education though. Most don't know the difference between a hypothesis, a theory and a wild-assed guess.

Oh, I'm willing to concede that it's a belief system, in much the same way that I am willing to concede that RADAR and blind guesswork are both navigation systems. What I'm not willing to concede is that it is intellectually or practically equivalent to every other system. That's where the postmodern relativist take on it is profoundly wrong.

Tell you what, though; there must be some grain of suspicion in people's minds, I've yet to meet someone whose car broke down and they called a faith healer instead of a mechanic...

I've yet to meet someone whose car broke down and they called a faith healer instead of a mechanic...
Yes, but it it must be sad too see someone who's body has broken down, but won't go to see a doctor and instead visits upon a homoeopath or chiropracter.