Homeopathy

corydoras

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was only a conference Davy! :rolleyes:

I know - I read it. I'm sorry if I'm not making myself clear. I was really responding to your claim that debate isn't possible because there are "too many closed minds". What people believe or don't believe (whether it's about health, religion, politics or anything else) is their own business, so long as they don't expect them to be funded out of the public purse if they're not considered to be justified by the evidence. That's the only point I wanted to make.

It doesn't matter whether the issue under discussion is religion, reiki, homeopathy, cold fusion or the existance or otherwise of fairies at the bottom of the garden, people who demand some evidence before they believe in something are always accused of having "closed minds" by those that choose to believe but who are unable to provide a shred of testable evidence to support or bolster their beliefs.

The key to unlocking a closed mind is very small. It doesn't require evidence, it only needs a plausable hypothesis.

In the case of religion, reiki, homeopathy and fairies, they don't even come close to plausability but a lot of suposedly closed minds suddenly opened up and started evaluating the data a few years ago when "successful" cold fusion was anounced. As it happens, the claims were shown to be false, but that hardly invalidates the point.

Homeopathy is bunkum. Plain and simple. There may be thousands of people out there who attest to it's healing powers, but there are ten of thousands of people who would state that the medicines prescribed by doctors have cured them, even though those "medicines" have been placebo's.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Like I said, closed minds!!!

The conference was about treating AIDS, yet not one of you has actually commented on THIS topic......you've just debunked the whole idea without even looking at it. Thats what makes your minds closed.

Ken, you are right, tens of thousands of people do indeed get better by taking placebos which means placebos (or the faith and hope they created) cured them. Homeopathy is dirt cheap compared to drugs and if people are cured by the faith and hope homeopathy creates alone then its worthwhile.

I'm not sure why either of you are so against the NHS supplying such a cheap treatment to people given the gross wastage of money that is the management structure! I'd rather ditch one of their managers and employ a homeopath instead, regardless of whether its a proven therapy or not.

I'm not sure why either of you are so against the NHS supplying such a cheap treatment to people given the gross wastage of money that is the management structure!

Unfortunately, I don't get a say in how NHS money is spent. Believe me, if I did, a lot of unnecessary expenditure would be cut straight away. And a lot of vested interests would be seriously out of pocket, out of a job, and/or very unhappy. That includes a large chunk of the management structure as well as a lot of expenditure on drugs. I'd put the money saved into hospice care, so that nobody need die on a general hospital ward, if they didn't want to be there. There's plenty of good evidence that people want that, but only the lucky few benefit at present. It's a national disgrace that hospice care has to rely on charity.

I still wouldn't spend a penny of NHS money on homoeopathy, unless or until I saw convincing scientific evidence that it worked.

Firstly Phill, I did read the BBC article and Post 114 did comment on it directly.

Secondly, it's ethicly reprehesable to give somebody something telling them that it will either cure them or alieviate their symptoms when it wont.

It fact, it's the sort of thing that only ever gets done by doctors conducting clinical trials or charlatans pedalling, and at least people recieving them in clinical trials know that they might be recieving the placebo.

If you're going to go down that road, you might as well save your homeopath's salary and get some bozo on minimum wage to sit in a consulting room handing out blue smarties for cancer, red for cardiomyopathy and yellow for renal failure.

I'm still not sure what your point is on this.

Do you actually believe that there is some tangable physical benefit to using homeopathy that isn't entirely reliant on a combination of the placebo effect and psychotherapy ?

or

Do you simply have a beef with the NHS and it's current funding and organisational structure ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have a frozen shoulder at present and in between hospital and doctors to be told can't really do a lot for you. Yet alternative medicine, Alexander technique and the Bowen technique say that they can cure it. the second one recons after three visits, paying of course. What's me chances.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

What's me chances.

Barry, frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) usually gets better of its own accord, but can take 12-18 months to do so. In the meantime, there are various drug and non-drug approaches to reduce pain and inflammation, all of which (including acupuncture and Alexander Technique) work for some people. But they don't "cure" the condition, they just relieve the symptoms. Whatever treatment you're trying, if the condition resolves itself while you're having that treatment, the evidence of your own one-man randomised trial tells you that it works (which is why some people swear by certain treatments when they would have got better anyway).

Edited by DavyR

Barry, frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) usually gets better of its own accord, but can take 12-18 months to do so. In the meantime, there are various drug and non-drug approaches to reduce pain and inflammation, all of which (including acupuncture and Alexander Technique) work for some people. But they don't "cure" the condition, they just relieve the symptoms. Whatever treatment you're trying, if the condition resolves itself while you're having that treatment, the evidence of your own one-man randomised trial tells you that it works (which is why some people swear by certain treatments when they would have got better anyway).

Second time i have gone through this. first time, acupuncture, phisio, six months, keyhole surgery, more phisio,two months, finally huge injection sorted it, no more problem on that one.

This time 3.5 months, nothing apart from inflammation tablets in the beginning, injection to reduce swelling, trying to stay away from painkillers. I want to try another cortisone injection but they won't let me near the man. I would also like to try a bone man, osteopath? spelling. Without any xray the first doc said tendons are torn, second said as you say the capsule. Can't work or fish properly at the mo. Quick fix needed. I have a mate who practises Alexander but i'm a bit reluctant.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Second time i have gone through this. first time, acupuncture, phisio, six months, keyhole surgery, more phisio,two months, finally huge injection sorted it, no more problem on that one.

This time 3.5 months, nothing apart from inflammation tablets in the beginning, injection to reduce swelling, trying to stay away from painkillers. I want to try another cortisone injection but they won't let me near the man. I would also like to try a bone man, osteopath? spelling. Without any xray the first doc said tendons are torn, second said as you say the capsule. Can't work or fish properly at the mo. Quick fix needed. I have a mate who practises Alexander but i'm a bit reluctant.

Baz try holding your Beer in the other hand for a couple of weeks ;)

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!