Other field sports

Guest J.Iddon

i do the lot, i shoot, fish, ferret and work my dogs anything that gets me out of the house and into the open countryside im there, i have had it installed in me from an early age that anything i catch be it fur fin or feather should only be done so if it is going to be used, otherwise leave it well alone and i practise this to this day (apart from rats :rolleyes: ).

Heres a few pics of my team......................

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

6rabs.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

hunt.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

i have 3 ferrets 1 lurcher and 3 jack russells, and wouldnt be without any of them, Norrie i have almost all of Brian plummers books, great reads they are too!!

Edited by thurso angler

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look at those ickle doggies playing with those big mouses :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Morning Newt Still trying to work that little conundrum out,

Are Newts less evolved than Rabbits?...

I would have to say the a reptile is a less complex organism than a mammal so yes, newts would be less evolved that rabbits. However, I use my given name rather than a handle on here so my remark was that Newt the person is less evolved than Neil the person. You told us a while back how evolved you were and the remark has stuck with me.

Sorry to have to pull a quoted snippet but the original has a blank for the poster's name as is the case with search results where the poster was removed from the forum at some time after the post.

wabbit2.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well thats it then, you have really 'blown' my cover.

Exposed for what I am a gun 'totin good old boy that shoots..

A rabbit that shoots back.

Goes by the name of Neil, must strike fear to all those that like to take pot shot at defenceless Bunnies.

Yep I like it :thumbs:

farming is sustainable wild life by and large is not, apart from maybe rabbits.

I think history would disagree. The destruction of habitat for farm land has had more of a negative impact on wildlife than pre-farming hunter-gatherer lifestyles did. Where are our forests now? Under the plough. There are still societies making a living that way, though the adoption of agriculture and urbanisation are slowly destroying them.

Out population density is now so high that intensive farming is the only way to feed us, but "sustainable" is a word I'd be loathe to describe it with.

I would suggest that our current intensive, high chemical input farming practices are completely unsustainable, quite apart from the "morality" of the way that animals are kept. transported and killed in the name of cheap meat.

If you buy battery produced eggs or intensively reared meat then you are in part to blame for the system and I am afraid that talk of "maturity" or defenceless bunnies or even cuddly little fox cubs doesn't really stack up against the appalling living conditions and even worse haphazard slaughtering of 7,000,000 (yes, thats seven million) chickens a week in this country, so that you can have your Tikka Masala on a Saturday night.

Please explain how the fox cub has a greater right to life, or why its death was so much more important than any individual chickens.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Seem to have stirred things up a bit :) What I think and say is not really important, but I will say it anyway :)

I have no problem with killing wild creatures for food, GENUINE pest control, or even to satisfy the urge to hunt that most men seem to have. Probably why I fish, and definitely why I used to shoot.

If you are going to kill it, then do it quickly, cleanly and as painless as possible. Where rabbits are a serious problem, then ferreting is very effective, but the aim should be to remove all the rabbits, not leave some to breed again and become pests again. If it is intended to "leave a few" then the whole purpose of the exercise is invalid.

I have a nice garden, no vegetables, and I actively encourage birds to visit, including wood pigeons. They come for a drink, not much food for them. My neighbor is into vegetables in a big way(Secretary of local Garden Society) and he hates the Woodies, and if he were to resort to shooting them I would not have a problem (well maybe a bit )

He has a cat.......................... I love birds.........................need I say more.

Not quite sure about the dog chasing rabbit pics................pity we don't have sound on AN, then we could all hear the screams of terror................

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

It is not feasible to eradicate all rabbits from a particular area. We have a 3 acre garden that is full of Rabbits. If I come home in the evening there could be up to 100 of them on the grass. To grow anything other than grass you have to surround it with a 4ft fence so we have given up trying and now we just cut the grass.

I don't make any attempt to control the rabbits in my garden, and don't kill any, in fact I quite like to see them.

We get visited every day by several Roe deer who come out of the woods at the back. They get what the rabbits can't reach (including the contents of window boxes at night)

They are very welcome and I love to watch them.

I will happily go off my property and shoot rabbits, or Roe deer and enjoy eating them.

The relationship between hunter and prey is often illogical.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

"Not quite sure about the dog chasing rabbit pics................pity we don't have sound on AN, then we could all hear the screams of terror................"

we hear them every night as do most people in the country its not just dogs that hunt rabbits the noisiest sound is blooming bickering badgers right behind our fence.

when we moved in we used to close the front gate but the very first night scrabbling was heard ,it turned out the local badgers used our gate to exit the other gardens in their night time forays ,they couldnt get out silly things .they have very defined paths which they use every night we can see one up the lane going across a field to the river no doupt for a drink and the damp earth for worms etc.

the gate remains open at night.

my old bosses garden was on a track ,we tried ordinary chain link they tore it apart ,galvenised chain link stopped them but they caused so much fuss trying to get through it we devised a "cat flap" made of a metal hanging frame with chain link ,they used it but the nutty boxer dogs never caught on that freedom was just a nudge away :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson