Other field sports

Guest J.Iddon

your lucky the ferret and dog get on ,my last ferret would attack anything that moved especially with fur.

my old bull terrier cross wasen't afraid of man nor beast bar the ferret :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest J.Iddon
Much more "fun" to hunt them with a camera. Do you eat the rabbits you kill?

Den (I used to shoot them, now I just watch and admire them)

Of course I eat them :thumbs: I can still watch and admire them, they are amazing creatures. Like wordbender said crops need protecting. I dont kill mass numbers of rabbits, thats just not fun for me, I go out and get enough to feed me, my dogs and my ferrets.

Crackin Pics there, :camera: brought back lots of memories of when I had almost 2 dozen Ferrets, and went out almost every day/evening with a couple of them.

We had one large Hob that the wife would take for walks on a cat collar and lead.... :) Incidentley, we took our grandkids to our local animal park, and the animals they enjoyed the most were the Ferrets in their enclosure !!!

I did hint at the wife about getting another ferret, but it was falling on deaf ears !! :rolleyes:

They are lovely animals, not like some people would have you believe! mine are great with my young cousins.

Chesters, the dog get son great with the ferrets! they run around like looneys playing together :D

Ps, The barbel was a failure :lol: Something half decent snagged me up :rolleyes:

Guest J.Iddon

Here is a little of ferret kittens I bred this year, both parents very good rabbiting ferrets.

Newstferretpic.jpg

Mumandkits.jpg

Sadly, all the kits deloped a spinal condition and had to be put down :cry:

Spasor, Thanks. She has turned out to be a very nice handy dog :thumbs: I agree with you 100%, Some people treat dogs like humans :wallbash: Dress them up etc. Idiots.

Wordbender good luck shooting, let us know how you get on.

ATB,

Josh.

They are lovely animals, not like some people would have you believe! mine are great with my young cousins.

Chesters, the dog get son great with the ferrets! they run around like looneys playing together :D

Aye, they are too, fantastic creatures....I had a Jack Russell bitch called Candy that worked fairly well till she got fed up, and usually went to sleep . She too played with the ferrets....specially in the garden, when they were on R&R... :)

I must admit to never having been bit by one of them either.....they are IMHO like dogs, one man animals...:) As long as you handle them, they will be well behaved, but, I'm now preaching to the converted...sorry for that ;)

My last ferret died about 8 years ago.... :(

have you read any of Dr Brian Plummers books !!! Sooperb stuff about Ferrets and Rabbitting...:):)

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Great photos.

I watched a guy hunt with a hawk once, and it was fascinating to see. A co-worker I once knew owned a Harris's hawk that he would bring in to work for the purpose of acclimating it to people and commotion. Apparently they are excellent hunters; they knock their prey down with airspeed then kill with a death grip on the ground.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Rabbits eating crops? feeble excuse to kill them. That pic of the guy with a shovel digging out a rabbit (?) sick, sick, sick.

Yes, I used to shoot rabbits and pigeons and squirrels. And I used the excuse that I was "controlling vermin"...then one day I woke up to the reality of what I was doing...strangely after a fox cub died in my arms after being knocked over by a car. I felt the warmth of that lovely creature, and felt its life ebb away, and I bottled up by emotions for several hours...and then I cried like a baby.

I live bordering farm land where organised shoots for pheasants take place, and although I think it is just another form of murder, I can at least see the financial reasons for it, providing much needed income for the landowner (not always the farmer). The pheasants are a crop, reared and then shot, all for money.

But digging out a rabbit ? come on, not exactly sporting is it?

Den (for those who don't know me, I went on the march in support of foxhunting)

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Rabbits eating crops? feeble excuse to kill them. That pic of the guy with a shovel digging out a rabbit (?) sick, sick, sick.

Yes, I used to shoot rabbits and pigeons and squirrels. And I used the excuse that I was "controlling vermin"...then one day I woke up to the reality of what I was doing...strangely after a fox cub died in my arms after being knocked over by a car. I felt the warmth of that lovely creature, and felt its life ebb away, and I bottled up by emotions for several hours...and then I cried like a baby.

I live bordering farm land where organised shoots for pheasants take place, and although I think it is just another form of murder, I can at least see the financial reasons for it, providing much needed income for the landowner (not always the farmer). The pheasants are a crop, reared and then shot, all for money.

someone catching a rabbit to take home and eat is sick, but you support foxhunting? :huh:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

And Foxhunting IS then?

50+ people , overweight pen-pushers on their days off decide to mount a horse , close / detour some roads , enlist the help of 100???? hounds and embark on the epic journey across the countryside , running a fox (pretty much to death) as sport.

If the humble fox is that much of a problem , why not have a designated team of fox-hunters to track down the "pests" and put a bullet straight through its head?

No , 2 bit jumped up "10 bob millionaires" decide that it is right to run a tiny fox into the ground for nigh on 20 miles?? and then do as they please with it when caught. WHERE IS THE SPORT IN THAT!!!!!!!!!!?????

Edited by BULLDRAGON

Hello all, Just wondering of anyone else on the forums does any other field sports? Rabbiting, shooting etc?

I keep 4 ferrets and go out ferreting with them most weeks in the winter, I also do abit of air rifle shooting. I go beating at the local shoot too.

I have a young working bedlingtonx bitch that is coming on well with ferreting, took her first rabbit last week.

Few pics of my lot:

Smagling.jpg

Asbo.jpg

Gypsy.jpg

HuckleberryFinn.jpg

Dig.jpg

ATB,

Josh :thumbs:

Ps, sorry if late replys Im off to try and catch a barbel tommorow, I say TRY :lol:

j.iddon there should be more pepole like you out there or should i say us! i have a bedy whippet shes getting on for 8 now but she is 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddlington is yours more bedlington?anyway they are cracking little dogs brilliant noses & really nippy for lamping!i should do more with her really while i can,but i do alot of hawking aswell as fishing and basicly there aint enough hours in the day!me and my dad fly to female harris hawks so i only have the 1 ferret now as i have not long moved and stuck for space!one thing i like about hawking is the ammount of endless quarry they catch!duck,pheasant even hares make a change from eating rabbit.lol.na but i cant wait to do a bit this winter.funnily enough i have just got some new permision which is full of pheasant & rabbit ideal for the dog as there is a farm near by with chickens so ill be reluctant to fly there.any way its nice to see some out there doing abit and espesialy with a bedy whippet,like i say top little dogs.and i know she'll do you proud..........next i come on here ill send some pics of (tag)my bedlingtonx ........................youve made my day tight lines & happy hunting

And Foxhunting IS then?

50+ people , overweight pen-pushers on their days off decide to mount a horse , close / detour some roads , enlist the help of 100???? hounds and embark on the epic journey across the countryside , running a fox (pretty much to death) as sport.

If the humble fox is that much of a problem , why not have a designated team of fox-hunters to track down the "pests" and put a bullet straight through its head?

No , 2 bit jumped up "10 bob millionaires" decide that it is right to run a tiny fox into the ground for nigh on 20 miles?? and then do as they please with it when caught. WHERE IS THE SPORT IN THAT!!!!!!!!!!?????

A BULLET THREW THE HEAD WHERE IS THE SPORT IN THAT???,ITS A SHAME FOR YOU NOT TO UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF A HUNT...................IN FOX HUNTING THE FOX HAS A CHANCE TO OUTRUN THE HOUNDS!!!