Do you consider angling a field sport?

thurso angler

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider angling a fieldsport?

• yes?
    • no?

So its a class thing rabbit, rather than ethical? its becoming clearer now most antis are hung up on class, a bit misguided given the amount of working class who participate in country pursuits, but never mind, you keep fighting the fight!

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So its a class thing rabbit, rather than ethical? its becoming clearer now most antis are hung up on class, a bit misguided given the amount of working class who participate in country pursuits, but never mind, you keep fighting the fight!

What fight? I am not fighting against anything, but if you want to label me an anti fair enough, if that somehow authenticates your argument I can understand your plight, like I said hunt if you wish but don't try and convince yourself you have the support of the majority of anglers or the public, you don't. you might have the few on here that support you but they are the few,

If you think I am wrong please explain why an elected government banned hunting with dogs? (with exceptions) .you must feel under pressure that the a further ban will see the end of the current exceptions.

That is your fight, not for the anglers.

Hang on, I am on rabbits side (that's a first!)

With field sports (hunting, shooting, ferreting, etc) you take your KILL home!! (people breed ducks, Pheasants, etc. just to be shot!).

Trout and Salmon anglers do the same.

Coarse anglers catch and release - so, no, it is not a FIELD sport any more than Golf is!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

as long as we have the right to kill fish any type of fishing will quite rightly be a blood sport - field sport is just a euphemism to stop it upsetting too many folks - if ever we lose the right to kill our catch then we should all hang up our gear.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Hang on, I am on rabbits side (that's a first!)

With field sports (hunting, shooting, ferreting, etc) you take your KILL home!! (people breed ducks, Pheasants, etc. just to be shot!).

Trout and Salmon anglers do the same.

Coarse anglers catch and release - so, no, it is not a FIELD sport any more than Golf is!!

Same old them and us attitude.

I was born on a council estate in Essex. Hardly Gentry <_<

The River Dee, where I now live is one of the top Salmon rivers in the UK. It can cost up to 2000.00 a week to rent a beat on here. The river Dee is over 90% catch and release, on a purely voluntary basis. I haven't killed a salmon in 5 years.

This is to encourage stock and is why the Dee is so good at the moment.

I go trout fishing several time a week. I don't eat trout, therefore I don't kill trout. The fishery where I fish for my trout is over 95% catch and release.

I think it is time you updated your prejudices, don't you <_<

BTW Rabbit, I have been fishing for Carp twice in the last 40 odd years. The first time 10 other carp anglers didn't catch anything either. This suggests possibly a problem with the venue, or possibly the conditions. The second time no-one else caught or saw a carp, so I don't feel that my lack of success makes me a bad person. Possibly our venues up here are a bit different to what you are used to.

BTW, for the last time, Golf is a game :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

What fight? I am not fighting against anything, but if you want to label me an anti fair enough, if that somehow authenticates your argument I can understand your plight, like I said hunt if you wish but don't try and convince yourself you have the support of the majority of anglers or the public, you don't. you might have the few on here that support you but they are the few,

If you think I am wrong please explain why an elected government banned hunting with dogs? (with exceptions) .you must feel under pressure that the a further ban will see the end of the current exceptions.

That is your fight, not for the anglers.

they banned it purely because they see it as a "gentryfied" sport thus in the communist eyes its an elitist sport and a class issue .

they also don't understand "country" either thinking that anyone living in the country is a toff or land owner so they banned it.

their advisers didn't mention though that the vast majority that goes hunting (fox hunting) are far from the toffs or land owners and are just every day country dwellers.

angling is safer because their fathers or forefathers probably went down the cut or nearby pond for a bit of fishing ,they may ofcourse pick on the "toffs" or "gentry" that own fishing rights on salmon beats because one of their ancestors was sent to australia for pinching a bit of game!

you have to remember labours roots ,manual workers from mines or factories few of those lived in the country but in towns ,they also forget a lot of mining towns were built by mine owners and factory owners too (gentry usualy from the country),but we'll overlook that bit.

they see country go together with wealth ,they cant execute them anymore like in russia and 1917 or china in its revolution so they just whittle away round the edges for spite.

shooting game birds will be next on the agenda its done in the country ,the problem is royalty do it so they will tread carefully untill their advisors come up with a scaled down version of a ban which gets the country dwellers singled out.

time for a song ,"the red flag" should do in this instance

had it been an animal welfare issue ,halal and cosher meat production ,dog licencing to stop puppy farms ,pet restrictions ,banning importation of animals and reptiles and a 101 other issues could have been far more beneficial to animals than banning fox hunting but far more problematic because no doupt a very high proportion of their members have pets etc.dont want to upset them so pick on the country folk who probably in their eyes are "blue" down to their socks!

Banning fox hunting wont save one fox ,but the poison suppliers (probably labour supporters) certainly will do ok out of it.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest Shots for fun
Could someone please define the phrase "field sport" ?

I've googled it and the main definition of the word comes up as "an outdoor sport" .........................

There you go, good Google. :rolleyes:

Guest Shots for fun
Field sports for the gentry... :wheelchair: all other for the plebs :fishing: .... ask Sportsman can't catch stockie carp <_<

You are a pleb and so am I

Happy to be a pleb <_<

I have rarely read such garbage as this before, i come from one of the most deprived and toughest area of London raised in the 50's and 60's.

I have enjoyed field sports for the last 40 years and i am far from Gentry, in fact i have never met anyone that could be described as gentry in all my field sport experiences, just normal everyday people going about their pursuit of their sport and enjoyment.

Mr Rabbit you do really need to get control of yourself and put some perspective back into your life.

Edited by Shots for fun