Do you consider angling a field sport?

thurso angler

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider angling a fieldsport?

• yes?
    • no?

Field sports for the gentry... :wheelchair: all other for the plebs :fishing: .... ask Sportsman can't catch stockie carp <_<

You are a pleb and so am I

Happy to be a pleb <_<

Gozzer

This me trying to get a grip on the subject, not a bad effort, give me some credit pleeease

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gozzer

This me trying to get a grip on the subject, not a bad effort, give me some credit pleeease

I assumed that was a "tongue in cheek" answer that's why I didn't take it seriously, and comment on it, Rabbit.

But if that's all I'm going to get, then so be it, I'll just have to make the assumption your whole argument is "tongue in cheek", and therefore invalid.

I'll give you credit for making a lot of posters think you had a genuine opinion on this subject, and 'sucking' them into arguing with you about it.

Well played. :thumbs:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I assumed that was a "tongue in cheek" answer that's why I didn't take it seriously, and comment on it, Rabbit.

But if that's all I'm going to get, then so be it, I'll just have to make the assumption your whole argument is "tongue in cheek", and therefore invalid.

I'll give you credit for making a lot of posters think you had a genuine opinion on this subject, and 'sucking' them into arguing with you about it.

Well played. :thumbs:

John.

Anglers / Fisherman who also shoot and hunt, or rather Shooters and Hunters that occasionally fish, would be keen to form a alliance with the anglers wouldn't they? In that way it would endorse their activities as acceptable to the wider public as indeed angling by and large is. So what better way to term all these activities Field Sports. its a Public Relations exercise but in the end has no benefit whatsoever to Angling and in the long run will only serve to diminish the good name of angling.

There is a distinction between the two activities, there may not have been years ago but Angling is to many a recreational past time, it is practised both in the country and urban environment, it is the most popular of all leisure activities, it does not bear the stigma of hunting, in spite of what a few on here will say by making comparisons by reasoning that angling is cruel and therefore we should feel guilty as anglers for what we do.

Fully expect another barrage of shot, but off fishing soon so well out of range :thumbs:

This thread is following the normal course of the ones on a subject that Rabbit (often alone) speaks against, with a high degree of contention in his comments.

It ends up being all about Rabbit and not about the original subject.

Surely thats not his intentions. :rolleyes:

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

This thread is following the normal course of the ones on a subject that Rabbit (often alone) speaks against, with a high degree of contention in his comments.

It ends up being all about Rabbit and not about the original subject.

Surely thats not his intentions. :rolleyes:

You imply that I am mischief making because I do not agree with some issues. Yes I do seem to stand alone against what would be pretty well divided argument outside this Forum. Perhaps then others that wish to share what I say are prefer not do so for fear of receiving such comment as this !!

In that case it may be better that I do not post, so at least there is no other views on here apart from the ones that seem to satisfy the want of a few.

I can tell you that many have gone the same way because the rounding on members if they do not toe the line with the more vociferous members on here

This is being played out yet again and it's all too plain to see, except to the ones who can actually do something to stop this site being more appealing to the many rather than the few.

Edited by Rabbit

Anglers / Fisherman who also shoot and hunt, or rather Shooters and Hunters that occasionally fish, would be keen to form a alliance with the anglers wouldn't they? In that way it would endorse their activities as acceptable to the wider public as indeed angling by and large is. So what better way to term all these activities Field Sports. its a Public Relations exercise but in the end has no benefit whatsoever to Angling and in the long run will only serve to diminish the good name of angling.

There is a distinction between the two activities, there may not have been years ago but Angling is to many a recreational past time, it is practised both in the country and urban environment, it is the most popular of all leisure activities, it does not bear the stigma of hunting, in spite of what a few on here will say by making comparisons by reasoning that angling is cruel and therefore we should feel guilty as anglers for what we do.

Fully expect another barrage of shot, but off fishing soon so well out of range :thumbs:

Speaking as an angler who shoots (I have never hunted) I have no desire or need to form an alliance with anyone. I have never met anyone who shoots who has professed any desire to form an alliance with anyone, in fact I have never met anyone who has even mentioned the idea, except some anglers. It is a myth, perpetrated by some angler who want to feel more important than they really are in the scheme of things.

The fact is that shooters do not feel that they would need to, and to be perfectly frank are not interested. If pressed most shooters would probably imagine that if push came to shove they could probably rely on support from anglers more than from the general public as they (mistakenly in some cases) see anglers as "brother" field sportsmen. This is because all of the shooters I know also fish.

Most of the Anti argument has nothing to do with cruelty to animals or animal welfare. If it did there would be no fishing, no factory farming and no intensive egg production. It is purely and simply class prejudice, a sort of inverted snobbery. What I dislike is the dishonesty and hypocrisy that surrounds it.

To me the term Field Sport encompasses hunting, chasing, catching, trapping or in any other way utilising, animals, including fish, birds and mammals, for personal enjoyment. It makes no difference whether the animal is killed or released at the end of the process.

I have no problem in admitting that I enjoy field sports, I wonder why some others do.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sportsman - you seem to be obsessed with it being a "class" thing.

Let me explain what I mean in my posting.

(please note this is MY opinion - not neccessarily others.)

FISHING: The act of catching fish wlth the idea of food supply (Sea FISHING, trawler FISHING, Boat sea FISHING with lines, Trout or Salmon FISHING, etc.)

Angling: The act of catching fish for pleasure only, thus resulting in the fish being returned to the water unharmed. The fish will be, in some cases, returned to the water in a better condition than they were!

So, OK, barbed question - fishing IS a field sport! - Angling is NOT!!!

By the way, I lived in South Africa for a long time and did the "hunting" thing, but stopped because I didn't enjoy it! The only animals I killed over there were thos who posed a direct threat to me (or my family) directly!......................And I am definitely not "upper class" or one of "them"?

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Rabbit, I can assure you that I wasn't hounding you, or picking on you, merely trying to get you to explain a statement you made. I would/have done this to others in the same situation.

You have now answered my query, thank you.

I can understand how some would like to separate angling from other 'field sports' due to the perceived stigma that surrounds them.

I think this is due to the modern 'sterile' view of life, influenced by much of the media, and some literature.

I am not a shooter, (unless you count shooting rats that invaded the chicken runs when I was a kid),

I do not ride a horse, hunt with dogs, trap with nets, but I do count angling as a form of hunting.

Whether it be stalking individual fish, luring a shoal into my swim, or laying down a bait on a known patrol route of fish, to entice them onto the hook.

I fail to see how anyone can not see it has a form of hunting.

If the only difference is the end result, then that IMO is a very minor point.

I'm not going into the obvious possible outcomes that can occur when we catch a fish, because you know them yourself, but suffice it to say that they are not always dissimilar to those that happen in other 'field sports', (despite what some anglers would like to believe).

I have often said on here that I don't like the direction angling is going, and that it will IMO be the cause of it's own demise. The condemnation of other similar 'sports' because we think angling is somehow 'superior' will be one of the reasons this happens. (IMO).

Enjoy your fishing, I hope it's a fruitful day. (I'm only jealous because my own outings are severely restricted these days. :) )

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

FISHING: The act of catching fish wlth the idea of food supply (Sea FISHING, trawler FISHING, Boat sea FISHING with lines, Trout or Salmon FISHING, etc.)

Angling: The act of catching fish for pleasure only, thus resulting in the fish being returned to the water unharmed. The fish will be, in some cases, returned to the water in a better condition than they were!

By the way, I lived in South Africa for a long time and did the "hunting" thing, but stopped because I didn't enjoy it! The only animals I killed over there were thos who posed a direct threat to me (or my family) directly!......................And I am definitely not "upper class" or one of "them"?

Klienboet, the angle in angling merely refers to catching fish by the use of a hook, not the reason for catching them.

As for the fish being returned in a better condition "sometimes", you know as well as I, that "sometimes" that's far from the truth.

John.

With respect KB it is not me who is hung up on the class thing

Field sports for the gentry... wheelchair.gif all other for the plebs fishing.gif .... ask Sportsman can't catch stockie carp dry.gif

You are a pleb and so am I

Happy to be a pleb dry.gif

I did explain proper us course anglers are coarse whilst the game anglers are truly part of the field sports fraternity, and sea anglers are probably on a level with coarse anglers but certainly not members of the field Sports Club.

You seem to make a distinction between coarse anglers and game anglers and you seem to be convinced that all game anglers kill everything that they catch.

I completely disagree with your distinction between the words fishing and angling, they are just words.

I tend to use the word fishing to describe what I do, whether it is fishing for coarse fish, game fish or sea fish. Some I kill, most I return.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/