Do you consider angling a field sport?

thurso angler

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider angling a fieldsport?

• yes?
    • no?

Swotisaid. Passtime, recreation, diversion.

Aye, but that's what "sport" used to mean. So in the old sense of the words, you get a Venn diagram like this:

venn.jpg

Interesting to think that "professional sport" is an oxymoron in that way of thinking, since if you are doing it for a living it isn't sport, it's work. Of course, words change, and now we think of a sport as being something which involves physical exertion and competition, though the requirement of pointlessness remains.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sportsman - Sorry to take so long in replying, as a carer I have been a bit busy!

Nowhere did I say them or us - I stated an opinion that field sports take their KILL home. Or are you going to include horseriding as a "field sport"?

Coarse angling is a sport practised at a water venue (be it river, lake or fishery) where there is strictly a catch and release rule for that water. Fishing in rivers that allow the fish to be taken is NOT (IMHO) a COARSE fishing venue!

If you want everybody to put the same answer as you - then why bother with a POLL!?

Sorry KB

I quote

Hang on, I am on rabbits side (that's a first!)

With field sports (hunting, shooting, ferreting, etc) you take your KILL home!! (people breed ducks, Pheasants, etc. just to be shot!).

[size=4]Trout and Salmon anglers do the same.[/size]

Coarse anglers catch and release - so, no, it is not a FIELD sport any more than Golf is!!

The bit that demonstrates the us and them attitude would be_

"Trout and salmon anglers do the same"

If you read my reply you will see that is what I was replying to.

I certainly do not want, or expect everyone to answer in the same way, in fact I am rather surprised and heartened at the result so far.

Of course, if I was on the losing side I would just say its not a representative vote :rolleyes:

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thats because its not a representative vote is it. There are what 11,000 ,members on AN only? 17 or so have voted 10 yes (deluded)and 7 correct. Also looking at the posters most are shooters anyway so theywould vote yes wouldn't they/

a minority is good enough to get a government voted in <_<

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Coarse angling is a sport practised at a water venue (be it river, lake or fishery) where there is strictly a catch and release rule for that water. Fishing in rivers that allow the fish to be taken is NOT (IMHO) a COARSE fishing venue!

How do you work that one out Kleinboet?

So if I take a perch or pike to eat, then, (in your opinion) I haven't been fishing for coarse fish in a coarse fishery? :blink:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Sportsman - Sorry to take so long in replying, as a carer I have been a bit busy!

A coarse fish is a fish that does not have an adipose fin, strictly speaking.

Any fishery that contains coarse fish is a coarse fishery, if that is what you are fishing for.

Many waters I fish contain both Trout and Perch..

There is no prerequisite for a coarse fishery to be catch and release, anymore than there is a prerequisite for a game fishery to be catch and kill.

To be honest, I prefer the taste of Perch and Pike to that of Trout or Salmon.

Before the uproar starts, I last killed a Pike intentionally ( don't of course know how many died after I released them :rolleyes: ) about 3 years ago.

I take perch that I catch accidentally at trout waters on a regular basis. Usually in the 12oz to a pound size range. Delicious and believe me, the waters I refer to can spare them.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thats because its not a representative vote is it. There are what 11,000 ,members on AN only? 17 or so have voted 10 yes (deluded)and 7 correct. Also looking at the posters most are shooters anyway so theywould vote yes wouldn't they/

its there for the 11000 members to vote on? the non voters we can only assume have no opinion on the matter?

we can only take from the results thus far, and as we see you are in the minority.

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Like a dog with a bone, and very zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I take it you haven't got an answer then?

Why didn't you say so in the first place, instead of having us all waiting with bated breath, for you to enlighten us?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I have rarely read such garbage as this before, i come from one of the most deprived and toughest area of London raised in the 50's and 60's.

I have enjoyed field sports for the last 40 years and i am far from Gentry, in fact i have never met anyone that could be described as gentry in all my field sport experiences, just normal everyday people going about their pursuit of their sport and enjoyment.

Mr Rabbit you do really need to get control of yourself and put some perspective back into your life.

Thanks I will bear that in mind Please be aware this was very much ''tongue in cheek'' but if you somehow can identify with it then maybe there is a grain of truth in it.

Gozzer this is all you are gonna get, hardly a subject to get all hot and bothered about really, move on.