Just a word or two please

poledark

Regarding "the death of the fox"; not being an expert on internal injuries, I saw no blood and guts (nothing to get excited about) No sign of "misery" simply acting dazed and shocked, while the vixen looked on with apparent concern from close by. I went over to the middle of the road to where the youngun was and it was siting still, obviously hurt, and so I warily reached down and muttered a few words. The fox then leaned against my leg (just like a dog does) and as I picked it up (to get out of the road) I felt the warmth and softness of it's fur (just like a dog). That was the crucial moment.

I carried it to the side of the road, and it simply died..........................

I find no moral issues with eating meat/fowl or fish, provided they are killed as quickly as possible. I find no issues with killing for food, no problem with catch and release fishing, as I am certain that fish do not experience pain and fear. I would still shoot rats in my garden, I quite like the ones by the lake, and will happily fire stones at the coots and tufties to scare them off.

I still get a slight "twitch" when I see a rabbit in a field, but now my interest is more in photographing them.

Mixed up? maybe, but I think there is a difference between those things and setting a dog/s to chase another animal. an animal which is warm blooded and capable of showing pleasure in living. I suppose I am a bit like the farmers who will happily rear their cows and send them to slaughter, but get all upset when they are put down due to F&M.

Fox Hunting? No, I don't like the idea much at all really, but I supported the right to hunt. I saw it as the start of a campaign which could have mushroomed into a ban on all other field sports, including fishing. I think we lost the battle there, but probably won the war.

So there you have it..a fox is very much like a dog....I have always lived with at least one dog., two of which I have cradled as the vet injected a lethal dose. Sadness of course, but as they had both lived happy and contented lives, they deseved a decent quick and painless death...............but I do still miss William.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Den, if I may reply? What you did to the young fox MANY of us would if we were truthful have done EXACTLY the same thing!! Hunters, Field sportists, vegans whatever!! Well perhaps not hardened farmers or huntsmen eh? As far as I am concerned you have NO reason whatsoever to explain yourself!!

And that from someone who would shoot or snare a fox or rabbit without thinking twice about it! I too enjoy watching the little buggers!! So it seems does the guy whom I have just bought a DVD of. Goes by the Pseudonym of "The Hunter" And shoots Rabbits, pigeons, doves, foxes etc. for a living! Mr John Darling. WHY?? Because it is Human Nature to do so.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I knew JD VERY well, fished with him, shot with him, we even worked for the same branch of the civil sevice.

We were partners in "The Fishing Race" and were very good friends for years. Lost touch though.

I was never aware that he did it for a living. Yes he wrote articles and books, but I would not class him as a professional hunter/shooter.

It is also human nature to have compassion and a respect for other living creatures, why is it that there are huge efforts being made to preserve wild creatures...to save them from the "sportmen" who simply like to kill them for some misguided reason.

If you need to prove you are a good shot, then do as many others do..shoot clays, or go field target shooting (that will test your skils)

I am not commenting any further, I can perceive a difference between setting dogs on other animals for pleasure, if you cannot then I would be simply wasting your time and mine continuing with this discussion.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I knew JD VERY well, fished with him, shot with him, we even worked for the same branch of the civil sevice.

We were partners in "The Fishing Race" and were very good friends for years. Lost touch though.

I was never aware that he did it for a living. Yes he wrote articles and books, but I would not class him as a professional hunter/shooter.

It is also human nature to have compassion and a respect for other living creatures, why is it that there are huge efforts being made to preserve wild creatures...to save them from the "sportmen" who simply like to kill them for some misguided reason.

If you need to prove you are a good shot, then do as many others do..shoot clays, or go field target shooting (that will test your skils)

I am not commenting any further, I can perceive a difference between setting dogs on other animals for pleasure, if you cannot then I would be simply wasting your time and mine continuing with this discussion.

Den

Den would that be the fishing race that was televised some years back. I saw an episode were the fishing was in a Fjord

and one of the previous teams to fish there paid a young woman to canoe slowly round an outcrop of rock naked.

The camera man and team couldn't believe their luck.

That wasn't you by any chance was it.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Den would that be the fishing race that was televised some years back. I saw an episode were the fishing was in a Fjord

and one of the previous teams to fish there paid a young woman to canoe slowly round an outcrop of rock naked.

The camera man and team couldn't believe their luck.

That wasn't you by any chance was it.

No Fred, I believe Den always kept his clothes on during filming. :headhurt:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Regarding "the death of the fox"; not being an expert on internal injuries, I saw no blood and guts (nothing to get excited about) No sign of "misery" simply acting dazed and shocked, while the vixen looked on with apparent concern from close by. I went over to the middle of the road to where the youngun was and it was siting still, obviously hurt, and so I warily reached down and muttered a few words. The fox then leaned against my leg (just like a dog does) and as I picked it up (to get out of the road) I felt the warmth and softness of it's fur (just like a dog). That was the crucial moment.

I carried it to the side of the road, and it simply died..........................

I find no moral issues with eating meat/fowl or fish, provided they are killed as quickly as possible. I find no issues with killing for food, no problem with catch and release fishing, as I am certain that fish do not experience pain and fear. I would still shoot rats in my garden, I quite like the ones by the lake, and will happily fire stones at the coots and tufties to scare them off.

I still get a slight "twitch" when I see a rabbit in a field, but now my interest is more in photographing them.

Mixed up? maybe, but I think there is a difference between those things and setting a dog/s to chase another animal. an animal which is warm blooded and capable of showing pleasure in living. I suppose I am a bit like the farmers who will happily rear their cows and send them to slaughter, but get all upset when they are put down due to F&M.

Fox Hunting? No, I don't like the idea much at all really, but I supported the right to hunt. I saw it as the start of a campaign which could have mushroomed into a ban on all other field sports, including fishing. I think we lost the battle there, but probably won the war.

So there you have it..a fox is very much like a dog....I have always lived with at least one dog., two of which I have cradled as the vet injected a lethal dose. Sadness of course, but as they had both lived happy and contented lives, they deseved a decent quick and painless death...............but I do still miss William.

Den

Den I hope my cheap shot at getting a rise from a goby irate rabbit did not upset you as it was not supposed to be aimed at you or your actions. I can see you have a connection between your heart, head and keyboard unlike some people.

Having said that we have very different views on hunting with hounds. To me fox hunting is a none starter because you can't take it home and eat it and I don't kill any thing for fun. But i firmly believe hunting with hounds is a far better way of controlling the fox population than shooting. Its no accident we have a healthier fox population than the rest of europe. shooting is completly indiscriminate where as the hounds tend to take out the week and old.

I never had any interest in going on a fox hunt until the talk of a ban seemed real then i went out a few times with the lakeland foot packs and i can honestly say most of what is said by antis is hype aimed at tugging at Joe publics heart strings and carries no truth. With hounds they have got the fox or they have'nt, with a gun who knows what gets away injured to die a slow painful death.

Having spent the last 30 years hunting, shooting and all round fishing, I can honestly say coarse fishing by far has given me the most concern for cruelty. no wonder to me the coarse anglers on here feel so touchy.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Den, My heart goes out to you - all animals deserve a bit of respect. I have a 20 year old cat that has decided enough is enough. He just lies around now sleeping, touch him and he purrs like mad.

He is in no pain, so I leave him alone.

But I am counting the days, as it won't be long now! :(:(:(

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Den, My heart goes out to you - all animals deserve a bit of respect. I have a 20 year old cat that has decided enough is enough. He just lies around now sleeping, touch him and he purrs like mad.

He is in no pain, so I leave him alone.

But I am counting the days, as it won't be long now! :(:(:(

John, I'm with you and Den on this one. My sweet long-haired dachshund will be 21 in November. He is slow to get around after waking, sleeps much of the time, but can trot down the hallway when he is sure the "food fairy" has left something in his food dish. I trust "Hank" is doing well, though.

Den I hope my cheap shot at getting a rise from a goby irate rabbit did not upset you as it was not supposed to be aimed at you or your actions. I can see you have a connection between your heart, head and keyboard unlike some people.

Having said that we have very different views on hunting with hounds. To me fox hunting is a none starter because you can't take it home and eat it and I don't kill any thing for fun. But i firmly believe hunting with hounds is a far better way of controlling the fox population than shooting. Its no accident we have a healthier fox population than the rest of europe. shooting is completly indiscriminate where as the hounds tend to take out the week and old.

I never had any interest in going on a fox hunt until the talk of a ban seemed real then i went out a few times with the lakeland foot packs and i can honestly say most of what is said by antis is hype aimed at tugging at Joe publics heart strings and carries no truth. With hounds they have got the fox or they have'nt, with a gun who knows what gets away injured to die a slow painful death.

Having spent the last 30 years hunting, shooting and all round fishing, I can honestly say coarse fishing by far has given me the most concern for cruelty. no wonder to me the coarse anglers on here feel so touchy.

So you comments were aimed at getting a rise from a goby irate rabbit was it.? Well I and others wouldn't be reading this climb down if it wasn't for yours truly bringing the up the fact what you wrote was out of order. You obviously love fox hunting and that is fine by me, but it is now banned , because the public wanted it banned, not my fault I didn't vote labour, and I am not a anti anything.

But you can't resist a side swipe at angling and anglers stating on a Angling Forum that you think angling is cruel. So will you not be happy until angling meets the same fate as fox hunting? i will therefore be happy to be gobbiy and irate just as long as you and yours post such ill conceived comment.