How stupid am I (Very pleased though!)

MatNewman

Hello everyone!

Well then lets get started.

I went ot a local commercial on Saturday. I had chosen a small pond and was prepared for a nice relaxing day with no specific targets.

All set up by 7:00am with float in water. Within 5 minutes the float dips under and I have my first tench this year. The day is steady with a few nice fish but nothing too exciting.

A man and his son arrived at the other side of the pond and started fishing. They didnt seem to do too well but in time the man went on to land a quality carp easily a double! He then caught another soon afterwards.

I shouted over and offered the use of my scales which he accepted. I put the fish in the sling and then lifted it onto the scales. I asked the man to guess - he guess a double. I said it was 5lb and added that they sometimes appear a lot bigger than they actually are. I posted a pic of me on here with "Guess the weight" a while ago which I will come back to.

The man quickly corrected me and said that the fish was 10.5lb and that I was actually looking at the weight in Kg!

He was absoleutly right! For the last 4 weeks both me and my mate have been weighing all fish wrong! On reflection the weights no make sense!

I had a sturgeon at 3.5 which was actually more like 8. The carp featured on Guess the weight is more like 13 as opposed to 6!

The only thing that makes this bearable is the fact that my mate was also wrong! I remember the 13lb carp that we didnt believe was 6 so weighed it with his scales for the same result!

There we go I feel better for sharing my stupidity with you all!

The day ended well as I tried a pellet about 6inches deep and took a 10lb Mirror - nice!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I Wish! Unfortunatey I had been taught how to use the scales an hour earlier and so it was 10lb!

Well done on having the guts to admit your mistake. Hows about reposting the original piccie again ?

EDIT : I've found it

post-8533-1188827317_thumb.jpg

....and i see yoy even got it wrong on TWO sets of scales....top bombing mate :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by nomadpaul

Maybe we should open a new competition - Gimboid of the Month.... :lol:;)

Don't worry Mat, we've all made mistakes when we've been out fishing. Maybe not that bad, but still mistakes :headhurt:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Funny you should say that Janet!! I once did something VERY similar!! Fishing the opening night of the season at HMS Sultan Moat. Friend had a GOOD BREAM as he put it and asked me to help weigh it. Well I have NEVER see, such a large fish before or since!! Anyway out come the scales and net. Zeroed said scales and put fish in. It weighed I think something like three and a half pounds?? So we were a LITTLE disappointed but as it was such a large fish he didn't want to keep it in the net. Later when it was a bit more light I looked again at the scales, they are AVON scales! The ones that revolve 3 times!!!!! So NOW what was the weight of the fish?? Of Course STUPID here had not seen the like before!! At the time the NotWorld was running a comp for fish of the week........ He would I reckon have got himself a record at least!!!

And you think YOU are stupid??? Get in the queue!! :D

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I have also had one of those im a stupid prat moments.

I loaded the car, dropped my lad of at work and drove to a local river for a nice relaxing morning.

I unloaded the car, started walking up the bank, stopped for a chat with two guys that were already fishing, off I went down the bank, 100 yards latter I stopped as I realised what I had done, swearing under my breath I walked back to the car.

I stopped and told the two guys and they were great offering me a few bits and pieces but I decided to go home and get …….. Yes I had left all my bait at home. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

The two guys looked after my gear while I drove home and got it.

gatso.gif