Bait changes

Errrm

Hi,

I was wondering how people change there baits as we progress into the colder months, currently I am favouring hemp and halibut pellets for river fishing. I think I am going to swap the halibut pellets for sweetcorn and possibly some micro halibut pellets for the next month. 2 reasons for this, first the larger pellets I use for baits are not as effective and the fish have more trouble digesting them ( this being the most obvious ) but secondly with hair rigged pellets I had 4 chub pick up the bait but not by enough to get the hook as well ( and after catching a large barbel i fancy one of the submarine like chub I saw :-) ). So I am going to switch to corn directly on the hook. How does everyone elses approach differ on rivers? Do you continue to use hemp, I'm guessing it is still a good attractant and isn't filling enough so that in winter fish will get full just on the hemp plus it will hold the fish as it does as normal. Are these assumptions correct?

Errrm

For me its time for the liquidised bread on the rivers with breadflake as bait.

On the canals i'm on squats and bloodworm etc.

Lakes i'll pretty much avoid now until next spring.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

All depends on the lake/river, day and whether the fish are on the feed at the time, some places the carp switch off on the pellet and paste some still love it. You can go to the river and barbel can do the same. 2 lakes near me are crazy i can go whne theres frost on the ground and still catch on top using floating bread.

Now its colder id probaley change me paste and pellet to maggot and worms as most places the carp or any fish arent up to feeding on much. Id just feed very little and sometimes not at all on some places as i fish.

But mostly now ill be tucked up in bed laughng as me grandad goes off in the mornin and laughing when he gets back haing blanked again :D

Edited by rooney888
84854438.png

Pretty much maggots and worms for me from now till the end of the season. Will occasionally use bread and when it's mild and I fancy a bit of barbelling will still use halibuts for barbel - but with no loose feed at all...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Hi,

I was wondering how people change there baits as we progress into the colder months, currently I am favouring hemp and halibut pellets for river fishing. I think I am going to swap the halibut pellets for sweetcorn and possibly some micro halibut pellets for the next month. 2 reasons for this, first the larger pellets I use for baits are not as effective and the fish have more trouble digesting them ( this being the most obvious ) but secondly with hair rigged pellets I had 4 chub pick up the bait but not by enough to get the hook as well ( and after catching a large barbel i fancy one of the submarine like chub I saw :-) ). So I am going to switch to corn directly on the hook. How does everyone elses approach differ on rivers? Do you continue to use hemp, I'm guessing it is still a good attractant and isn't filling enough so that in winter fish will get full just on the hemp plus it will hold the fish as it does as normal. Are these assumptions correct?

Errrm

Hemp is good all year round. Try it on the hook too (or a tare) for big roach.

I tend to use bread more as the weather cools, especially for chub and roach. I also use maggots more as the tiny fish become less of a problem. Worm is the other bait I'll be using a lot, for pretty much everything, but especially perch.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Errrm you're fine to still use fish based pellets in the winter albeit in maybe slightly smaller sizes, in fact a smelly bait like that will probably stand you in good stead in a Winter flood...

If you're after the Chub then it's not worth the effort of hair rigging baits. Just side hook the baits and you'll get a much better fish to bites ratio..

Yep, side hooking corn (plastic) will work well,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Yep, side hooking corn (plastic) will work well,

Den

I did have a preference to use fake corn when I initially decided to switch to hemp and corn with just a few micro pellets but having never used fake corn I'm still not convinced by it... I guess making the initial change is probably the hardest change to make.

Errrm

Errrm, have a look on the sesion carp forum..."thought you might like to see this" All on fake corn.................we, (he and I), had about 50+ fish last month on fake corn...mine on method, his using pva mesh.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Errrm, have a look on the sesion carp forum..."thought you might like to see this" All on fake corn.................we, (he and I), had about 50+ fish last month on fake corn...mine on method, his using pva mesh.

Den

That's put my mind at ease :-).

Do you use the enterprise range? I think that is the one that my local shop stocks. the swims I'm planning to fish this weekend will be clear water a couple of feet deep so I should be able to see how the fish react to the bait as well so it should be interesting.