Government dumps its fishy problem overboard

Elton

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't that I didn't support the bass plan Ken, like you I would support anything beneficial to fish and anglers, it should have gone through for the sake of the fish independent of any other factors. It was the side effects many didnt like. Non Bass anglers were likely to have our catches restricted and to have to pay a licence fee in return for ziltch. Now the bass anglers are in the same situation (ie nothing in return for their money), so they should now see things from the same perspective. I note from one of your earlier posts that you feel the government can lodge their license in a place the sun don't shine, this is a marked change in your position from 6 months ago when you were happy to pay to have your voice heard. Don't like to say I told you so but the sooner you all wake up and stand in opposition to the government the better. When the rsa startegy comes out make a reply and tell them where to stick their regulations (thats if your not fooled (again) by the tope bullshit they are going to try fooling you all with .

So we are going to get our sea fishing licence and bag limits, with nothing in exchange ?

Of course when Defra announce this they can say that, "after consulting with representatives of the Recreational Sea Anglers it has been decided........".

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

It wasn't that I didn't support the bass plan Ken, like you I would support anything beneficial to fish and anglers, it should have gone through for the sake of the fish independent of any other factors. It was the side effects many didnt like. Non Bass anglers were likely to have our catches restricted and to have to pay a licence fee in return for ziltch. Now the bass anglers are in the same situation (ie nothing in return for their money), so they should now see things from the same perspective. I note from one of your earlier posts that you feel the government can lodge their license in a place the sun don't shine, this is a marked change in your position from 6 months ago when you were happy to pay to have your voice heard. Don't like to say I told you so but the sooner you all wake up and stand in opposition to the government the better. When the rsa startegy comes out make a reply and tell them where to stick their regulations (thats if your not fooled (again) by the tope bullshit they are going to try fooling you all with .

Hi Glenn,

At one point in time I was hopeful we were moving in the right direction and receiving some form of recognition, I think if you look back my comments were always subject to a fair return.

I did as stated in the early days have some doubts about the Bass Plan because of the singularity of it's aim.

However when BB gave it the green light I thought it was done and dusted, how wrong could one be and how two faced could the Labour party be.

Having said that I still firmly believe we have to stick in there, these policies were fashioned by a government body not RSAs, the license was on the table almost before the table was built. I have always felt it was another tax, but I also hoped it would give us a voice and this is what we must continue to fight for. We either get a license with nothing or a license with something, either way we are going to get the license.

Hi Ken,

All SFCs can introduce conservation measures via local byelaws. This includes mesh sizes.

AndyR

Hi Andy,

That is true but only out six miles as I understand it, beyond that it has to be EU policies. Maybe in fairness this new guy thought that made the whole thing worthless but if so he would have done better to have openly stated that rather than just kick it into touch.

So we are going to get our sea fishing licence and bag limits, with nothing in exchange ?

Of course when Defra announce this they can say that, "after consulting with representatives of the Recreational Sea Anglers it has been decided........".

Hi Cranfield,

They no doubt will say that, that is a typical political ploy, I have yet to find a politician who is not a master at trying to pass the buck.

However that will not change the fact that long before any RSAs were involved the license was on the agenda. There is still hope yet the Bass Plan was an independent issue not linked the the marine strategy, maybe the sun will shine if we keep on their case.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

All SFCs can introduce conservation measures via local byelaws

Yep, they'll put it on one of their quarterly agendas; argue the toss for a couple more meetings and probably vote it down at Byelaws Committee stage (usually a 'commercial' majority).

Should anything near the original proposal pass Joint Committee (say 18 months - 2 years), then a submission/proposal is made to the Secretary of State who MUST endorse it and more often than not finds some legal/technical reason not to.

It's a larf, though!

:lol:

Hiya,

It was to be expected, without the support of every angler in England (was going to say UK but the attitude of some on here would make that all but impossible) you were never going to go far.

Too many people seen this as a bid by a few to improve their fishing for one species in their local area, which in turn caused the usual backlash of lack of support.

Do you know what, the bass was looking for support and it was confirmed that it was too secular by the likes of yourself Davy and also some of the guys from the north sea, today i get a copy mail from the SSACN looking for support regarding taking fish for the table. The organization of the SSACN is a combination of three organizations, futher why do you look for support from southerners if you consider the bass issue is not for you and why do you consider to merge three groups into one if you are happy to see the rsa divided. Is that to give SSACN more clout? If so why didn't you support the bass issue, then the likes of the southerners would be more than happy to lend support in what the SSACN do. Now i haven't a clue where my loyalties should lie.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I know where mine lie, that document is crazy. Preaching to others catch and release and fish size limits. Its going nowhere fast. The SSACN will just alienate itself from the a large group of anglers even inside Scotland. Stop pointing the finger at anglers and get the real reason behind your fish stocks problems tackled.

I also received this email and was slightly bemused.

After you get past the question as to why is there a separate Scottish SACN and the twee slogan "Give Fish a Chance", the recommended size limits which I assume refer to the local stocks of fish, are quite irrelevant in other parts of the UK, where certain species are not at the same levels as Scotland.

Does the next email contain details of recommended bag limits ?

Being charitable I have assumed that members of the SACN in other parts of the UK were sent this email "for information only", as an example of what the SSACN is doing in Scotland.

Any other explanation would be risible.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

APOLOGIES ..... I have misplaced this post and meant for it to be under 'Bass Discards' ....

much of it still applies (sorry to the SSACN debate!)

It's hard to follow up some of the sincere but cynical replies on these threads ...

all the same, I'm a dedicated and passionate sea angler who has been lucky to have started fishing through the 50s and 60s with limited technology (almost everything has changed for the better there); but with loadsa fish and opportunities.

Through my work overseas I was able to sample the delights of game fishing as a 'deckie' on the Sea Wolfe outa Bermuda ..... oh, boy!

But then I missed my winter nights with the cod and spring days with the plaice and believe it not, through some freaks of nature, have had the best year for many for those species.

Then at my age 'Meldrew Syndrome' sets in!

It bugs me that SOME commercial methods and excesses have 'boogered up' what I had here on the S Coast. Sea beds scrapped clean by beamers and dredges (and, as a concession to Steve, the untethered aggregates rapists); gill nets up to the bottom of the groynes; longlines scattered haphazardly and indiscriminately throughout the Solent. (Pull one up, accidentally, and see the dozens of baby dead tope and smuts!)

Look wider and see the demersal stocks decimated throughout the UK, in fact globally!

Look at the state of mid-water species like mackerel and herring.

In fact go through the whole food chain and look at what's happened to the sandeels and some invertebrate food sources (hermit crabs?????).

Well, I got off my butt and wrote and spoke about what I saw happening everywhere.

I joined NFSA, SACN, (and remember the ACA?) and became a licensed coach (education perhaps???). I accepted a place on a SFC and spent 2 1/2 years as a solitary RSA voice (my own!) and may have done a bit of good.

I got into argument and occasional altercation and abuse.

Would I have changed anything, given another chance?????

Well, yes, I would ..... I'd start 'at home' and shake every recreational angler by the throat until they all realised what was happening to our pastime and others' ways of life.

There lays a real problem!

Then, I'd kick their myopic bums all the way to Parliament and bang on doors at Whitehall until EVERYONE noticed!

Then ............

I'd wake up and rub my eyes and grab a bucket and fork!

;)

Edited by H.A.

APOLOGIES ..... I have misplaced this post and meant for it to be under 'Bass Discards' ....

much of it still applies (sorry to the SSACN debate!)

It's hard to follow up some of the sincere but cynical replies on these threads ...

all the same, I'm a dedicated and passionate sea angler who has been lucky to have started fishing through the 50s and 60s with limited technology (almost everything has changed for the better there); but with loadsa fish and opportunities.

Through my work overseas I was able to sample the delights of game fishing as a 'deckie' on the Sea Wolfe outa Bermuda ..... oh, boy!

But then I missed my winter nights with the cod and spring days with the plaice and believe it not, through some freaks of nature, have had the best year for many for those species.

Then at my age 'Meldrew Syndrome' sets in!

It bugs me that SOME commercial methods and excesses have 'boogered up' what I had here on the S Coast. Sea beds scrapped clean by beamers and dredges (and, as a concession to Steve, the untethered aggregates rapists); gill nets up to the bottom of the groynes; longlines scattered haphazardly and indiscriminately throughout the Solent. (Pull one up, accidentally, and see the dozens of baby dead tope and smuts!)

Look wider and see the demersal stocks decimated throughout the UK, in fact globally!

Look at the state of mid-water species like mackerel and herring.

In fact go through the whole food chain and look at what's happened to the sandeels and some invertebrate food sources (hermit crabs?????).

Well, I got off my butt and wrote and spoke about what I saw happening everywhere.

I joined NFSA, SACN, (and remember the ACA?) and became a licensed coach (education perhaps???). I accepted a place on a SFC and spent 2 1/2 years as a solitary RSA voice (my own!) and may have done a bit of good.

I got into argument and occasional altercation and abuse.

Would I have changed anything, given another chance?????

Well, yes, I would ..... I'd start 'at home' and shake every recreational angler by the throat until they all realised what was happening to our pastime and others' ways of life.

There lays a real problem!

Then, I'd kick their myopic bums all the way to Parliament and bang on doors at Whitehall until EVERYONE noticed!

Then ............

I'd wake up and rub my eyes and grab a bucket and fork!

;)

More or less gone the same route apart from sitting on a SFC my heart goes out to you on that one.

I have been chewing the fat over the last couple of days and I have come to the conclusion we have to take this fight to the EU and in order to do that we have not only to unite the UK under one flag but France, Spain, Ireland any EU country with RSAs which would be a body numbering in millions, then we can take them on. We will never come out of the EU no matter who's in power so that has to be the level to fight at. How the hell we get that one off the ground I am not sure but to me it seems the only way forward.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist