Organised Firework Displays

Ken L

I can't make one this weekend but just decided to have a look on the web to see if my local council was running any displays next week so I could take a girlfriend and her lad.

It turns out that Birmingham city council are organising a total of two events this year. One is sit down only at Edgbaston cricket ground (yawn !) where there won't even be a fire or a fair and the only other one is a Pype Hayes Park. Both are this weekend.

Now I'm all for encouraging peple to go to organised displays but come on, Birmingham is a city of more than a million people they could do better than this !

Am I the only person with a cr@p local authority ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. More than a million people live in Birmingham.

:D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Well, the 2001 cencus said 977,087 but I suspect that it might have gone up a bit since then.

Edit: Just for the sake of clarity, the Birmingham cencus figures wouldn't have included Sandwell, Dudley, Wolverhampton, Walsall and Solihull. There are no green fields separating them though. Addd this lot into the mix and what people tend to thinkof a Birming ham probably comes our nearer 5m.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I can't make one this weekend but just decided to have a look on the web to see if my local council was running any displays next week so I could take a girlfriend and her lad.

It turns out that Birmingham city council are organising a total of two events this year. One is sit down only at Edgbaston cricket ground (yawn !) where there won't even be a fire or a fair and the only other one is a Pype Hayes Park. Both are this weekend.

Now I'm all for encouraging peple to go to organised displays but come on, Birmingham is a city of more than a million people they could do better than this !

Personally I think fireworks should be banned, fullstop.

But its a multi million pound business and the government would do anything.

These so called fireworks go off from mid October till mid November in my area and most of the time its teenagers doing it for a laugh,not for the actual display of colour.

Call me a killjoy,but thats what comes of growing older and wiser.

RonB.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Ken..............sit down mate...............we agree on this COMPLETELY! ;)

I used to go to the council one at Cofton park near the Lickey Hills. Was always a good display with the bonfire and fair too. I'm not actually sure why they stopped doing it?

Anyway, I now go elsewhere to a display which is FAR better than the council displays ever were.............bad news for you though is its tomorrow night, sorry.

Personally I think fireworks should be banned, fullstop.

My goodness.

Why?

Kids have enjoyed making things go BOOM for lots of years and the real idiots remove themselves from the gene pool which has to be a good thing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil
.............and the real idiots remove themselves from the gene pool which has to be a good thing.

C'mon newt, you is still here my man!!!! :P:D

we agree on this COMPLETELY!

OMG ! (Secular version of course)

That's twice in the space of 12 months !

I think I need a holliday.

My goodness.

Why?

Kids have enjoyed making things go BOOM for lots of years and the real idiots remove themselves from the gene pool which has to be a good thing.

A bit harsh even for you Newt. I am trying to think of a just one good reason for not banning fireworks err nope cant think of one right now.

Thing is Newt fireworks in the wrong hands which are normally teenagers intent on causing maximum discomfort for folk, two weeks before the 5th and about two weeks after.

About 20 miles north of where I live one fireman is dead and three are missing as a result of a warehouse blaze, arson is suspected, try telling you think explosives should be allowed to sold legally to every nutter to the family of those fireman.

Try telling it to the shopkeeper who had a commercial firework display of 500 rockets set off in his small shop, putting him and his young child at risk.Try telling it to the old people who are terrorised by thugs with fireworks, not to mention the animals who are scared witless.

Don't get me wrong Newt if you find the need to defend your ill thought out comment I do support controlled firework displays run by trained people, but I do not support the mass availability of fireworks to the public.

Think about it, only sensible replies will be tolerated.

Edited by Rabbit

A bit harsh even for you Newt. I am trying to think of a just one good reason for not banning fireworks err nope cant think of one right now.

Thing is Newt fireworks in the wrong hands which are normally teenagers intent on causing maximum discomfort for folk, two weeks before the 5th and about two weeks after.

About 20 miles north of where I live one fireman is dead and three are missing as a result of a warehouse blaze, arson is suspected, try telling you think explosives should be allowed to sold legally to every nutter to the family of those fireman.

Try telling it to the shopkeeper who had a commercial firework display of 500 rockets set off in his small shop, putting him and his young child at risk.Try telling it to the old people who are terrorised by thugs with fireworks, not to mention the animals who are scared witless.

Don't get me wrong Newt if you find the need to defend your ill thought out comment I do support controlled firework displays run by trained people, but I do not support the mass availability of fireworks to the public.

Think about it, only sensible replies will be tolerated.

So, the world according to Rabbit states that if a few idiots misuse anything, then it should be taken away from those who made perfectly sensible and lawful use of it. We shouldn't punish the unlawful few, but the law-abiding majority should have their privileges taken away "just in case"

Great. How do we vote for you as PM?

Tell you what, I've lost two close relatives and a good mate to car crashes. Let's ban cars, too. Cars, in the wrong hands, "cause maximum discomfort", after all. I've been to the funerals. Trust me, it was uncomfortable every time.

Fireworks, in the right hands, are a perfectly pleasant way of entertaining people. They have done so for centuries.

Quite how you had the nerve to state that "only sensible replies will be tolerated" is beyond me. Oh, sorry, I forgot; you've made it your life's work to wind Newt up at every opportunity.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE