You wouldn't want yo be stung by this

poledark

The wee fella is a german wasp (Vespula germanica). It would have been cool if you could have got all three species to pose together for a photo.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

even the little critter at the top of the leaf has passed out with fright :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

the little wasp is a wood wasp (or german) pretty laid back compared to its larger brothers ,i did a post about a nest in our house a couple of years ago. i got stung just the once brushing one out of my hair .i blocked the hole up once winter came .plenty still about theres a nest somewhere in the roof but weve been unable to find it ,3 now dead ordinary wasp nests too.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i had a young hornet(still damn large)in my bathroom the other week(god knows how he got in,i suspect he may have got in via a roof vent and they may have set up shop in the loft

either way hes deadddddddddddd now!

il pop up the loft soon and look for evidence of his kin,then il kill them all......

cruel as it maybe,but with kids moaning at me to "come and kill this dad" i see it as fair game,they have thier zone outside and mine inside,and if they venture in then its fair game...

even the kids have got skilled at using a boot and leaving funny brown patches on the walls for me to repaint!:)(thankfully not that kinda brown mark)!!:)

Edited by billy50000

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

i had a young hornet(still damn large)in my bathroom the other week(god knows how he got in,i suspect he may have got in via a roof vent and they may have set up shop in the loft

either way hes deadddddddddddd now!

il pop up the loft soon and look for evidence of his kin,then il kill them all......

cruel as it maybe,but with kids moaning at me to "come and kill this dad" i see it as fair game,they have thier zone outside and mine inside,and if they venture in then its fair game...

even the kids have got skilled at using a boot and leaving funny brown patches on the walls for me to repaint!:)(thankfully not that kinda brown mark)!!:)

I don't kill anything for my kids, never have, if they want it dead they can kill it themselves. Now spiders and creepy crawlies don't get killed in our house.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

the little wasp is a wood wasp (or german) pretty laid back compared to its larger brothers ,i did a post about a nest in our house a couple of years ago. i got stung just the once brushing one out of my hair .i blocked the hole up once winter came .plenty still about theres a nest somewhere in the roof but weve been unable to find it ,3 now dead ordinary wasp nests too.

Sorry mate but the little wasp is not a wood wasp (Urocerus gigas) or at least isn't where I come from. The female woodwasp is a pretty scary looking creature, but it is totally harmless. It is not a true wasp either it is a xylophagous sawfly.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I've got a wasp's nest in the sash box of one of my upstairs windows this year. From what I've read they empty out over winter and don't use the same nest twice, so it can just stay there. I reckon it will improve the insulation! I'll block up the hole when I'm sure they've all gone. Strange that none of them have come into the house via the hole above the pulley wheel?

My dad once got the council round to remove one from inside the roof of his sheds; when they got it out it was the size of a suitcase!

Sorry mate but the little wasp is not a wood wasp (Urocerus gigas) or at least isn't where I come from. The female woodwasp is a pretty scary looking creature, but it is totally harmless. It is not a true wasp either it is a xylophagous sawfly.

when i said wood i meant tree perhaps (although the german has wood wasp as another name) the little beggers i had in the loft differend from germans one faces so i presume they were tree ones not wood ,we cant see dens one so its "probably" a woody (german) not a tree..eey as they are commoner

http://www.uknature.co.uk/D.sylvestris-info.html

this says they are aggressive mine were the reverse veeery laid back ,its a pity the pictures gone in my post about them to compare.

wood wasp seems to cover many insects (including yours) but this smaller wasp is common and commonly (perhaps just around here) called a wood wasp perhaps we just cant bring ourselves to admit the germans did invade and are here to stay

Edited by chesters1

when i said wood i meant tree perhaps (although the german has wood wasp as another name) the little beggers i had in the loft differend from germans one faces so i presume they were tree ones not wood ,we cant see dens one so its "probably" a woody (german) not a tree..eey as they are commoner

http://www.uknature.co.uk/D.sylvestris-info.html

this says they are aggressive mine were the reverse veeery laid back ,its a pity the pictures gone in my post about them to compare.

wood wasp seems to cover many insects (including yours) but this smaller wasp is common and commonly (perhaps just around here) called a wood wasp perhaps we just cant bring ourselves to admit the germans did invade and are here to stay

OK Now I understand, German Wasp, Tree Wasp. I did not know that this existed in the UK so I have learned something new today. In France they are very anal about hornets, les frelons They are notifiable, if you don't report a nest to the authorities you are commiting a crime. When you report a nest they will send out a cyberman to kill them.

A mate of mine in the south of France made the mistake of telling the neighbours that he had a family of frelon in his shed. They didn't bother him, he didn't bother them, they are not really aggressive unless you wind them up. He felt a bit like a traitor when the firemen came and killed them.

There is a little sand wasp that you get in France (Bembix rostrata). I don't know if we get them but they live in little tunnels in the lawns here. They are a solitary wasp and are not aggressive, but if you annoy them, stick a dry grass stem down their hole for example, they can give you a really sore sting, much worse than your common wasp.

If you did learn something new today, it's all in your head.

Edited by corydoras

we pulled out a field of grapes whilst in france (boss had to wait months for permission) and in the process got covered in juice (grapes were ripe) clouds of insects some huge (like hornets but brighter) got bitten several times ,the biter was a tiny tiny fly not all the other brutes :D