Pike exam

Anderoo

Sorry but i cant see that pike are any more vulnerable or important to a fishery than any other predator like say perch.

Interestingly Ive just been reading Keith Arthur's bit in this week AT about some report that says pike are one species that's doing OK.

Maybe we would be better off bring in an exam to fish for Salmon, Sea trout or eels.

Unlike perch, pike are the apex predator in most waters (if you don't count otters & cormorants)

I hazard a guess fewer anglers target perch than pike (due to the size) hence the need to educate/protect them more

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike perch, pike are the apex predator in most waters (if you don't count otters & cormorants)

I hazard a guess fewer anglers target perch than pike (due to the size) hence the need to educate/protect them more

After spending thirty years catching, handling bass, conger, rays etc why would i need to sit some exam as one owner has suggested for the pike? No disrepects.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

After spending thirty years catching, handling bass, conger, rays etc why would i need to sit some exam as one owner has suggested for the pike? No disrepects.

From a previous post:

Everyone should have to do it, regardless of how long they've fished for pike. It's a couple of hours of your life, that's all. If you know it all already, so what? Besides which, you might just learn something new. Remember that the club doesn't know if you're telling the truth either - you could be a novice who claims to be an expert. Plenty of those around!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A lot has been said about the need for 'proper' pike equipment I would just like to add this;

A few weeks ago I went for a short session on a new stretch of canal to me.

I always take the 'proper' equipment for the type of fishing I am doing, which in this case was float fishing for perch, single hook and mono line.

I did not expect to hook never mind land, a pike which took my bait.

I was not equipped with long forceps that day, and fortunately the pike had hooked itself right in the scissors which was easily dealt with and the fish returned safely, but it does highlight the absurdity of legislation to ensure having the 'proper' equipment to hand.

The real issue is education on fish handling and that is relevant for all fish.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I wouldn't disagree for one minute that pike are at the top of the food chain in most waters or that there very important, but i wouldn't underestimate the importance other predators like perch and chub play in the balance on our waters either.

you might be right that more anglers target pike than perch, but there's plenty of perch get deep hooked whether being fished for or not and i know some people on here try to educate other anglers of how vulnerable perch are. so i don't see pike as being some special case.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Would guys who have been fishing for thirty odd years need to sit an exam just to fish for pike, appears to be a bit daft to me. :huh:

they are probably the worst offenders ,they and their older peers were certainly the most objecting to mandatory unhooking mats ,"i'v done without them for XX years "was the well heard excuse from them ,they all complied in the end either that like the pike stamp they lost their permits!

rules are rules and whilst i bend towards leniency when its a rule that protects the fish its a good rule for everyone.

if they dont like it theres plenty of other clubs to join

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

they are probably the worst offenders ,they and their older peers were certainly the most objecting to mandatory unhooking mats ,"i'v done without them for XX years "was the well heard excuse from them ,they all complied in the end either that like the pike stamp they lost their permits!

rules are rules and whilst i bend towards leniency when its a rule that protects the fish its a good rule for everyone.

if they dont like it theres plenty of other clubs to join

Unhooking mats Chesters, just seen the repeat of the magical water Redmire episode with Chris Yates, he wasn't using one in amongst the nettles.

Errrrrrrrrrm, would the teach in include fish recipies, yummy. :)

Sorry guys :whistling:

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Unhooking mats Chesters, just seen the repeat of the magical water Redmire episode with Chris Yates, he wasn't using one in amongst the nettles.

Errrrrrrrrrm, would the teach in include fish recipies, yummy. :)

Sorry guys :whistling:

one was using a kelly kettle and knotty landing net in the frensham slot of the passion for angling vid but as usual some flout rules witth impunity ,don't make them correct though

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

one was using a kelly kettle and knotty landing net in the frensham slot of the passion for angling vid but as usual some flout rules witth impunity ,don't make them correct though

He was also using a dick walker reel and don't know about his split cane rod, that was as well i think. The landing net looked to be around that time as well.

Thats it Yates'y get back to school you heathen. :lol:

A lot has been said about the need for 'proper' pike equipment I would just like to add this;

A few weeks ago I went for a short session on a new stretch of canal to me.

I always take the 'proper' equipment for the type of fishing I am doing, which in this case was float fishing for perch, single hook and mono line.

I did not expect to hook never mind land, a pike which took my bait.

I was not equipped with long forceps that day, and fortunately the pike had hooked itself right in the scissors which was easily dealt with and the fish returned safely, but it does highlight the absurdity of legislation to ensure having the 'proper' equipment to hand.

The real issue is education on fish handling and that is relevant for all fish.

Were you using fish baits?

No-one's mentioned legislation. In fact I went to great lengths to make it clear that's not what I had in mind!

If you own forceps, why not always take them with you? I always carry a pair, regardless of what fishing I'm doing. They take up no room, and you never know what might happen, even if it's helping out someone else. They can be a great help for species other than pike anyway, e.g. perch, chub, trout.

I agree that the real issue is education, and that's what the point of all this is. Why not start with a fish which is known to be vunerable and which is necessary for a healthy fishery? Much more so than perch, which, incidentally, are usually fished for is a 'standard coarse fishing' way rather than the specific methods and baits used for pike fishing.

I suppose the two questions to ask are, (1) will it achieve anything? and (2) will it do any harm?

Personally, I think (1) yes and (2) no.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music