What is it they say about boats??

Davy Holt

If the belt went that soon you might have a claim against the belt maker, I was told they have a guarentee with some of them... look into it, might save you some money.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davy - if you are strictly speaking of the timing setup, wouldn't an engine with a chain rather than a belt (as mentioned above I think) be a little less likely to snap? Might get old and a little stretched and slip a notch but that is only annoying rather than a disaster.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

The belts were brand new when the engines were fitted around a year and a half ago. Having done the maths when the engines were fitted I was working on plan of belt changing every 2 years. So either my maths was well out or it was a faulty belt   :(

I'm now going to err on the side of caution and do a yearly belt change.. just in case.   :)  

:cool:

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

The belts were brand new when the engines were fitted around a year and a half ago. Having done the maths when the engines were fitted I was working on plan of belt changing every 2 years. So either my maths was well out or it was a faulty belt   :(

I'm now going to err on the side of caution and do a yearly belt change.. just in case.   :)  

:cool: There could be some dodgy belts around as a chum of mine had one go after less than 10,000 miles on his Vauxhaul, it wrecked the engine. He complained to the garage and they said,"it's just one of those things, not our problem". He took the belt to an independant engineer who stated the the belt was a cheap, inferior imitation, not a genuine Vauxhaul belt, the garage fitted a new/recon engine FOC sooner than lose their servicing franchise for using non standard parts. The seller is responsible for the quality of the products they sell. If the belt is a cheap, inferior one that doesn't have the lifespan of the service reccommendation then see a lawer as it's not of merchantable quality and they are liable for your costs. Have a word with ST or one of his mates. :D

If you ever get anti-freeze, brake fluid or engine oil onto a timing belt it can shorten it's life dramatically. Anti-freeze causes the component parts of the belt to separate, oils cause a degredation. I change my belts every year.

Newt:

wouldn't an engine with a chain rather than a belt (as mentioned above I think) be a little less likely to snap?

It would be nice Newt, but it would mean replacing all the marinisation parts x 2 that's just short of a grand per engine, not counting the cost of the engine

So I'll stick to what I have :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I have to say, what a weekend!!! As if you could have a bad one up there. I am starting to belive that im a jonah!(and you lot are enviting me back up to scrabster! :rolleyes: ) Even without the fish/misshap ide seen some pretty breathtaking things.Those dolphins where incredible. Also seen wild goats for the first time, and an otter was playing 30 yards infront of us too....As i said to davy. All these things one could wait years and years to see..... Just another weekend up at lochaline...

Tight Lines

Shaun