Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

..,up to the last second of life they have been totally wild ,pampered and protected ...
That's not always true Chesters. Pheasants are useless mothers. A female might lay a dozen or so eggs. left to her own devices she will rear 3 or 4. The estate that I spent the tail end of my life in the country used to have one or two huge 'cages' in the wood where the females nested. The gamekeeper, with the young Cory in tow (my Dad was a tractorman so I never was allowed to hang about much with him, tractors and kids don't mix) would collect the pheasants eggs and they would be put under clocking hens who would hatch out the pheasants eggs. Hens are very good mothers so most of these survived. Once the chicks were a few weeks old they were put in big tent things with paraffin lamps to keep them warm. Once they were big enough to fend for themselves they would be released, but still fed from time to time. We did not worry to much about foxes, the gamekeeper was paid to eradicate them. I never got a good look at a live fox until many years later when I moved to Southampton.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had a training spell under lord colemans gamekeeper so know from hatch to death they are well looked after ,true they are bad mothers but do raise chicks unaided who then go into the wild.mostly though its our damp weather .

he had corregated iron sheets in his upstairs with the eggs on (hundreds) mainly because he never had enough broody hens (its a really big estate) nor incubators.3 times a day he went up stairs and tilted one end which turned the eggs back and forth ,he said 50% hatched so that was 50% more money to run the rearing side.great old chap now long dead :(

his gun collection was amazing plenty of purdeys ,on a good shoot he occasionally had one given to him by a shooter as a reward ,the more of his "flock" that were shot the more pride he got ,strange but thats how it works.he showed a town boy gone country what country was to countrymen.he opened my eyes to things that were always there but i had never seen them and gave reasons to why things lived or died on the estate .ofcourse foxes were bad but tolerated due to the hunt but if foxes interfered with the shoot then action was taken ,rather than waiting until a fox got in to his young flock he went great lengths to make sure they didn't ,had there been no hunt there certainly wouldn't be any foxes as the gun or poison or snare would have been used instead of electric fences concrete and chain link!

its all a balancing act ,no foxes = more rabbits eating the wheat and other crops the pheasants lived in ,more rabbits more control no rabbits etc etc so a balance is made where the foxes eat the rabbits ,the rabbits feed the foxes ,the pheasents and foxes hopefully dont meet.all the rest unfortunately that had the slightest eye on either pheasants or their young were exterminated and spent some time on barbed wire fences as a warning! its not all harmony but the best he could get :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

This is taken from an advert at the top of the page.

You may not think that fishing is sen as a field sport but it seems plenty of non-fishermen do.

http://www.thisisyourmail.co.uk/posts/your...-fishing-cruel-

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

We never had much of a rabbit population, we ate all the rabbits. Like I said we had no hunt, anybody who wanted to bring any kind of horse on the estate would be told to FRO. Anyway back to the pheasants, they were definitely the best kept animals on the estate, mind you the jersey milk herd had a pretty good life too. Looking back they were happy days, I can't even remember it raining in that place.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

They would try to dissuade the keepers and farmers from killing the foxes and would encourage (pay) the farmers to keep certain types of habitat that suited foxes.

If it wasn't for shooting, hunting and of course fishing then much of our countryside would have been destroyed. As Sportsman says many woods, copsess, hadgerows etc etc would have been ploughed under or built on if it where not for these country pastimes/sports.

And Anderoo angling is a bloodsport which all the ANTIS lump it with anyway wether you like it or not. It's no use sticking your head in the sand your only kidding yourself.

If it wasn't for shooting, hunting and of course fishing then much of our countryside would have been destroyed. As Sportsman says many woods, copsess, hadgerows etc etc would have been ploughed under or built on if it where not for these country pastimes/sports.

And Anderoo angling is a bloodsport which all the ANTIS lump it with anyway wether you like it or not. It's no use sticking your head in the sand your only kidding yourself.

I agree, just because you can't see how it can be so, is not evidence that it is not so.

have you considered down the barrel of a shotgun a bird of prey and a pheasent would be little more than a blob! an attacking bird of prey swooping would draw in its wings just as a pheasant glides after x wingbeats ,if you watch a pheasent it cannot fly continually but rests for a few wingbeat intervals.i'm am sure a person in the limelight wouldnt kill anything they shouldnt in "public" but accidentally can be done by anyone who-ever they are.birds of prey are shot deliberately ,yes without doupt but you aint employing the royal family to do it are you :rolleyes:

As a keen and very active shooter (have been for many years) i consider it on a regular basis and know it can happen, but it never has to me or the lads i shoot with and definitely not twice in the same day.

As for Prince Harry i was not trying to judge his guilt, but someone there knows more.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

As a keen and very active shooter (have been for many years) i consider it on a regular basis and know it can happen, but it never has to me or the lads i shoot with and definitely not twice in the same day.

As for Prince Harry i was not trying to judge his guilt, but someone there knows more.

Trust me, members of the Royal Family do not go around shooting birds of prey.

They are a bit too high profile for that sort of behaviour and have been bought up to know better.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Again, demonstrating your inability to read posts, or possibly to understand them.

I will try to explain, and I will write slowly, OK?

When a hunt with a pack of hounds hunted over an area of ground then it would be in their interest to have some foxes on that ground.

They would try to dissuade the keepers and farmers from killing the foxes and would encourage (pay) the farmers to keep certain types of habitat that suited foxes.

When the hunt disappeared then so did the reason for the farmer and keeper not to kill the foxes so they did, with anything they had to hand.

They poisoned them (along with anything else that took the bait)

They shot them (sometimes wounding them and leaving them to die in agony, or maybe just starve to death).

They snared and trapped them, leaving them sometimes for longer than they should in the snare or trap.

Upshot of all of this anti-fox activity FEWER FOXES.

did you get that ?

It's a bit like removing all of the pike anglers and leaving just match fishermen to whom the pike is vermin.

Do you think that would benefit pike stocks?

What an arrogant man you are.....Fox hunting with dogs is banned by law, it is was deemed to be cruel, and if for nothing else for that I am content. Any amount of name calling and distorted facts you wish to bring up will not change that, so go ahead and explode with rage, tomorrow fox hunting will still be banned. :clap2: