List all the jobs you've had

Ian FG

Starting while I was still full time in high school (the last 4 years before college or getting a regular job in the States)

Stock boy in a grocery at age 14 (Dad owned the place so child labor laws did not apply)

Butcher's assistant (same grocery)

Then moving along after school

US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman (medic)

US Coast Guard as a Corpsman

US Coast Guard promoted to Medical Adminstration

Hospital Database & Network Administrator

Same Job, Different Company and where I will stay until I retire in 2008 or 2010

Any guesses if Rabbit wants to play? :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paperboy (common as dirt here)

Carwash employee

Auto-salvage yard employee

Carpenter's apprentice

Carpenter

Insurance Salesman (I really hated selling intangibles)

Teamster - Dump truck driver/Parts gofer on a gas pipeline at the Straits of Mackinac, during first Gulf War

Wood moulding salesman

Remodeling Contractor/Home Builder

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Usual kids stuff back then.

Morning and evening paper rounds, Saturday morning butchers round.

Cannot list all the jobs as I did a large amount of contract engineering over the years, but left college as a junior site engineer, this amounted to being a general dogs body for other engineers, carrying kit here there and every where.

Slowly progressed through the ranks :rolleyes: making tea collecting buns :lol: big break came with Yankee company Ventura Tools, known as Vetco; who as young as I was (31yrs) took me on to work in Iran as a civil inspector, which in those days was equal to a clerk of works / resident engineer.

Having found my niche in life quality control / assurance in later years I sold my growing knowledge on a contractual basis to numerous contractors and clients over the years. Final two was 4yrs ARAMCO at Ras Tanura, Followed by ABV Qassim

Lots of laughs along the way, lots of good friends and a few tears, wouldn't change any of it.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Starting while I was still full time in high school (the last 4 years before college or getting a regular job in the States)

Stock boy in a grocery at age 14 (Dad owned the place so child labor laws did not apply)

Butcher's assistant (same grocery)

Then moving along after school

US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman (medic)

US Coast Guard as a Corpsman

US Coast Guard promoted to Medical Adminstration

Hospital Database & Network Administrator

Same Job, Different Company and where I will stay until I retire in 2008 or 2010

Any guesses if Rabbit wants to play? :D :D

probably dont have the bandwidth...all in good time though... but you make me look like I am too over qualified to even bother :rolleyes:

Edited by Rabbit

Weekend Milk Round (paid better than paper rounds)

Warehouse worker (one summer before college)

Barman (part time while at college)

Trained as an accountant, held various senior finance roles in a number of industries including FMCG, Service, Construction

Spent a year consulting (on accounting systems) for an IT company.

Then back to bean-counting, FC of a Media company based in Manchester and London

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

i wont bother you with the early ones but i was a gardener for 20+ years (18 acre garden eventually) which strangely took me to strange places over the world (dont ask) and then at a university after taking C & G in electronic servicing at 42 ( boss that employed me in the garden got peed off with the government and moved to france ,he asked me to go with them but i declined! foolish thinking back but france is full of french so probably the right decision) in a workshop fixing stuff students broke ,a bit of R & D and making impossible pcb's for the satellite group that couldnt be done anywhere else (even cambridge uni sent some to be made!) and other departments and meeting people /students (some strange) from all over the world ,since my mrs worsened i have been her full time carer till present.my world is now my pc

i miss my garden (it was just 2 flowerbeds when i started)

i miss the smell (and taste) of ferric chloride

and mostly the extremely polite far eastern students especially the female ones i spent many happy hours in the dark room with oh and standing on one of the bridges smoking a fag looking down cleavages passing below ,hell you needed something to make the pathetic wages seem more interesting!

explaining technical stuff to students who's second tongue was english was amusing to the extreme :clap:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Weekend Milk Round (paid better than paper rounds)

Warehouse worker (one summer before college)

Barman (part time while at college)

Trained as an accountant, held various senior finance roles in a number of industries including FMCG, Service, Construction

Spent a year consulting (on accounting systems) for an IT company.

Then back to bean-counting, FC of a Media company based in Manchester and London

I forgot I did a bit of pint pulling part time whilst in college :rolleyes:

And a life guard during holiday periods, plus a bit when I first finished college and had a few lazy months. :lol:

Strange looking back, you tend to do things and pass them by until someone or some thing jogs your memory.

I had a spell working with Debs on the farm if I can call it work, I believe actors call it resting :lol: it was good fun but it was just as well I had a few quid in the bank to cover what I failed to make with my chicken enterprise. :lol: Spent a few pounds on a second hand 7000 egg incubator plus a small 50 egg one, purchased what seemed miles of chicken wire and electric fencing :lol: probably made enough money to cover cost, then had to go back and do some real work :lol: Nothing quite like a monthly salary.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

i'd love to own a very large hole!

just think of the stuff you could find to go on ebay in the rubbish the council would pay me to put in it ,a job made in heaven

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I must be one of the few that never had a paper round.

Pre leaving school, I helped a few people (fellow anglers), by labouring for a plasterer, a roofer and doing a bit in a tackle shop.

Left school started an apprenticeship in plating/sheet metal work.

Stayed in engineering/fabrication up to a few years ago.

Depending on what firm I worked for, my jobs included, Plating, welding (MMA, Mig, Tig, Auto, and semi auto, Coded and bog standard, in mild steel, aluminium and various s/s alloys), driving, machining, fitting, general maintenance, measuring up and quoting for jobs, stock control, ordering, buying, selling, designing, blacksmith, polishing, spray painting, panel beating, steel erector, first aid, and various works committee positions, and a few more I can't think of just yet. These all came under the same job title, 'engineer'. :rolleyes:

Another thing I'm experienced at, is being made redundant, (7 times now). During the bad times in engineering I've worked as a joiner, labourer and at a sausage casing manufacturer, collecting the insides of dead animals, to be made into natural casings. :yucky:

Ill health after my last redundancy, as found me retraining in IT (struggling). Hoping that even at this stage in my life, I might find another direction to suit me.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

good luck with your training i found it very difficult but having an interest in what i was getting trained in anyway helped ,unfortunately C & G doesent seem to count for anything today ,far more easy but more modern certificates seem to hold more weight! <_<

probably why some "certified" employees dont have a clue in real life (cut to the government cockup post) :D

Edited by chesters1