Avogadro and aids to education

Vagabond

Did you hear about the homeopath who forgot to take his medicine, he died of an overdose!

• Like 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Did you hear about the homeopath who forgot to take his medicine, he died of an overdose!

Very good. It tooke me a minute or two.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cory,

EVERY brain (human) is suited to rote. Rote is innate. What a silly statement you make. How did you learn to walk, talk and eat with a tool?

I'm with Newt. jail for me. The sharp edge of a 12 inch ruler to the back of my hand (occasional blood) was my teacher. By rote I learned pain was worse than the answer to 7X9 = 63. (For me 9's were easy - for some reason I learned the [1-8] [2-7] [3-6] [4-5] [5-4] [6-3] - etc. system. (why?).

Phone

Cory,

EVERY brain (human) is suited to rote. Rote is innate. What a silly statement you make. How did you learn to walk, talk and eat with a tool?

I'm with Newt. jail for me. The sharp edge of a 12 inch ruler to the back of my hand (occasional blood) was my teacher. By rote I learned pain was worse than the answer to 7X9 = 63. (For me 9's were easy - for some reason I learned the [1-8] [2-7] [3-6] [4-5] [5-4] [6-3] - etc. system. (why?).

Phone

So same question for you as I asked Vagabond and Newt. Neither have answered yet.

How old were you when you got to the age when you would take umbrage to having your fingers rapped to re-inforce the lesson.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Cory,

Perhaps the other lads and I are stupid. What's the question? Are you asking me to define the limbic system of the human brain? As you probably well know age has little affect. It is the number of repetitions that seal the deal? Increases exponentially when emotion is involved in the event - little to do with AGE.

Your question is nonsense.

Phone

Cory,

Perhaps the other lads and I are stupid. What's the question? Are you asking me to define the limbic system of the human brain? As you probably well know age has little affect. It is the number of repetitions that seal the deal? Increases exponentially when emotion is involved in the event - little to do with AGE.

Your question is nonsense.

Phone

It seems a pretty simple question to me.

You said "The sharp edge of a 12 inch ruler to the back of my hand (occasional blood) was my teacher."

I am asking you when you outgrew the ruler across the hand as a learning aid. Perhaps you haven't, perhaps if I was trying to teach you something new you would suffer gladly me rapping you across the knuckles every time you got something wrong.

Cory

Willingly or unwillingly a knuckle rap would hasten the imitate learning process. AT ANY AGE!

Corporal punishment leads to more immediate compliant behavior. So much so is it solidified that it usually carries into the behavior of the next generation. On this point there is NO dispute.

The deleterious long term affect/effect [or not] would require another thread.

Phone

We could certainly do with a little corporal punishment to teach a certain sub set of society how to behave properly.

Singapore and the Isle of Mann were known globally for low levels of antisocial behaviour and reoffending precicly because corporal punishment works.

It's cheaper than prison and more socially equitable than fines - a scrote from the local estate tagging a garrage door with his name and some twit from Eaton engaged in "high jinx" get exactly the same life lesson.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

9 is the greedy number, it always wants to get just one more so it can be a big fat 10.

7x10=70. Now subtract 7 that you used to fatten up the 9s and you are left with 63.

Have always been suspicious of mnemonics, having seen so many students who could remember a mnemonic, but not the factual item it was supposed to guide one to.!

Like one from primary school re remembering the spectral colours.

"Richard of York gained battles in vain." Having remembered the phrase, about a third of the class couldn't think of a colour beginning with "I"

I have always found it easier to remember the basic facts rather than contrived mnemonics

But then, as you said, there are many ways of remembering.

Just out of interest, what convolutions do you go through for (say) 7 X 7 ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

So same question for you as I asked Vagabond and Newt. Neither have answered yet.

How old were you when you got to the age when you would take umbrage to having your fingers rapped to re-inforce the lesson.

Norma and I have been on a bird-watching trip to Poole harbour since Tuesday. 36 Spoonbills and a huge list of other waterbirds, hence the delay

If you had paid attention (WHACK ! :) ) to my first post you will see that I never required a buffet as an aid memoir. Note I also hinted that a good memory can be a curse - as some of the dunces of life are only too ready to tag able pupils with "teacher's pet" and "swot". I avoided that, but saw it happen to others. Although I could remember things, I was often chastised for various types of mischief and was singled out on many reports as "a disruptive influence" I also held (jointly) the school record at my primary school for most number of cane strokes (6, across the hand) in one day.

Corporal punishment had a bit of a spin-off, as an indifference to caning earned one street-cred with one's fellows. I suppose being "one of the lads" was more important to a 13-year old than being suspected of being a "swot"

I don't know about other schools, but corporal punishment died out in the fourth form and ceased altogether in the fifth form at my secondary school. Instead we had a pep-talk at the beginning of the school year that we were expected to behave as "young gentlemen". I reckon the real reason was fear of the beaks that we were now big enough to hit back !

So the answer to Cory's question must remain conjectural in my case. (I don't remember any adult even trying to lay a hand on me once I reached 14)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...