Things for 2008

RPM

May as well start this thread off whilst I think about it.

What are your hopes for 2008 in terms of fishing?

Mine are as follows.

Beat my PB roach of 2.5 lbs

Beat my PB barbel of 8.5 lbs

Beat my overall PB (mirror carp) of 18 and a quarter.

Fish more than I did this year, HOPEFULLY.

Over to you....

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

May as well start this thread off whilst I think about it.

What are your hopes for 2008 in terms of fishing?

Mine are as follows.

Beat my PB roach of 2.5 lbs

Beat my PB barbel of 8.5 lbs

Beat my overall PB (mirror carp) of 18 and a quarter.

Fish more than I did this year, HOPEFULLY.

Over to you....

I wouldn't mind beating my PB tench of 8lb 2oz

beating my PB Common of 24lb

and also learning how to use the pole properly because i only fish the the waggler, ho yeah and beating my PB pike of 16lb.

TACKLIN DOWN'S A SIN!

http://fishsthelens.blogspot.com

I have three months in India to start the year so I’d love to break my PB’s for Mahseer, Barramundi and Murrell.

I was very, very lucky with the Mahseer last year so I suspect that that PB is probably safe but the others are defiantly achievable.

When I get back to the UK I’d love to break my perch PB which is fractionally over 2lbs at the moment. Not huge by southern standards but a good fish for a midlands river.

A wild brownie bigger than my current PB of 3lb would also be a major bonus and with more and more river anglers limiting their bait choices to pellets, my chances are pretty good on that one.

The other things I’d like for 2008 aren’t related to big fish at all. They’re more about methods and species.

I want to try to find some time to go bassing, even if it’s just a couple of long weekends on the coast with a lure rod.

My plans to try for a barbel on the fly rod got scuppered by the 2007 floods so that’s still there.

And of course, there’s my zander duck. I really can’t let it drag on, so I need to spend a little more time in the lower parts of the Severn and Avon.

Most important of all is being able to spend time fishing with family and friends no matter where they live on the planet.

Those are my fishing ambitions for 2008. May you all achieve your own goals and still be here happy and well to ask the same question in 2009.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I think my main target for this year is helping my youngest son catch his first fish, he'll be 5 in April, and I've promised him that he can start fishing once he is five, as he gets very upset when his older brother comes along with me.

my older boy is going to graduate from tiddler bashing with a whip to real fishing this year, got a nice tench pool in mind where he should catch his first "proper" fish this spring!

Oh and I want to catch *something* from Wingham, bream, tench or perch would be fine, whatever it is it'll almost certainly be a new PB :)

Mat

Mat

Nice topic :)

I still need to catch my big chub from my local bit of the Thames, and there's plenty of time between now and the end of the season to do that, as long as the rivers don't flood.

I want to do some gravel pit piking, and I'm looking forward to the wobblethon in February where hopefully plenty of pike will be caught.

I can't wait to fish the Itchen in March, and it would be great to catch a big grayling there.

In the close season I'm going to do lots of after-work fly fishing for brownies in the little streams here. I didn't do much this season, and regret it now. Hopefully I'll be taking a couple of friends too, and trying to show them the ropes (i.e. how to decorate trees).

In the spring I would love to catch a bream from Wingham (fat chance!) and a big tench or two. Fingers crossed for that one. Hopefully I'll be at the fish-in again.

That just leaves every other species to fit in somehow! Trotting for dace, quivertipping for roach, stalking summer chub, stalking carp, finding some more big perch, doing some more barbel fishing, catching that double figure zander...you know, the usual :D

Oh, and avoiding eels.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My targets for 2008 are:

First the easier ones -

Beat my PB Pike (7lb 14oz) and Grayling (8oz). The pike was on worm on the pole at Wingham :o , I'm planning a few trips over the next month to have a serious go at beating this - one of the MKAA waters has been producing plenty of doubles and the odd 20 recently so I should be in with a good chance. I hope to have a good chance of a Grayling over 8oz from the Itchen in March (let's hope the weather's kinder to us than it was for Timsbury).

Then the harder ones -

Beat my PB Tench (9lb 6oz), one of my oldest PBs and if I can do this from one of my current club's waters then it would be a new club record as well :D

Beat my PB Bream (8lb 6oz). It would be very nice if I could manage to get one of the Wingham Bream this year, if not I've a reasonable chance of beating this from one of the MKAA lakes, 2 of them produce the occasional low double.

Other than that I'd just like better river conditions than we had this year so I can get back to the Barbel, Chub and Dace.

Will

Edited by Will Wilkinson

Chasing targets is not as important to me nowerdays as it used to be; as long as I can still catch specimen sized fish I am very happy.

If I beat any of my personal bests along the way then it is just a bonus but not that important to me any more.

But good luck with your targets for the coming year.

:D

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)