Fastrantiger

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Houston, we have a problem ......"

monkeys2.jpg

:rolleyes:

Very good HA, but as i asked before, what exactly am i supposed to be looking at in those pictures?

You reckon NASA's response to a problem would be to ignore science and engineering and punt back images of apes?!

It was a simple enough question HA :

What exactly am i supposed to be looking at in those two pictures H.A ?

Just assume im a hear no evil etc Ape and answer it?

FWIW i'm not sure you have a clue what this difference is and so you move to personal attack mode ;)

Your opinion on those pictures?

Where were they taken btw?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

When did the Golden mile become something I need to "enthusiastically back" ? Its something that keeps getting pushed and rarely seems to be questioned, yet how many anglers have had much information on the problems it may (will IMHO) bring?

Never seen a proponent yet come up with answers to the displacement of fishing effort and its likely being a driver to bigger boats, cost, the effect on enforcement as cash is sidelined into endless petty cases about who does or does not have the right to fish in it (the lawyers are going to love it), the grief between commercials and RSA that will lead to restrictions on where we can fish, but most of all, the fact that this is not really an RSA idea;its a green one that has damn all to do with the interests of anglers; or me at least :).

Green money and lobbying will pour into this; after all "Golden Mile", how brilliant is that for an easy to sell idea. RSA reps will sell it, diving organistions will go for it, Urban MPs will love it, and the green money and Newspaper industry will have a field day. At the end of that process who do you suppose will have control of the levers? RSA ?! :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

More likely RSPB, WWF et al and the result will be that many of us will be kissing goodbye to areas we have fished for decades.

I will be enthusiastically opposing it, but doubt that will change a thing.

Chris

It's not often that I agree with Jaffa, but I think he's spot on in with this post. People need to start looking at how this proposed measure would affect them, if it ever happened. Will it improve your fishing? To get an idea, ask yourself these questions. How much commercial fishing goes on within a mile of where you fish? How much damage is any fishing that does take place actually doing? Is it small time effort by part time and hobby netters? If so, how much fish do they catch? Are those gill net markers close to the beach actually pot markers?

I'm all for sensible measures that will improve my fishing and fish stocks, but I hate the use of spin and deception to push hidden agendas. As far as I'm concerned, the golden mile is a red herring, (no pun intended). It's being used as a carrot to lure us into accepting the RSA strategy, but would soon turn into the stick if it ever happened. The whole idea was badly thought out, and now it is being sold as the holy grail to all sea anglers. Just hearing the phrase, "golden mile", and thinking of all the rubbish behind it, winds me up these days.

There may be one or two areas where it might provide some benefits. If you fish somewhere like that, you'll probably want to support the golden mile. That's fine, of course, but please look a bit further than the hype and spin. Are you sure you'll still be able to fish there if it becomes what will effectively be a Marine Protected Area? If you are allowed to fish there, what restrictions will be placed on you? Will you be able to take fish home to eat, if so, what will the bag limit be? Will you be able to use lead weights, or will it be fly only? These are the questions people should be asking now. I haven't got a clue what the answers might be, but then again, nor has anyone else. So how, then, can they be asking all sea anglers to "enthusiastically back" the proposal?

I'll be joining Jaffa in his enthusiastic opposition to it.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Your opinion on those pictures?

The photos highlight marine habitats containing diverse epifaunal communities of sponges, tunicates, hydroids and bryozoans and corals; all part of a complex food web.

These communities are wrecked by dredges and trawls on a huge scale, such that researchers cannot easily find 'control areas' of sea bed near to these fishing areas which have not been recently dredged/trawled.

My nearby Hayling Bay used to be rich in small areas of rough ground comprising chalk and clay and shale outcrops covered in kelp, mollusc beds and crustacea. That

has been turned by inshore trawlers into 'desert' right up to the end of the groynes.

Where were they taken btw?

I refer the honorable gentleman to the answer I gave previously (post #91)

The first two pictures are taken on a scallop bed, Isle of Man (undredged - top; dredged- bottom)

The second two pictures show shallow (20m) maerl beds off W coast of Scotland (undamaged- top; trawled-bottom).

:angry:

Edited by H.A.

There is a lot of inshore netting takes place round the shallower areas of the Kent coast and in the Kentish estuaries.

Some of this is pegged nets that are set at low tide, nets left and marked with buoys and also trawled nets.

Most of it is carried out by "amateurs", but I believe there is a sufficient amount to have some sort of an impact on the quality of fishing.

The bass nursery area in the Medway has been netted often and any sort of enforcement is almost non existant.

Two small boats frequently work around the moored boats at Upnor with a net between them, one assumes that they are after mullet and school bass.

I have seen pegged nets collected at low tide that have had quality fish in them, but also a lot of undersized and juvenile fish.

Virtually all the fish are dead and so releasing the small stuff is no consolation.

Couple this with the amount of pegged nets that get washed away in the storms, the pieces of netting that get washed up along the shore and its a complete environmental mess.

I don't know whether the whole concept of a Golden Mile is a good one, but some sort of control of these "cowboys" is necessary.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

There is a lot of inshore netting takes place round the shallower areas of the Kent coast and in the Kentish estuaries.

Some of this is pegged nets that are set at low tide, nets left and marked with buoys and also trawled nets.

Most of it is carried out by "amateurs", but I believe there is a sufficient amount to have some sort of an impact on the quality of fishing.

The bass nursery area in the Medway has been netted often and any sort of enforcement is almost non existant.

Two small boats frequently work around the moored boats at Upnor with a net between them, one assumes that they are after mullet and school bass.

I have seen pegged nets collected at low tide that have had quality fish in them, but also a lot of undersized and juvenile fish.

Virtually all the fish are dead and so releasing the small stuff is no consolation.

Couple this with the amount of pegged nets that get washed away in the storms, the pieces of netting that get washed up along the shore and its a complete environmental mess.

I don't know whether the whole concept of a Golden Mile is a good one, but some sort of control of these "cowboys" is necessary.

One of the nursery areas is the power station outfalls, years ago we used to have fun catching the little bass and letting them go, I would imagine that it would be quite easy to see if someone was fishing in that area, if so something should be done about it. Leon has mentioned previously that the commerical fishing in the medway is controlled on a differant basis?

As you are seeing discard from the nets, what size mesh is being used as you say that undersized fish are obviously being caught?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi All

The Golden Mile,

As most beach anglers cannot cast 100 mtrs then why have a mile, I can see logic in having a no go area for commercials 100 mrts out from the beach so as to stop conflict between anglers and commercial

steve

I'm not convinced that a golden mile would be fair and practical. I know of areas that have deep water directly off the rocks and it is well known that there is a lot of valuable potting going on and netting and has been for many years. However if there are groyne bandits out there, i think something should be done about that. :)

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I'm not convinced that a golden mile would be fair and practicale. I know of areas that have deep water directly off the rocks and it is well known that there is a lot of valuable potting going on and netting and has been for many years.

Hi Barry,

That and much else has been covered in the proposals at:

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/The_Golden_Mile.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust