Sea Fishing Licence - would you pay?

Fastrantiger

Most of you here will most likely be aware of the Governments proposals to bring in a 'Sea Fishing Licence' :o or to be more precise a 'Rod Licence' since it will not apply to hand lines. Although still in its early stages in Parliament, it is making progress and no doubt with every bit of bad news in the country this will be slipped through in the hope nobody notices. As a tackle shop owner I'm not happy about this, and I wouldn't expect you to be too happy either.

This will affect every fisherman fishing with a rod, even people that just fish one week a year, I do not expect to say "that'll be another £25 for your licence Sir" when I sell a rod n' reel combo for £40.00 for their weeks holiday (no doubt it will fall on the shops to sell the licence). Boat anglers will also be stung for this charge, so there's no escaping.

We all know this will be an impossible piece of legislation to police, but no doubt (like the 'Smoking Police', yes they do exist - I had a visit from them in my shop :rolleyes: ) we will have 'Fishing Licence Police' making examples of people (pensioners would be considered easy prey).

Aside from the holiday trade, my year round customers will expect something in return for their hard earned cash. Looking at this forum you all seem to be well seasoned year round anglers and know your stuff. So, if Gordon 'nomates' Brown wants to relieve you of your cash, what would you expect in return, IF he gets his way.

They tried this in Portugal and virtually killed sea angling in less than a year :angry:

Your comments please guys :)

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimaru this licence would hit tackle shops ,charterboats very hard the whole thing is counter productive anybody who thinks you will see better and bigger fish if a licence is introduced are dreaming it is nothing short of a big con i have fished for over 40years from the shore and as my liveing is haveing a charterboat i can see a disaster looming if a sea angling licence is introduced our main tackle shop has recently changed hands his trade will drop significantly with the introduction of a licence if people cant see what damage a licence will do to the tackle trade then they no little or nothing about sea angling if certain sectors of the angling fertenity want a golden mile why should you trade the whole of the uks anglers rights to fish in the sea for free something you should get anyway its all a load hollocks we as body of charterboats 18 in our association will be haveing a meeting with our local mp after christmas to point out just what could happen with an introduction of a licence angling he needs to stand up in parliament and put a true picture on what is looming charterboats brings into whitby over £2000000 a year into the local economy thats without the shore angling i can tell you that figure will disapear overnight if a licence is introduced the majority of anglers dont want a licence it is a tax and would be just another right you will have lost just to keep a few guys in defra with a job it stinks.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks for all you input - seems pretty clear that there is not a great deal of support for the licence, though no doubt the government will carry on regardless :angry: Should I be entirely mistaken and the government really are intent on improving things, sorry Mr Brown (what's that flying overhead?)

As a business we will suffer a double whammy as we also run a charter boat, those of us with tackle shops can at least try our hand at selling something different - ice cream? :rolleyes: but for the charter boat side of the business I can see a lot of boats up for sale (as if the red diesel issue wasn't enough :o ).

I dont wish to sound negative on the future of sea fishing, but as a businessman and one relying entirely on the sea fishing industry - things are not good.

Thanks again guys.

"I dont wish to sound negative on the future of sea fishing, but as a businessman and one relying entirely on the sea fishing industry - things are not good".

That is truely a sad thing to hear.

It seems that yet again through this govenments ineptitude and misguided belief that they are know what is good for us, they are prepared to bring in laws that will push the smaller guys to the wall.

You know they'll make crimmnals of people who do not wish to pay for an unfair tax (sorry licence), use there phone in the car and yet they will not deport convicted crimminals and worst still, they will not lock up kiddy fiddlers. What is happening to this country? As a fisherman, East Anglian and a very proud father. I really worry about what these fools will leave for our children. Dramatic I know, but things, in my opinion are begining to feel Orwellian.

Tight lines

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

There is a practical issue they will have to consider. Who in their right mind would want the job of bailiffing a sea licence? Some of the places I fish verge on downright dangerous, slippy rocks, dangerous channels etc. Only an idiot would venture onto these marks if they didn't have exact knowledge of where the water is (and where it will go) at any time during the tide cycle. How can a government agency possibly justify sending someone out to do something which would appear to be such a clear contravention of the Health and Safety at Work Act?

And that is without even considering the possibility that some of our less sensible fellow anglers might not take kindly to the threat of a huge fine, meaning even promenade venues would be hazardous. There is a world of difference between being pushed into a canal and getting thrown over the railings into the Mersey!

Colin, and there you have the real crux of it all. Ordinary fisherman being reduced to helpless rage and possibly turning violent. Ordinary people being branded criminals and fined for "a bit of fishing"

Maybe being sent to prison for failure to pay??

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

This is obviously a very hot topic, so why has it been removed from the Sea Fishing section?

It's very sad that anything of any importance that warrants vigorous debate is slipped under the carpet, no matter if its in Parliament or on a Forum.

I would expect this from a bureaucrat, but on a Forum?

Has 'Browns' Gestapo infiltrated this forum?

Being in business I am used to this sort thing, nothing surprises me nowadays :rolleyes:

This is obviously a very hot topic, so why has it been removed from the Sea Fishing section?

It's very sad that anything of any importance that warrants vigorous debate is slipped under the carpet, no matter if its in Parliament or on a Forum.

I would expect this from a bureaucrat, but on a Forum?

Has 'Browns' Gestapo infiltrated this forum?

Being in business I am used to this sort thing, nothing surprises me nowadays :rolleyes:

Don't really matter where this hot topic is. The guys will post comments or send their letters into defra in any event. This topic, certainly not hidden here but placed in an appropriate section. You will get the angler moaning that the sea fishing section has been politicised next. Being in business myself so move on shall we, things to do presents to wrap. :)

Merry Xmas

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

And who drew their attention to the numbers of sea anglers?

Was it not us, the sea anglers that brought to the attention of the Govt, how many people enjoy and participate in the sport of sea fishing? Through organisations like the NFSA, we have been petitioning the govt for ages and ages for the so called rights of the leisure fisherman. To be honest, I am surprised that its taken ANY govt in this country so long to realise the extra taxation potential thats been quietly congregating on the beaches, piers, rocks and boats of the UK. Lets face it, when there's an opportunity to gain some extra revenue through taxation, our various govts over the years dont normally miss a beat! As such, I suppose we should be "grateful" that we, as anglers, have remained out of the govt's gaze for so long.

Personally, I will NOT buy a sea fishing rod license. I will wait a couple of years and see what the govt is doing to help protect and police the rod and line anglers rights before deciding whether or not I buy a license and carry on fishing, or whether I pack it in all together. Deep down inside, I dont believe that the leisure fishermen will gain a thing out of this exploitation of themselves. Further more, I also believe that it may well follow along the same lines as the freshwater license. Where you are limitted to two fishing rods. More than enough some may say. But when, like me, I take along enough tackle for myself, my young son and one or two of his friends, then am I to stump up for them as well?

I believe there will be those that pay and continue to fish in dessimated waters, those that don't pay and continue to fish (making a mockery of those that do pay) and those that give it up all together.

Andy

To find eternal happiness, live life like a dog!