Restraint straps

ayjay

Steve,

A question? Doesn't acceleration play a greater roll in ayjays question. Is it true all he has to do is keep the device from moving?

Not sure what you mean, Phone - it's all about acceleration, whether it's side to side (steering) forwards (what we normally mean by "acceleration") or backwards (braking). And it typically maxes out at around 1g for a road car. The force required to accelerate an object at 1g is the same as the force required to hold it up under gravity. That force will have to be transmitted from the van to the scooter through the strap (well, also through the friction between the floor of the van and the wheels of the scooter, but I wouldn't rely on that).

I'd think the chair restraint strap would need strength similar to that of a seat belt since in both cases you want to keep a heavy object stationary in case of the sudden deceleration of a collision.

US regulations mandate 26,689 Newtons (N) [2,722 Kilograms Force(kgf)]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Steve,

I'm proud you don't know what I mean - you see, I don't either. If ayjay were to use Newton's 2nd law how much would the strap have to hold (doesn't the van have to be included?)

ayjay,

Many of the available products marketed as "van wheelchair restraints" assume the chair (motorized device) is occupied. Would that be a benefit?

Interesting topic

Phone

ayjay,

Many of the available products marketed as "van wheelchair restraints" assume the chair (motorized device) is occupied. Would that be a benefit?

It's a good idea Phone, and getting better the more I think about it, but on balance I think I'll probably have to let her ride up front with me. :)

I've ordered a pair of straps with an 800kg capacity, I really can't see that not being enough - the bulkhead will have to cope with the rest if it's ever necessary - and I may well bolt a 2 X 4 (on edge) to the floor just in front of the wheels.

The speed you are doing when you brake makes no difference, of course, whether 70 or 10.

Not if you stop really quickly, like if you run into the back of something at 70 mph on the motorway, or hit an oncoming vehicle at 50 mph and the oncoming vehicle is also travelling at 50 mph

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Exactly Cory. That's the reason I always require any rear seat passengers to fasten their seat belt. I even tell any who are reluctant that I don't care so much about their safety but absolutely do not want them to become a heavy flying object smashing into me in the event of a crash.

• Like 1
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Collision speed matters, obviously, but we are talking about restraining it during braking - the steel bulkhead is the restraint for a collision.

I'd rather it not hit the bulkead if it were me.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Steve - you are correct in that Ajay's opening post did ask about holding the chair against braking from 70mph which is a much different matter than holding in the event of a collision.

That said, I had a van with a chair lift and a chair I wanted restrained in any circumstances that didn't rip the seats loose. I may have been wrong but I sorta assumed that Ajay might want the same degree of protection rather than the much milder protection against applying the brakes. I really don't see a steel bulkhead as being much comfort in the event of a 150 Kg projectile inside the vehicle.