Bob James and Chris Yates

The Flying Tench

I picked up a TCF book (angling through the year kind of thing) in Smiths and dipped into the roach section which was under March. It mentioned a prolific tidal water on the Test, which it said you can only fish if you ask Bob James to guide for you. I'd read somewhere on AN that Bob is very expensive, but when I checked out the web I saw he charges nearly £600 per day! And also does group sessions at nearly £200 per person for up to 25 people! The maths is not hard, though to be fair these were companies employing him for a day so I don't know what he earns personally.

Then I remembered reading Chris Yates' book 'The silent Pool' where he mentioned he is a single dad and I got the impression is on benefit.

Each to his own, and not judging anyone (I tried to start a finance training business once, and if it had succeeded the fees I would have charged would have been obscene!) But for some reason, if I won a prize and could choose to go fishing with one of them I guess it would be Chris!

john clarke

i'd like les moncrief to teach me how to use a multiplyer oh and a time machine to do it

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

for that money i'd sell my mum

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

His wife must have fired him off then, as he seemed to have one in the series "A Passion for Angling".

How on earth he can be skint I don't know with all his books etc etc etc.

Edited by tigger

Hi FT

Yes i would choose Chris Yates over BJ as well, BJ is a great fisherman no doubt. But Chris embodies the true meaning and feeling of fishing as it should be enjoyed for it's pleasure, BJ seems to have gone too commercial since the "passion for angling"thing became big and since they had a big fall out they have each gone there own ways. :(

Don't think Chris is a single dad, i seem to remember on the "passing for angling"dvd i have he has a wife unless she has passed away or they have seperated.

Unfortunately fishing has gone the way of many things these days....it's all about celebrity and money :angry:

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

When I guided full time I thought that the £150 charged per day for my services was a bit steep! Out of this though the company took a good slice and the "expenses" like the maintainance (and indeed initial purchase/replacement) of the boats,accomodation and tackle etc had to be found.The "daily" expences of fuel for both car and boat came out of my pocket.Compared to Mr James I reckon I gave good value for money after all!Ive often been offered £50 a day for a days piking and despite feeling a bit embarrased I suppose thats about fair.Most times these days Im happy enough to have my travel expenses covered if any are incured...........but then Im not doing it as a living now am I.I have paid two people for their services angling wise over the years (many more have given their knowledge freely though and to them Im forever in debt) both for instruction/ironing out faults with pendulumn casting.One was a British record holder the other just a local casting instructor.The First guy did some impressive casting demonstrations including just using the butt of a rod and also a tripod (yes I kid you not a sea fishing tripod!!) to show his casting prowess but I learned nothing.The second unknown guy taught me several little improvements which when I mastered them increased my distances beyond his best.I know which was the money best spent despite the Champ charging over 3 times as much.British anglers seem to have a real hang up about paying for instruction/guiding,and I cant figure out why?But paying that sort of dough just because of the guys name and fame? (please note Im not saying that Bob James isnt a very competent angler but!)

Hi FTDon't think Chris is a single dad, i seem to remember on the "passing for angling"dvd i have he has a wife unless she has passed away or they have seperated.
Dont want to be a gossip monger as Im not entirely sure of the facts but wasnt the split between Mr Y and his Mrs something to do with Mr J? Maybe some one can remeber the exact going ons?

Or am I getting confused over some thing between Mr J and the bird at the ACA?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dont want to be a gossip monger as Im not entirely sure of the facts but wasnt the split between Mr Y and his Mrs something to do with Mr J? Maybe some one can remeber the exact going ons?

Or am I getting confused over some thing between Mr J and the bird at the ACA?

pretty sure your correct on the 1st point that mS yates became MS james or significant 3rd party at least

allegedly the woman at the aca was financial irregularites (his wife at the time)

always had a soft spot for Chris Yates his enthusiasm seems real unlike a lot of writers and his love of walton (dropping a gilt hook into his tomb) seemed somehow right

I think someone should clear this up, who knows for sure??

I am fairly certain neither Bob nor Chris was involved with the other's wife!!

The way i heard it: Bob left his wife and this led to a huge fallout between Bob and Chris because Chris was good friends with the wife. Bob later married his now-wife, the lady at the ACA. (they were then accused of a number of things, unproven I think, including using company postage stamps and Bob printing leaflets for his own use, using company equipment/supplies etc...and were forced to leave the ACA)

If Chris did fall out with Bob because of the latter leaving his wife it is ironic. Chris later split with his own wife. :huh:

I am happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better, although I'm fairly sure tihs is the version of events.

Gus

I heard the same version of events as Gus. Anyway; keeping their private lives out of it; I think they both deserve respect as far as their fishing exploits are concerned. and I would love to spend a days fishing with either of them.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)