Pound coins

ahammond

One of the local bus drivers refused to accept two one pound coins that my wife tried to pay her bus fare with today because according to him they were not legal tender. Both have the normal heads side with a depiction of the Queen and the date 2005. On the obverse one shows the Menai Straits bridge and the other the Forth bridge. The only oddity that I can see is that the edge on both of them is milled with a running diamond pattern instead of an inscription. My first thought was that they were Channel Island coinage which I know is not legal tender in the rest of the U.K but I do not think that they are if my memory of their coinage serves me right. Anybody got any ideas before I bung them in a parking ticket machine?

Edited by ahammond

if you bung them in a machine and they work who cares but there is a great number of different themed £2 coins about so in all probability yours is a £2 coin

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

if you bung them in a machine and they work who cares but there is a great number of different themed £2 coins about so in all probability yours is a £2 coin

You been on the cider Chester ?????? :D

TWO one POUND coins, not TWO pound COIN

Not seen these two but there are a lot of forged coins around, some obvious and some very good copies.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Why on earth would anyone capable of forging a £1 coin make the mistake of using a wrong image? At the very least it should be a poor copy to be spotted as a forgery.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

One of the local bus drivers refused to accept two one pound coins that my wife tried to pay her bus fare with today because according to him they were not legal tender. Both have the normal heads side with a depiction of the Queen and the date 2005. On the obverse one shows the Menai Straits bridge and the other the Forth bridge. The only oddity that I can see is that the edge on both of them is milled with a running diamond pattern instead of an inscription. My first thought was that they were Channel Island coinage which I know is not legal tender in the rest of the U.K but I do not think that they are if my memory of their coinage serves me right. Anybody got any ideas before I bung them in a parking ticket machine?

Hmmm, Sounds like a relation of the eastern European girl, working in the Mayflower who wouldnt take my Scottish £20 note when I was in Lymington, telling me in broken English it was "foreign" money !!!!! :angry: :angry:

The Forth Bridge one is ...Scottish, mibbes the Menai one is Welsh...:)

Have a look here guys..:)

http://www.ukcoinpics.co.uk/dec1p.html

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hmmm, Sounds like a relation of the eastern European girl, working in the Mayflower who wouldnt take my Scottish £20 note when I was in Lymington, telling me in broken English it was "foreign" money !!!!! :angry: :angry:

She was actually quite correct, Scottish banknotes are not proper money, they are promissory notes, (a bit like a cheque) and shopkeepers etc. in England and Wales are not obliged to accept them.

english notes are promissory notes not money and its mentioned on every one ;)

"i promise to pay the bearer the sum of XX" and "signed" by the head of the bank of england of the time.

long gone are precious metals that gave money its worth, silver went in the mid? thirties ,golds about but you wont get a guinee for £1.10p :D

in days gone by a half penny was just that a silver penny cut in half a farthing a half of a half.

coins could be cut down around the edge and the silver pinched so long cross coins were introduced to stop it ,gold coin was also sweated (heated up to just before it melted) and small beads of gold that extruded from it harvested and famous forgers made "billies and charlies" (their names) low weight gold coins so mini scales were put about the person to weigh gold coins so they wernt "short changed"

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Police around the black country have warned that there are forged £20 (new version)notes in circulation.One man as already been detained, he had in his possesion £1.000.00 of them.They all have the same number.

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

english notes are promissory notes not money and its mentioned on every one ;)

"i promise to pay the bearer the sum of XX" and "signed" by the head of the bank of england of the time.

......and there's the difference; English notes are not issued by various tinpot organisations, but by the governments agents - the Bank of England.