For Those Astronomically Inclined...

Bobj

Amazing hubble images of Saturn's aurorae from our old friend Hubble.

Youtube Video ->
  • Like 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• 2 years later...

Fresh off of NASA's Twitter feed (well it was fresh yesterday).

NASA have annouced plans for a new Mars Rover to replace Curiosity in 2020. Those with an interest in astronomy can read all about it here.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Fresh off of NASA's Twitter feed (well it was fresh yesterday).

NASA have annouced plans for a new Mars Rover to replace Curiosity in 2020. Those with an interest in astronomy can read all about it here.

I saw this in the paper this morning and there's New Scientist's take on it here if anyone is interested.

Wouldn't it be cool if they built a bunch of them side by side for exploration of the water deposits on our own moon as well as the more interesting satellites of Saturn and Jupiter - economies of scale and all that....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I saw this in the paper this morning and there's New Scientist's take on it here if anyone is interested.

Wouldn't it be cool if they built a bunch of them side by side for exploration of the water deposits on our own moon as well as the more interesting satellites of Saturn and Jupiter - economies of scale and all that....

They might be a feasible proposition on our own Moon Ken, but I am not sure if they would be any good at all on the surface of the moons of the gas giants. It's bloody cold away out there.

• 5 months later...

Earth will soon ( today!) get a visit from not one asteroid, but two. The first radar images of asteroid 1998 QE2 have revealed that the incoming space rock has an unexpected companion – a small moon that may be the key to unlocking the asteroid's secrets.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23624-fastapproaching-asteroid-has-its-own-small-moon.html

"if an asteroid this size should hit the Earth that would be a major global catastrophe"

This must be the understatement of the year, it sure would spoil your day a bit more profoundly than blanking on a mullet fishing expedition.

BobJ likes these so I thought I'd post up the latest one.

• Like 1

I drive my mates nuts with my posts on facebook about the ISS and other space associated stuff :)

I have loads of people asking me about good programs for "stargazing", if they've got android then the one i recommend is "droid skyview.

As for the ISS, i'm regiestered with nasa for the emails letting me know when it will be visable and all the info of direction time etc
I also use this site a lot to help friends find the details for themselves

http://iss.astroviewer.net/index2.php

As i said to someone last week, it's amazing when you think of 442 tons flying at 17,800 mph at a height of 250 miles (average) above your head going around the world every 90mins...i never get sick of seeing it go over.

The next ISS pass that i'll be able to see is at 2243 tonight and i'll be outside hoping to see it...i doubt i'll be out for it's next to passes but if i'm awake i'll go out and have a look :)

On astroviewer if you click the observation tag and then click "change location" you can drag the map to your location (it helps if you zoom in a lot lol) then when you click "apply new location" it will give you the date, time and loads of other info including a map showing where it will be visable from and where it will be when it vanishes!

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them