Stroke Signs

Jeff S

I've seen this before a long time ago and can't remember seeing it here nor did I see it in the search section within the past year. I fish with a few 'older' fellas and it never hurts to be aware of the signs.

Thought I should maybe share this.

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters.... S.T.R.

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) .....she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die.... they end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke... totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke .

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.

T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently, (i.e. Is it sunny out today?)

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 999 immediately describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other , that is also an indication of a stroke.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I'm sure that could be extremely helpful Jeff. I for one fish with a couple of the 'older end' and your info could prove priceless if the unfortunate event ever occured.

Strokes can happen to pretty much anyone so it would be well worth everyones time to read it.

Cheers.

Carl

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Yes, very useful, thanks for that, although I hope never to have to use it, either as questioner or responder.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

This was put up here a few years ago - and is by-and-large useful advice - though the tongue test at the end is harder to interpret so is a less reliable indicator...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/stroke.asp

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

This was put up here a few years ago - and is by-and-large useful advice - though the tongue test at the end is harder to interpret so is a less reliable indicator...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/stroke.asp

C.

Snopes was the first thing I checked too Chris. I don't like posting things that are questionable..

Happy Belated Birthday by the way.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 999 immediately describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

Can i have dispensation on that one, at the mo i can't physicly do that as i have a frozen shoulder.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I lost my sister to strokes(several) back in June. Over the 3 days prior to the first one in February, she suffered a couple of short sessions(about 45 mins) of memory loss. She had gone back on Chemotherapy after 15 months of all clears and the A & E doctor told me that her red blood cell count had been knocked down by the treatment and caused a small blood clot in her brain though oxygen starvation. They told us that the oncologist was being informed and she had another chemo session. We later found out that the oncologist had been on holiday at the time. When we finally saw him, he told us that the strokes were, 'completely unrelated' to the treatment. Who were we to believe? He stopped the treatment immediately. She was home after 8 days in hospital, but suffered chest pains in early June and was back in again. The paramedic who turned up before the ambulance, pumped some morphine into her and then another drug which he admitted he had never used before and had to read the instructions. She left home with the chest pains and within 24 hrs was not able to talk properly, saying words that didn't make sense, although she was obviously 'with it'. I was told by the consultant's secretary that I could not have an appointment to see him, I would have to find him on the wards 'sometime after 0830'. On the 5th day she had a scan that showed she had some clots on her lungs. They had thought it was pneumonia. Another week and they wanted to discharge her, even though she could not communicate. She came home for a home assessment visit and in the next days had more strokes and died 5 days later. Each stroke seemed to be linked to her getting wound up over something a day or so before.

If you know anyone on chemotherapy, make sure they drink huge amounts of water and stay calm!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I'm sure that could be extremely helpful Jeff. I for one fish with a couple of the 'older end' and your info could prove priceless if the unfortunate event ever occured.

Strokes can happen to pretty much anyone so it would be well worth everyones time to read it.

Cheers.

Carl

Cheeky b*gger :lol::lol:

Remember age is not the criteria, clotting of the blood is the problem and a good number of young people suffer a stroke and because people think it only happens to the OLDER END the younger ones are in most danger.

The above is written tongue in cheek but it is a serious point, if you take an old fart like me and something happens everyone automatically assumes the worse which is great as a form of protection, if someone in their thirties does the same it will almost definitely be put down to an accident.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

One of the more responsible posters I reckon!! Thanks for that!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))