EFTTA - Sea Fishing Licence

Elton

What I would counsel though, is that rather than allowing the red mist to come down and to react to only what is percieved as threats, remember too that this is an opportunity to shape the future and to build a much better and more secure recreational fishery.

The danger is that once more everyone falls for the old trick of fighting so hard against what they could do to us, they forget to fight for the things that they could do for us, and once more we will have been stuffed.

Merely squashing the licence proposal will be a major defeat for RSA, when there is so much more that could be attained if anglers and RSA has the vision to see that.

Get real Leon, please. The damage is already done, and we are going to get stuffed. You know it, I know it, and so does everyone else who it concerns. So why try to pull the wool over everyones eyes by pretending that it could be good for RSA? It looks like an attempt to reduce opposition to the strategy, but why?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rsa catch more cod from Whitby than the under ten meter boats do.

Regards.

Commercials are having a laugh when they compare RSA catches to commercials.

In 2003 28million 3-4 pound Haddock were discarded in the North Sea. That's more fish than every angler in the country collectively would catch in a lifetime not one year. Figures shown are for East Scotland

overallscotdiscard1e829373450984ce2.jpg

The figures are mind blowing

Multiply the figures on the left x 1000 and that's 400million Haddock just on the East coast of Scotland for 2001

Cod, Ices sub-area 1V, North Sea Discards for 2003 (Thousands of fish)

age0 age1 age2 age3

1611 2275 2195 300

So 2,195,000 age 2 or 3 pound fish discarded in one sub-area in one year Even Big Cod might struggle to catch that many.

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

says Ian

Here we go again ....

I have 0 discards; can't be me!

It's the bloody French/Spanish/Belgies/Swedes - foreign infiltrators, not us!

We're in a different ICES area, so it's not our problem.

It's the over 10s, not us; why should we be concerned.

It doesn't happen. It's just science stuff and ain't worth the paper it's printed on.

You don't know anything about it like we commercials do.

It's Brussels; we have no chance. No wonder our lads get hauled into court each week.

We have to break the rules to make an honest living!

Koof the lot of 'em!

:headhurt:

Sorry 'Hasty', but I found what you have written hard to follow.

I think I understand what you are saying, but you are hardly entering the debate from a position of credulity:

If you know there are rules to be followed. I suggest you do just that.

Anyway, , you appear to have got it about face .... sort of robbing the poor (me) to feed the rich.

:schmoll:

Hi HA,

I agree his post was not easy to follow and assumed this was because it was something new to him; so hardly seems fair to knock him for that.

Then you attack his right to an opinion here due to his connection to that case. I have only read bits and pieces about it but it looked a VERY unusual one. Care to flesh out the details of the case and perhaps give your views on its meaning for RSA? ;)

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

In 2003 28million 3-4 pound Haddock were discarded in the North Sea. That's more fish than every angler in the country collectively would catch in a lifetime not one year. Figures shown are for East Scotland

Multiply the figures on the left x 1000 and that's 400million Haddock just on the East coast of Scotland for 2001

Cod, Ices sub-area 1V, North Sea Discards (Thousands of fish)

age0 age1 age2 age3

2003 1611 2275 2195 300

So 300,000 age 3 fish discarded in one sub-area in one year Even Big Cod might struggle to catch that many.

Hello Ian

We are comparing the under ten meter boats catch for the southern north sea and channel nothing much to do with haddock in the northern north sea nor larger trawlers perhaps you have some reverent figures?

Anyone like to hazard a guess on the RSA uptake?

I fish to live and live to fish.

says Ian

Here we go again ....

I have 0 discards; can't be me!

It's the bloody French/Spanish/Belgies/Swedes - foreign infiltrators, not us!

We're in a different ICES area, so it's not our problem.

It's the over 10s, not us; why should we be concerned.

It doesn't happen. It's just science stuff and ain't worth the paper it's printed on.

You don't know anything about it like we commercials do.

It's Brussels; we have no chance. No wonder our lads get hauled into court each week.

We have to break the rules to make an honest living!

Koof the lot of 'em!

:headhurt:

You are babbling again HA probably foaming at the mouth and turning a darker shade of brown.

I fish to live and live to fish.

The state of fisheries affairs ain't pretty and you can't blame NFSA or the inshore fisheries working group for that. So what is the solution? Keep the head down and hope things manage themselves to the better? Why do you think that the commercials are so keen on angling NOT beeing better organised? Why do they support no angling license and all the rest, which could give sea angling more political clout?

Sorry mate but what planet do come from again, here in the UK on Earth we have

over 1.4 million licenced anglers - political clout = nothing

over 20 million TV licence holders - political clout = nothing

over 40 million licenced drivers - political clout = nothing

don’t know how it works on your planet but back here on Earth a licence = jack sh1t.

Joe

Cod, Ices sub-area 1V, North Sea Discards for 2003 (Thousands of fish)

age0 age1 age2 age3

1611 2275 2195 300

So 2,195,000 age 2 or 3 pound fish discarded in one sub-area in one year Even Big Cod might struggle to catch that many.

Hi Ian,

Can't say i ever used to hear of commercials comparing RSA catches to their own; at least not until the BMP issue started to come up in FN anyway.

I agree with you that discards are high, and it seems a great waste, but am unsure why you try and link discards from haddock fishing to this thread. Regardless of its effect on stocks, thats not how the quotas and management work. Haddock stocks, from a commercial/traditional fisheries science perspective anyway, are booming atm. I believe Alex Salmond was quoted as jokingly saying

you could walk from Scotland to Norway on haddock - usual political hyperbole but some truth to it i'd guess.

Thing surely is, Is that its NOT Haddock, mackerel, or Herring; all of which anglers have zero impact on, that restrictions on anglers will be justified on; its Turbot, Brill, and more than likely cod IMHO.

Challenge states that RSA land more than the under 10m commercials into Whitby, and i have no reason to doubt him. I'd imagine the same is true for my local port of Arbroath.

At the end of the day the discards issue is seperate from landings and its landings that the legislation Tsunami will hit (because its easy while discards its hard) and will happen while nothing is done about discards.

Chris

I see the 'Fifth Column' is in denial again ... they just hate facts and they like no facts even more!

:schmoll:

Standard lawyer attack on cop witnesses just before their "client" is found guilty yet again,. Shame is that yet again we all pay for the lawyers to defend wee johnny commiting his hundredth offence ;)

I take it you can't answer a single point then?