EFTTA - Sea Fishing Licence

Elton

Hello planet earth.

The license issue normally splits any angling community no matter in which part of the planet this discussion takes place. However, here is a spot where the majority of anglers see no other way forward than via a license:

In 1999, SARDI aquatic sciences conducted an attitudinal survey among South Australian recreational anglers and found the majority supported the introduction of a fishing licence. <LI>August 2002 omnibus survey indicated that 71% of the population would support such a proposal, with 12% unsure.

To my knowledge those fighting against this license most severely are commercial fishermen, which might have something to do with issues on the anglers wish list like this: 'Opportunity to voluntarily buy-out commercial licences and reduce increasing pressure on south australian fisheries, particularly in areas of high conflict, bays and estuaries and recognised spawning and nursery areas.'

[/color] http://www.fishsa.com/SARFAC-ProposedFishingLicence.phpSARFAC

Proposed All Waters Recreational Fishing Licence

Introduction

• Recreational fishing is one of south australia?s largest industries with over 450 000 residents over the age of 5 years fishing at least once every year with an annual recurrent expenditure of $ 350m ( 1977 survey ), to the states economy.
  • Given the importance of recreational fishing to the state there is a need for adequate financial resources to be directed towards management and development of the recreational fishery. this will ensure firstly, that the impact of recreational fishing on fish stocks does not exceed sustainable limits and secondly, that potential social and economic benefits are maximised for the community.
  • The magnitude and importance of the industry demands careful planning and responsible development, as most fish stocks are fully exploited and must be fished sustainably into the future.

Future management of the recreational fishery,/font

• Planning began in 1997 with a review of recreational fishing in south australia, commissioned by the minister for fisheries, in which sarfac took the lead role. a five year management strategy for sustainable development was subsequently published in april 2001, which included a five year strategic action plan.
  • This strategic action plan recognised the need to foster economic and social benefits from recreational fishing through targeted development programs.
  • Unfortunately, such initiatives remain unfunded and will simply not happen without one key plan - recreational fishing licences

Conditional Support

• SARFAC strongly supports the introduction of a licence on the condition that all funds are received into a dedicated trust fund established under legislation to be spent for the benefit of recreational fishing, research into those fisheries and ecosystems that sustain them.
  • Those in the community holding current pensioner entitlement and children under 16, and indigenous people fishing in areas subject to native title claims or indigenous land use agreements should be exempted.

NSW example of how licence funds can be used

• $19 million is being spent to buy out commercial fishers from the 30 recreational fishing havens. angler?s fees from recreational fishing licence sales are funding this buy-out.
  • The average agreed buy-out amount is $76,000 with a further payment available of up to $20,000 for relocation, retraining and depreciation. the buy- out cost of a commercial fisher is based on their catch history.

Recent public opinion studies

• In 1999, SARDI aquatic sciences conducted an attitudinal survey among South Australian recreational anglers and found the majority supported the introduction of a fishing licence.
  • August 2002 omnibus survey indicated that 71% of the population would support such a proposal, with 12% unsure.

How can licence funding be applied ?

SARFAC has a strong focus and high priority towards the introduction of a general angling licence to enable funding of the recommendations of the recreational fishing review committee?s report and in particular the delivery of the following benefits and recommendations for all south australians:

• Opportunity to voluntarily buy-out commercial licences and reduce increasing pressure on south australian fisheries, particularly in areas of high conflict, bays and estuaries and recognised spawning and nursery areas?.
  • Develop increased participation and enhancement of the social benefits and flow-on for all members of the community.
  • Funding for recreational research that will provide much needed data to support decision making processes. (this benefit was supported by the marine scalefish fishery management committee at its last meeting in June 2002, along with the notion of a recreational angling licence.)
  • Support funding for recreational only compliance officers.
  • Development of recreational only fishing havens.
  • Optimise the economic and social benefits of recreational fishing in south australia.
  • Development of high volume put and take fisheries in freshwater impoundments to reduce angling pressure on some of the sensitive fish stocks in estuaries.
  • Recognition by government of a community group ( licence payers ), which affords the opportunity to have a say as a stakeholder.
  • Provide the capacity to influence economic and competitive development of fisheries resources.
  • Development of community educational programs to encourage adoption of sustainable fishing practices and improve the understanding of fishery management principles.
  • Provide special project grants to recreational fishing clubs and associations.
  • Development of regional recreational fishing infrastructure plans.
  • Promotion of state tourism initiatives that benefit regional recreational fishing tourism and achievement of a world class recreational fishery in South Australia.

Summary

A recreational licence will enable the recreational fishing industry to progress its strategies and focus on Future development. without the economic benefits that would flow from licencing, it is likely that our objectives will not be achieved and development will continue to lag behind other states.

Around the world recreational fishing industries are continuing to expand and require adaptive management to demonstrate the effectiveness of community based strategies for recreational fisheries. community values continue to transcend both science and regulation toward a level of stewardship beyond the capacity of governments.

We invite you to review developments highlighted and ask for your support for the introduction of a general recreational fishing licence for the benefit of all South Australians.

You are comparing Southern Australia to England and Wales

firstly the licences are completely different - The Australian one will have a larger number of exemptions, will have the option of having a joint freshwater and saltwater licence and will benefit RSA's because all the money will be used to try to buy out commercials(as already happens in Australia), pay for scientific data collecting, icreasing RSA activity, etc, etc, etc. In England and Wales there will be far fewer exemptions, it will be a seperate licence therefore some anglers will have to pay twice and the majority of the money will be spent on the overhaul of SFC's, the setting up of new bodies, general administration and policing, and of course new carparks and toilets.

Secondly Australia controls it's own sea fisheries and we do not so any benefit that they will see, we will not.

You can not compare two countries that have totally different policies therefore having totally different outcomes, Defra itself stated last year that it was important to observe the models of other countries but it could be dangerous to make comparisons as different factors influence different policies around the world.

So just to recap a licence = no extra or bigger fish, no extra voice, infact no extra anything. It is a tax, nothing more, nothing less.

Joe

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear Steve .... mixing me up with someone else?

Naughty, naughty .... change of direction now is it? Discredit and refute!

I have NEVER mentioned haddock (whatever they are!).

I have never moaned about the size of bass from my local beach (13-12-0), taa! (You let some slip, Steve!)

Look, let it not be said that I am unhelpful to the commercial fellahs on here.

I'll put up a list of reasons why the commercial fleet is not responsible for present low fish stocks around the UK .... all you need to do then is to copy and paste the relevant excuse you wish to use.

Save us wading through loadsa hogwash, eh?

Just tick the boxes if you like -

A. It's Global Warming.

B. I have 0 discards; can't be me!

C. It's the bloody French/Spanish/Belgies/Swedes, not us! (Circle them all to cover all bases)

D. We're in a different ICES area, so it's not our problem.

E. It's the over 10s, not us; why should we be concerned.

F. It doesn't happen. It's just science stuff and ain't worth the paper it's printed on.

G. You don't know anything about it like we commercials do.

H. It's Brussels; we have no chance. No wonder our lads get hauled into court each week.

I. We have to break the law to make an honest living!

J. It's blowing a gale.

K. My bottom is covered in barnacles.

L. My boats has been on dry land for the past 6 weeks, your Honour.

M. My catch is dogfish, the soles are just By-Catch. That's allowed innit?

N. My name is Pedro Manuel Olathabel, your Honour. My family has fished three miles off Hastings for the past 200 years.

O. Bruddy RSAs take all our fish! Laden to the gunnels they are!

O. No speekee English!

etc

etc

:rolleyes:

But HA we are talking about the amount of cod given to the under ten sector with out RSA permission and the amount RSA take from the same fisheries.

You can if you like start another thread to discuss some of your points about what or who is to blame for your perception of low fish stocks and I'll try and reply in a civil manner.

Mean while I guesstermate the RSA take over 300 tons of cod from an area from Whitby to the Solent per year.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest challenge
As you are now an employe of the northeastern sea fisheries one of your comrades in arms simon prince said in scarborough last week anglers catch to much and they should have quota aystem and rod licences does this nugget realize just what he is saying in 1994 1.6 milloin pounds was estimated to go into the whitby economy through sea angling that figure is probably over 3 million now in 2008 that meeting was minuited and his words were recored i do hope his and your boss sees a bit more sense on this issue i am at a meeting with whitby counclil tommorow night people are now begining to ask questions but it would glad to hear the official stance being taken by the northestern sea fisheries just what they think charetboats no more in whitby people haveing to pay to fish in the sea jobs lost people are outraged by the thought of rod licences it is a tax nothing more anybody who thinks bigger and better fish will come with a licence are vastly mistaken t.

Paul.

My stance has not changed on fishing licences.

I suggest that you read the minutes of the last NESFC meeting held in Whitby last week, so that you can see the support that is within that committee in regards to recreational sea angling.

To put a figure on what RSA brings into the town in relation to income is pointless if not counterproductive when arguing your case for de regulating in an industry that is not regulated.

I was trying to highlight to you that there is nothing to stop you from doing some commercial fishing the same as there is nothing to stop commercial fishermen from doing some work within the recreational industry.

The only people who cannot (legally) pick and chose are the anglers.

Regards.

Hello Barry

I doubt that 1.4% has any baring on the cod uptake by RSA comparing with the UNDER 10 sector.

Hi Wurzel, certainly aint me taking the cod from the top end of the channel, not for the want of trying.

I have one more oportunity this month before we turn our attention to other specis. If i don't succeed in catching just one decent cod, another year will have to pass. Not talking about the ones on the wrecks.

Apart from loads of juvenile codling i have seen no reports of any decent cod landings again from the top end of the channel. Don't think there's loads of rsa taking loads of the juvenile codlings is there? Is it a local population of reasonable cod in the nw. Again haven't heard of any really good ones being taken yet.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

This is not a fact but fear -which I share. But a license might be the smallest of worries for angling everything considered. Access to fishstocks and fishing areas (MPAs) are tomorrows fight. And a range of stakeholders' interests are involved, oil industry, windmills, shipping, commercial and recreational fishing, birds, green NGOs etc. Is angling ready for that to come? Hardly more than partly.

But it is a fact, it is impossible to create bigger and better fish stocks unless we control our own fisheries, that is fact, and a licence will give us no more say than we have now, that is also fact.

Here is one more fact for you, New Zealand, Norway and Iceland have some of the best sea fishing in the world but is that because they have a rod licence - no because they don't, it is because they have control of their own fisheries and that is what creates a better marine environment and not a rod licence - FACT.

Yes there are many more things that affect sea anglers but a rod licence is in my opinion near the top of the list because allowing the introduction of a licence will leave anglers open to untold amounts of legislation, that is also a fact, just look at America.

Joe

But HA we are talking about the amount of cod given to the under ten sector with out RSA permission and the amount RSA take from the same fisheries.

You can if you like start another thread to discuss some of your points about what or who is to blame for your perception of low fish stocks and I'll try and reply in a civil manner.

Mean while I guesstermate the RSA take over 300 tons of cod from an area from Whitby to the Solent per year.

Hi Peter

quote/ Mean while I guesstermate the RSA take over 300 tons of cod from an area from Whitby to the Solent per year.

Are you saying that RSA are catching more than commercials and thats why DEFRA are going to licence them and impose a bag limit

steve

Indeed. Here it is. License or no license, this is happening. Question is do anglers want not to be part of discussions because that's the way to avoid angling unity and licenses? Are anglers happy that these and other topics are surveyed and discussed with other stakeholders without anglers having a clue about it because angling don't have the money and people to attend meetings or to dig out, read and spread information like this?

Anglers' cod fishing is under threat. This will not go away by itself or due to some shouting on Anglersnet. More is needed.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/e...fCommission Regulation (EC) No 1639/2001 of 25 July 2001 establishing the minimum and extended Community programmes for the collection of data in the fisheries sector and laying down detailed rules for the application of Council Regulation (EC) No 1543/2000 paage 35:

Appendix XI (section E)

List of recreational fisheries stocks (MP)

1. Salmon (marine waters in the Baltic Sea and North Sea):

Catch figures collected in weight and number by:

— geographical area as defined in Appendix 1, level 2.

2. Bluefin tuna (all areas):

Catch figures collected in weight and number by:

— annual basis,

— geographical area as defined in Appendix 1, level 2,

— distinguishing catch of fish below and above 10 kg.

3. Cod in areas III, IV, V, VI and VII:

Catch figures collected in weight by:

— geographical area as defined in Appendix 1, level 2.

The conclusions of these surveys must be forwarded to the Commission by 31

March 2007.

-----------------

UK NATIONAL PROGRAMME FOR THE COLLECTION AND MANAGEMENT OF FISHERIES DATA IN 2007

(..)

<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0cm 3pt; TEXT-INDENT: 36pt">5.7 MP – Recreational – Planned sampling</H2>

The UK has no marine recreational fisheries for salmon and blue fin tuna. The results from a pilot study to assess the level of landings from the recreational fisheries for cod in areas of the UK coast in ICES Areas IV, VI and VII are not yet available. As such it is not possible yet to provide full details of planned work for 2007. However, it is intended to develop on the work carried out in 2006 during 2007, and various options are under consideration, primarily focussed on establishing alternative methods for collecting data to increase the scope of participation in any data collection exercise to cover what is a very wide target population. As such as a minimum it is envisaged that a further data collection exercise will take place during 2007, but its exact scope has yet to be finalised. The work planned includes taking advantage of existing national bodies and companies publishing journals and magazines focussed on recreational fishing as well as increased interest from main stream media in the UK in this area during 2006. Various joint initiatives may thus be possible to gather information on recreational sea fishing in the UK. As possible options have yet to be finalised, it has not proved possible to detail the full scope of work that will be carried out as part of this programme. It is expected that a final work plan will have been drawn up by the time of the annual bilateral with the UK on the data collection programme in January/February 2007.

Hi Fishingsfine

Does this mean that DEFRA have to bring in RSA licences and maybe bag limits so as to comply with EU regulations on collection of data?????

steve

Hi Wurzel, certainly aint me taking the cod from the top end of the channel, not for the want of trying.

I have one more opertunity this month before we turn our attention to other specis. If i don't succeed in catching just one decent cod, another year will have to pass. Not talking about the ones on the wrecks.

Apart from loads of juvenile codling i have seen no reports of any decent cod landings again from the top end of the channel. Don't think there's loads of rsa taking loads of the juvenile codlings is there? Is it a local population of reasonable cod in the nw. Again haven't heard of any really good ones being taken yet.

Hello Barry

You've probably missed your chance of a big cod from that area as they will have moved off to spawn by now, I know little of the spring run for that area we used to fish just off Dover up till Christmas or just after, after that it was a waste of time and we turned to the wrecks off shore.

Have another go end of March or April.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Barry

You've probably missed your chance of a big cod from that area as they will have moved off to spawn by now, I know little of the spring run for that area we used to fish just off Dover up till Christmas or just after, after that it was a waste of time and we turned to the wrecks off shore.

Have another go end of March or April.

I have indeed previously seen the netters in the harbour with good cod, but again i have seen nothing this winter. Over two years ago was the last time i had a decent one, in my mind i was owed one this year. :headhurt: About three weeks ago we were out no more than a mile off, lots of codling, however one good one was on me line no more than twenty seconds, taking line off me clutch, away it went, when i reeled in me 30lb trace was shredded not snapped. Don't know if it was a large cod or possibly a conger. Shame. <_<

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..