Long trotting, tightening the line and the strike on a fixed spool reel

tiddlertamer

When trotting a float down a swim, the lovely moment it disappears is followed by the strike. But what is the best way to tighten the line and thus execute the strike and set the hook?

In relation to a fixed spool reel, (I know – centrepins are better and don't cause the following problem) I have been given conflicting advice as to what should be done.

There are in essence three ways of tightening the line but which is best and most commonly used?

1)The first method is to flick the bale arm with a finger to engage it and then strike to set the hook.

2)Secondly you can drive the handle on the reel forward to automatically engage the bale arm whilst striking. However, this works OK on my old Mitchell reel but with my new Shimano reel, there is sometimes too much resistance to engage the bale arm. Essentially, when opening the bale arm it needs to opened in a particular way – from a top position and taken down. If this isn't done, then there is not enough momentum to engage the bale arm when driving the handle forward. (I hope that explanation makes sense!)

3)Thirdly, the line which is trickling through my fingers as it leaves the spool is held in place by the same fingers as the strike is executed. Then the bale arm can be engaged once the hook is set.

Which technique works best?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bloody good question ,i'm sat here trying to replay what i do in my mind ,and as far as can recall i either trap the line too the spool or it lip with a fingertip or cup the spool with the palm of my left hand then close the bailarm after the hook is set.or like your third way if i'm feeding line off .

your old mitchell is quite different too modern reels in the bailarm has to be mechanically tripped and won't normally close manually .Where as most modern reels you can simply fold the bailarm over till it clicks into place .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Just keep your finger hovering over the spool and as you strike press your finger on the spool .

Yes that's how i did it for years and when you hook a good fish you will find you have to get the bail arm over as quick as you can to play it. But don't worry about the pain of the bail arm hitting you on the back of the finger, as after a few years you will probably get a center-pin. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Yes, trap the line with the index finger; or buy a closed face reel, or a centrepin.

That's the way, though I know some who use the middle finger instead.

It's sometimes a problem for those who have short fingers, and something to bear in mind when choosing a fixed spool for trotting.

I luckily have long fingers so never had a problem, but years ago I used to shorten the stock for a friend, who wasn't so lucky.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Like Chavender, I had to think about what I do but as the majority here it is finger on spool but also ensuring that the line comes off the water easily so that you can mend it to maintain contact with the float. I must confess that I stopped using open faced reels for trotting a long time ago in favour of a closed faced abu 507 or centrepin. Great way of fishing though as it teaches you a great deal about the topography of a river and it is a pity that so many anglers have not tried it.

That's the way, though I know some who use the middle finger instead.

Actually, having picked up a rod and reel to check, it turns out that I use my middle finger too.

Isn't it odd how much of fishing is automatic?