The Devils Hole Pupfish

Chris Plumb

How long before it gets stocked with carp?

John.

All ready for stocking.

dried-fish-salted-carp-appetizer-4311241

They each have a little piece of iron inserted in the mouth. You use Korda Magnetz for bait, bag up every time.

29-3-10_002b.jpg

Amazon basin has circa known 5,600 fish species.

But few species hunters live there. We can all make trips there of course, but how many species might one angler realistically catch in a fortnight's vacation ?

Many of those species are rare, and exist only in one small watershed, perhaps in only one small isolated pool. Different pools and different watersheds are a long way apart - Brazil is a big country, relatively few roads and travel is difficult. So a visitor is stuck with the local waters - the logistics of fishing more than one area per week are unrealistic.

As a rough guide, I have made two expeditions to Brazil, one of three weeks and one of two. During those five weeks Norma and I spent half the time birdwatching, and half the time fishing. We fished four rivers - far enough apart to require air travel between each. My species count for Brazil was 42.

Once you have caught the commonest dozen species in an area, it becomes progressively more difficult to add to the list. Allied to which there is overlap - some species are common in several locations (bloody carp are everywhere !) I know I have had to work damned hard for my present score of 471 world species. I have had thousands of the commonest thirty species, but for many of the others, just one specimen - often after hours of research, location, and actual fishing. Ask Lutra about the effort that went into my charr from Coniston !

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

But few species hunters live there. We can all make trips there of course, but how many species might one angler realistically catch in a fortnight's vacation ?

Many of those species are rare, and exist only in one small watershed, perhaps in only one small isolated pool. Different pools and different watersheds are a long way apart - Brazil is a big country, relatively few roads and travel is difficult. So a visitor is stuck with the local waters - the logistics of fishing more than one area per week are unrealistic.

As a rough guide, I have made two expeditions to Brazil, one of three weeks and one of two. During those five weeks Norma and I spent half the time birdwatching, and half the time fishing. We fished four rivers - far enough apart to require air travel between each. My species count for Brazil was 42.

Once you have caught the commonest dozen species in an area, it becomes progressively more difficult to add to the list. Allied to which there is overlap - some species are common in several locations (bloody carp are everywhere !) I know I have had to work damned hard for my present score of 471 world species. I have had thousands of the commonest thirty species, but for many of the others, just one specimen - often after hours of research, location, and actual fishing. Ask Lutra about the effort that went into my charr from Coniston !

Dave

Many Amazon fish you will never catch on a rod and line. There are hundreds of species in the Genus Corydoras alone and I don't think you'd catch many of them on a rod.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I have kept several and bred least two Corydoras spp. in aquaria. All seem opportunist feeders despite having various preferences - something they share with over 95% of all fish (that's an informed guess based on a lifetime of watching, keeping and angling for many species) If any fish ever eats anything large enough to put on a #26 hook I reckon it can be caught on hook and line (rod optional)

Yes, there are fish that are parasitic (eg candiru - a blood sucking catfish) and others that feed on items too small to go on the tiniest hook. Even some of those will go for bait on occasion. Part of species hunting is overcoming such obstacles - I have caught tiny fish that were not hooked, just reluctant to let go of the bait.

RNLI Governor

Vagabond,

Hence the horrible sport of "snagging" here in the States. Not to mention bow, shocking, gigging, spear, explosives, - - shall I go on? All categorized as "fishing".

Phone

Well, I set my own rules. They exclude those forms of "fishing" . I fish for pleasure and am answerable only to my own conscience. the laws of the land, and any "rules" imposed by the fishery owner. If I object to either of the two latter, I don't fish there or do not use that particular method..

But I count anything caught whilst "fair angling" for which I have my own (too complex to define here) definition.

For example, I have never caught a brook lamprey Lampetra planeri by "angling". I have, however caught them with my bare hands (for use as bait). I don't count them in my species list. On the other hand, I have caught marlin with spearfish remora Remora brachyptera attached, I do count the remora on my species list, in the same way as I would count (say) a pike that had seized a hooked roach whilst I was roach fishing and been subsequently landed. Inconsistent ? Well, maybe, but as I said, I fish to please myself.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

Well, I set my own rules. They exclude those forms of "fishing" . I fish for pleasure and am answerable only to my own conscience. the laws of the land, and any "rules" imposed by the fishery owner. If I object to either of the two latter, I don't fish there or do not use that particular method..

But I count anything caught whilst "fair angling" for which I have my own (too complex to define here) definition.

For example, I have never caught a brook lamprey Lampetra planeri by "angling". I have, however caught them with my bare hands (for use as bait). I don't count them in my species list. On the other hand, I have caught marlin with spearfish remora Remora brachyptera attached, I do count the remora on my species list, in the same way as I would count (say) a pike that had seized a hooked roach whilst I was roach fishing and been subsequently landed. Inconsistent ? Well, maybe, but as I said, I fish to please myself.

Don't we all?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Don't we all?

I'm afraid not. Many fish in order to impress others. Cast a critical eye over claims for "records"

• Like 1

RNLI Governor