On the road at 16.

mr motorola

Is anyone up to speed with the disability program?

I had a chat today with a guy who is rather peeved off with a particular issue of it.

The scenario is this……..

A young man , just turned 16 is claiming disability benefits , his mother and father are on the books as his registered carer (aswell as being his parents) , so , the parents don’t work in the normal sense of the word, they sit around in the house all day while he plays on his Wii.

This family have up to 4 holidays (abroad) per year , off the back of the working man. And also work ‘on the side’ delivering take-aways.

Anyway , enough background…..the real gripe this guy has with the above is , the boy has recently turned 16 years of age and , unbeknown to most people , he is now eligible AND taking driving lessons. Due to some sort of loophole in the law and his ‘disablement’ , he is now on the road taking driving lessons (BSM) oh , I forgot to add , these lessons are free , gratis , all part of the benefits program to re-abilitate the boy.

Does this seem a little strange to you , it sure does to me.

Is this yet ANOTHER put down on a normal working man / woman who is in control of all his faculties and abilities?

Does it say that a disabled person , on benefits , is a better driver than a fully able bodied person? This is why you can enter into lessons at a slightly earlier age?

Is it true that a 16 year old disabled boy / girl can hit the road?

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that a 16 year old disabled boy / girl can hit the road?

He can 'hit the road' as much as he likes, but if you refer to driving a four wheeled vehicle, he can, provided it's got John Deere, Massey Furgeson or the like written on the side. :P

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

But why is it so that he has the earlier chance of getting behind the wheel of a car before a 'normal' 16 year old.

He's been seen taking the lessons too by the way.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

are the lessons on normal roads or a practice circuit ? you can learn to drive when you like but 16 is ok for the disabled but they cant get a licence till 17 like everyone else! if you want to drive at 16 then live on the isle of man.

in america minors under 13 can get a licence to drive a disabled parent about (not sure though they can if they are disabled!)

hmmm looking here it seems 16 is alowable

http://www.dialuk.info/info_service/Inform...port_travel.asp

yep from the dvla site

The minimum age for driving cars is 17, but if you're getting Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate (mobility component), you can drive at 16.

i have no problem with it after all they are disabled not fit young things that can walk for a further year

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Learning to drive

The usual minimum age for driving cars is 17. However, if you are currently getting Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate (mobility component), the minimum age for driving is 16.

But I doubt if that is the point being made. :huh:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

nothing to stop those wishing to drive earlier to have their legs damaged for life but would they want to have that ,i bet not ,maybe just park in their spaces will subdue their ignorence and envy

and yes its paid for under the mobility scheme just as lessons can be paid for for carers ,a car is legs when your disabled ,mr m sure has a problem with the unfortunates of this country although i whole heartedly agree with him over some that claim to be disabled but are fitter than most of us!

the disabled have a far more difficult time getting a licence than joe bloggs i can assure you so "normal" people with all their "faculties" and "abilities " (thats a joke in itself) will be relieved to hear :rolleyes:

i certainly wouldn't fear the disabled driver over some w.anker in a shell suite and cap under his hoodie with a torn england flag out of his window with more power in his amp than his engine anyday (icon for two fingers up here please)

and yes i can drive my golf in london too for F all :P (icon for two fingers up here please)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

nothing to stop those wishing to drive earlier to have their legs damaged for life but would they want to have that ,i bet not ,maybe just park in their spaces will subdue their ignorence and envy

and yes its paid for under the mobility scheme just as lessons can be paid for for carers ,a car is legs when your disabled ,mr m sure has a problem with the unfortunates of this country although i whole heartedly agree with him over some that claim to be disabled but are fitter than most of us!

the disabled have a far more difficult time getting a licence than joe bloggs i can assure you so "normal" people with all their "faculties" and "abilities " (thats a joke in itself) will be relieved to hear :rolleyes:

i certainly wouldn't fear the disabled driver over some w.anker in a shell suite and cap under his hoodie with a torn england flag out of his window with more power in his amp than his engine anyday (icon for two fingers up here please)

The 'unfortunate' of this country , i have NO problem with. It's the idle lazy lay-about slackers i have a problem with.

BUT , what special concessions do the normal workers get for all their input into the little kitty? ZIP.

'a pillock in a shell suit with a cap under his hoodie' isn't the idea i was trying to put across , it was the idea of young decent kids with a future in life (they're a dying breed) who wants to further his potential prospects in seeking work being shunned for the disabled, who, for the genuinely disabled , can't put into societies coffers the same as a normal worker.As for the rest of the idle t@ssers on the pan-crack , i've given up all hope for them.

And while we're on the subject , why are there disabled bays at D.I.Y. stores? The whole concept of a DIY store is Do It YOURSELF. Now am i being silly here or is the general consensus of the idea being that you are involved in climbing steps , being in precarious positions under a bath / sink , climbing ladders , tinkering with wires in a loft and many many more. But you're disabled , so you can't DO IT YOURSELF , so why bother having the bays?

Merely an observation and solely MY opinion.

because not all disabled are so dumb they cant do a bit of diy ,just because your legs dont work doesent make you a dribbling idiot with a rubber hat on their head.

would you say the same to douglas bader yes through broken teeth i bet!

why cant the disabled decide what they can do they dont need someone so jelouse they get a little priority in life to tell them what they can and cant do.

that slapper mills does ok ,just earned 25 million i hear

Edited by chesters1

If they're up to doing 'a bit' of diy then they are up to doing 'a bit' of work then. Can't have it both ways i'm afraid :P

that slapper mills does ok ,just earned 25 million i hear
That thing wants putting in quarantine or better still............shipping off the island.Me thinks she has just made herself public enemy number one. Damn , she's pinched my top spot!! :P :P

If they're up to doing 'a bit' of diy then they are up to doing 'a bit' of work then. Can't have it both ways i'm afraid :P That thing wants putting in quarantine or better still............shipping off the island.Me thinks she has just made herself public enemy number one. Damn , she's pinched my top spot!! :P:P

i expect most disabled do work ,most are not in cots **** their pants you know ,without their cars and spaces a lot more would be at home.

i get the impression you think its its easy money living on disabled benefits and all those perks they appear to get i can assure you it is not! well for the genuine disabled ,the "rest" probably work anyway on the side

Edited by chesters1