Is there something in the air?

poledark

I have a LITTLE water near me (which I class as a top class water), which I catch Large (all about 2lb) Roach, Rudd and bream. I catch Crucians (2-3lb) in the summer, I catch large Perch (anything up to 4lb) and, of course, Carp to low doubles.

I had a Carper come and and fish next to me last summer and ask what I was fishing for. When I said Crucians, I was told there were none in the lake. Within a minute I had caught my 14th, which I showed him and he said "f*** me, I've been fishing here 10 years and never knew they were in here!"

I didn't tell him that I helped stock the lake 18 years ago!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case some don't understand the problem.

In my area, I can think of about 12 established still waters, (by that I mean fisheries that were there when I was young, 40 or so yrs ago).

I used to fish for roach, perch, tench, bream and the odd carp in all those waters.

All but a couple have been stocked heavily with carp now. So if I want to just spend a day fishing as I used to do, I can't. As soon as I start to build a swim, in come the carp and that's it.

This is on top of the half dozen or so waters, that have been built specifically for putting carp in. This is one reason why I rarely fish still waters now. It's no use saying move to another water, they're all the same, my choice is being taken away.

That problem is bad enough, but add to that the thousands of fish that have been washed out of these waters, and into the river systems and..well, you work it out.

I know this is slightly off topic, but it is connected, in that the mind set that produces Budgies "Crap Yobs", is also responsible for ruining many waters.

I appreciate that this might not seem a problem in the eyes of a newcomer, after all they have nothing to compare it with, but for many of us it is a problem. One which I'm afraid has caused several anglers I know to pack it in, (I've even considered it myself). If seasoned anglers leave, to be replaced by the "Crap Yobs", then it can't be good for the future of angling.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think you should take note of the fact that I am not a single minded single species angler. What I am, is a 70 year old who has trouble walking far, and carp fishing (and pike fishing, and tench fishing and eel fishing....) is readily availabe to me within 6 minurtes drive, followed by a short walk behind my electric barrow.

But, yes, I do spend most days after carp, not to bothered whether they are 20's or 30's, but if there wasn't the chance of getting one of them, and only 5/6 pounders were on offer, then I would switch to the pole (Have you ever battled a big double on a pole? I have, and it is AWESOME.

I have been guilty of being fixated with different species at diferent times. It has ranged from carp (stalking) in the 50's, pike spinning in the winters for many years (rivers and lakes) Trout fly fishing for a few years (mainly due to work pressures, school fees etc) then back to carping, then a few years of poleitis, then barbel on the Kennet and lea, back to carping, then the Roach bug took over again....

You will have gathered that I get a bit single minded about my fishing on occasions :)

Now, it suits a elderly old fella like me, to sit in a nice clean swim, under a nice big brolly with bite alarms, and a lake/pit, well stocked with lovely big fish.......heaven.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

John, I hear what you say, but imagine us disabled! I would LOVE to fish a decent river, but I can't - it's too far to walk.

May I suggest that you try baits that Carp don't particularly like?

I catch all the species I mentioned earlier in the little pond I fish PLUS there is always the excitement of picking up one of the leviathon Carp, and then it is a battle of wits between the two of you, using light line and tackle!

John (Gozzer),

I understand what you are saying.

I used to fish a charming ancient land-locked water in Shropshire on a SSSI site, very very close to a well known Syndicate water. It was a club water (for at least 30 years or so) open to all (I lived in Hampshire at the time but was a member). For several years I enjoyed fantastic tench, bream and roach fishing and the occasional Pike session.

During one closed season, on a working party trip, we discovered a group of very large carp in the shallows - we were quite dump-founded by the discovery. That season everybody started catching carp on a whole host of baits. When the lease came for renewal at the end of that season, the riparian said he had been approached by another party who were willing to pay five times what our club had been paying. We dug deep and saved it for the following season but couldn't hold onto it because the financial demands became way above the clubs resources.

However, I don't hold any malice whatsoever towards the lads that are now bivvied up there enjoying the carp fishing (probably as I type this now) as I believe there were unseen forces in the background 'oiling the cogs'. I consider myself fortunate that I had those few precious years of very enjoyable fishing before everything got (in hindsight) very messy and unnecessarily nasty.

What goes around comes around eventually. I just find new waters and consider myself very fortunate to now be located near to some outstanding river fishing, the likes of I have never had before.

Cheers

Chris

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Now, it suits a elderly old fella like me, to sit in a nice clean swim, under a nice big brolly with bite alarms, and a lake/pit, well stocked with lovely big fish.......heaven.

Den - think back a few months and see if the idea of moving across the pond is viable.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Jan and Newt. I have given it some very serious thought. My visit to you confirmed everything I thought about Americans and the bit I saw of USA. I have convinced myself that I would find it very frusrating to move over there....so much to see........so much I couldn't get to see.......so much frustration:)......and as Jan has said...Hazel wouldn't go for it, and It's not all about fishing is it?

Even here in UK I suffer bouts of frustration....places I have fished and would like to go back to. Places I have never fished but would like to visit..all getting just a bit out of reach now. Walking any distance is quite painful for me, when we walk the dog at weekends, after about 200 yds I am looking back and thinking "and now I've got to walk all that way back"

Just imagine seeing a beautiful mountain stream and not being able to get to the bank to fish.............

So I'll not thank you for reawakening my longings, but I will thank you both for showing me just a small part of what might have been :)

Still it has been a good week, Blanked on Monday, but spotted a couple of fish moving up the other end of the lake. Tuesday I fished where I hoped I could reach them,but the wind was wrong. Moved swims and got upwind of them, and a long chuck(110 yds) got two baits in the right area. Had a 19lber and lost another just short of the net. Back in the same spot on Wednesday and had a couple of good doubles 14 and 16 lbs.

Blanked today.

Did I say I felt frustrated? Not me :) happy as a pig.............

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Kleinboet, can you tell me what baits carp don't paticularly like, I've tried but never found one. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

John, I know they eat most baits we use, but I have found my catch rate of none Carp isimproved if I use good old maggots, bread punch and brandlings. There is something in the saying 'big baits for big fish', I know you will never stop them (Carp), but the other species seem to get to the named baits quicker!