Is there something in the air?

poledark

Hi Den,

An interesting observation on your part and something that has been around on this site for a long time, that is the poking or prodding of lets say fun at "Carpers".

I have in my tackle armory four carp rods with bait runners, alarms, pod, S/S bank sticks, indicators, ball rests, 42 inch landing, bed chair, bivvy and all the required end tackle to fish for Carp, i however consider myself a fisherman and i would fish all types of waters during the season for all types of species.

I would be honoured and delighted to fish all and every session in a swim next to you as i consider you to be an fisherman of the highest integrity and experience not as some describe some as, just a "Carper". If as a fisherman you wish to fish for Carp only then so be it.

The post that Gozzer made about not all football fans are hooligans is very near the nub of this thread, as not all Carpers are destructive to our sport, yet a lot are and there in lay the problems.

Over the last five years i have had very few session disrupted or ruined, i think mainly because i generally only fish club waters and when possible at the considered off peak times, but thous that have been have all involved lets say people fishing for Carp. That is my only explanation that makes any sense, linked to what others have stated regarding the press and how fishermen are introduced to our sport.

I will not recount any of my experiences as i do not believe them to be relevant suffice to say that in noway should you have the slightest doubt that fisherman like you are held in the highest regard by all other fisherman, particularly those an this forum.

From one fisherman to another. :D:sun::thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point about the BBQ mate! My leg gets any worse then Andrew will be having to weld me up a cross country bath chair to wheel me backwards and forwards! (I always new a younger brother would come in handy!) Either that or get a lift on Dens electric trolley!I hope you will be on the carp lake as I dont feel quite so bad catching eels knowing that at least one other person is struggling to catch his intended species either!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The post that Gozzer made about not all football fans are hooligans is very near the nub of this thread, as not all Carpers are destructive to our sport, yet a lot are and there in lay the problems.

Yes I thought so as well. Some years back now (when I first started to notice this problem/trend) I would regularly be moaning about it on various forums,at various meetings,in mags etc.To differentiate between the good and the bad (so to speak) I took to using the term "Crap Yobs" (an anagram of Carp Boys for those who dont do the Times cross word ;) ) to refer to the less desirable element to fish for carp so that my remarks werent aimed at true "Carp Anglers".

It really took off! Trouble was I had to stop using it as poor old Paul Selman used to have kittens every time I did so :rolleyes: No matter how I or others tried he couldnt grasp the difference I was trying to infer! TYhink he thought I was some kind of manic matchman or something......

Might start using it again so I dont upset fellow "carp anglers" especially those like Den that I too admire so much.Strange thing is as I am so critical of many of the modern carpers lots have actually lost sight of the fact that I am one too!

To show a bit of "angling unity"! I once attended a series of evening matchs being held on my local clubs pool (a renowned carp water) the guys were really strugling to keep the attendances worthwhile so several of us all rounders (and some of the hardcore carp anglers too) would turn up and fish on the Wednesday evenings.Great fun and it turned a "get together" into a proper match for the few who were that way inclined.I was lucky enough to do well in them and at the end of the series had come second over all.I went to the AGM and was given a trophy.Afterwards we were discussing the futurestocking policy of the pool and when I sugested it would be a waste of the avaiable money to buy more carp (the pool has a good head of big carp up to 40lb) I was instantly shouted down as I was (in the eyes of those who always attended AGM's but spent little time on the banks) a "match angler"!

Strange also how those whoose choice of angling preference is very narrow cant get their heads around the "all rounder" thing.Because guilty of the same "labelling" as those carpers at the AGM when I first turned up at the evening matchs draw I was promptly told by one of the entrants " You cant fish here tonight mate" when I asked why he replied "because its a match and your a carp angler!" :angry: No wonder their attendances had dropped.Needless to say most of the matchmenand the organisers welcomed us and happily took our cash.Not really being interested in pools money (mind you at these matchs it wouldnt even cover your bait! might reach to a Kebab on the way home if you were lucky!) But I did enjoy taking this guys dough each week! I told him I was going to spend it all on boillies! :P

Edited by BUDGIE

Let me get this straight - Am I correct in saying that there is a fear that Carpers will overtake EVERY water in the country? Impossible!! All waters need a variety of fish in to stay healthy, that's where the Pike and Perch come in.

If you had a water that had ONLY Carp in it, They would be dead in a very short time!! Being omnivorous, they need theother fish to crap in the water to fertilize the algae and plant growth, and then the odd fry to complete their diet.

Carpers aren't interested in small ponds, they want to put all three or four rods 100 - 150 metres out, resting on a bed of ground bait.

There will ALWAYS be a place for the general fisherman to fish!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I think its more that due to its popularity more water owners will turn their waters into ones to attract carpers to make more money.Kind of a supply and demand thing.Like many others will know you can get some great roach or perch fishing on carp water as they are pretty much left alone! I think the worry is also that despite there still being good general fishing to be had on some of these waters the pleasure type angler might get "priced out" also that existing good general waters will be spoilt by the removal of their natural stock which will be replaced with carp.Obviously wont happen on all waters but thats very little comfort if it has/will happened on your favourite water though.

All waters need a variety of fish in to stay healthy, that's where the Pike and Perch come in. If you had a water that had ONLY Carp in it, They would be dead in a very short time!! Being omnivorous, they need theother fish to crap in the water to fertilize the algae and plant growth, and then the odd fry to complete their diet.
An experienced angler knows this but an inexperienced one who has only ever carp fished and only has eyes for carp wont.
Carpers aren't interested in small ponds, they want to put all three or four rods 100 - 150 metres out, resting on a bed of ground bait.
Carpers are interested in any water that has carp in.
Yes but will they always be the places you want to fish?

Let me get this straight - Am I correct in saying that there is a fear that Carpers will overtake EVERY water in the country? Impossible!! All waters need a variety of fish in to stay healthy, that's where the Pike and Perch come in.

If you had a water that had ONLY Carp in it, They would be dead in a very short time!! Being omnivorous, they need theother fish to crap in the water to fertilize the algae and plant growth, and then the odd fry to complete their diet.

Sorry for reading between the lines a bit here. But are you saying if i had a nice 3 or 4 acre lake with a nice balance of native fish and i put a couple of hundred carp in it, they would have no detrimental effect on the native species? Or do you think any suppression of native species is a price all anglers should be happy to pay in most waters in the UK.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Carpers are interested in any water that has carp in.

Definitely true the mixed lake of my local club the largest possible cast is 30 yards yet after the carpers overtook the majority of the matchmen on the committee all the rules stopping carpers fishing this lake were removed and now every swim is full of Budgie's crap yobs complete with big pit reels etc!

I've just realised I'm only a typo away from being a Carper so I'm going to shut up!

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

fish and let fish there are winkers in all forms of fishing If ish for any fish that may come along I dont specifically fish for carp but if Icatch one its ok but I wouldnt bivvy up Id rather night fish awake but if others have their preference thats ok by me .ps yes Ihave carped but its not for me

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

Den,

None of the remarks are directed towards vastly experienced anglers such as yourself.

Having differences is what sets us above the rest of the Animal Kingdom. I always let and let live with fellow anglers to a limit - I will defend my stance on those that are less experienced (and I am sorry, it is in my experience mostly carp anglers) who can ruin my swim by crashing up to me causing great disturbance to the fish that were feeding in my 'margin swim', however a polite pointing out often avoids any further repeats. I know many carp anglers and very very few I do not get on with.

Richard Walker summed up fishing for me with two words - controlled impatience - and if that includes people I still adopt that philosophy. If I don't enjoy where I fish I simply move to a different water with no bad feelings......

Chris

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Agree with the above...just change venue if it's that much of a problem

TBH with my fishing style now (lures, fly & mobile etc) fishing a lot of commericials just isn't an option (too busy with carp anglers) even though I have caught good pike from quite a few of them in the past.

Decided to move on venue wise to reservoirs and or course, rivers when open.

Edited by Neil G