Is there something in the air?

poledark

How can a 6lb Tench be a pain in the arse

I fish a long-established commercial well known for big carp. Its so long-established that is more like an estate lake.

I fish it for the big tench it holds (my best tench there 8-12, and they have been caught to ten) Most times I float-fish, close to the reeds, lift method - enjoyable and effective.

A carper next peg to me caught a six-pound tench on his bolt rig, was not happy, and referred to it as a "scum fish". Unfortunately for him, the fishery owner was within earshot, and didn't like his fish so described. He is as proud of his 10 lb tench as he is of his 40 lb carp.

He told Mr Carper in no uncertain terms to get over to the office and get his money back, and never show up at his water again. I don't suppose it taught Mr Carper anything about respect for other species, but it made the fishery owner feel a bit better :)

Me? I just kept my head down :rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I know they eat most baits we use, but I have found my catch rate of none Carp isimproved if I use good old maggots, bread punch and brandlings. There is something in the saying 'big baits for big fish', I know you will never stop them (Carp), but the other species seem to get to the named baits quicker!

:) You've just mentioned three of my staple stillwater baits Keinboet. Maggots, bread (in all it's guises), worms along with caster cover me for just about most situations. I've never used boilies, pellets, hair rigs or bolt rigs in my life.

On the waters I've fished, that are heavily ( but not necessarily over) stocked with carp, I feel if I put a piece of S**T on the hook some carp will be stupid enough to take it. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I hear you John - FWIW I think we have been overworried as to where the next generation of anglers is coming from, so we have taken "newbies" to waters that you know they will catch reasonable fish.

This anglers have now become dedicated Carpers.

I often speak to the youngsters fishing our waters (I class anyone under 40 as a youngster!) explaining that there is a variety of fish in the water and finesse is needed to get them out. I have shown them that battling a 6lb Tench, using a top 4 of the pole with 3lb line can give you as big a buzz as catching a 20lb Carp on "overkill" tackle!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I hear you John - FWIW I think we have been overworried as to where the next generation of anglers is coming from, so we have taken "newbies" to waters that you know they will catch reasonable fish.

This anglers have now become dedicated Carpers.

I often speak to the youngsters fishing our waters (I class anyone under 40 as a youngster!) explaining that there is a variety of fish in the water and finesse is needed to get them out. I have shown them that battling a 6lb Tench, using a top 4 of the pole with 3lb line can give you as big a buzz as catching a 20lb Carp on "overkill" tackle!

There's a variation in these under 40 year old fishermen, some started fishing in shorts with a float and some started in a bivie with a pile of cans.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Now, it suits a elderly old fella like me, to sit in a nice clean swim, under a nice big brolly with bite alarms, and a lake/pit, well stocked with lovely big fish.......heaven.

So, taking that with Lutra's comment about youngsters starting fishing with "a bivvie and a pile of cans"

It seems the title of the "other thread" that provoked this one was the wrong way round - it should have been "Is carp fishing just for kids and old men?" :D

I'm sorry to hear you are less mobile than you wish to be Den - but long may you fish for whatever you want. Each year I start the trout season in April with a long day tramping the streams of the High Weald, catching trout, enjoying the early spring ambience, and sometimes wondering how many more trout seasons I have to come. Leon expressed concern at his mobilty last year, but there on March 1st he was yomping up and down the Itchen under a big floppy hat - like one of those dancing mushrooms in "Fantasia". Keep fishing mate.

Apart from Gozzer's very good point of indiscriminate carp stocking stifling choice, and the "Oi - I've got a bait in there" mentality I have no problems with carp fishers - dealing with them is like dealing with Texans, Queenslanders and Yorkshiremen (gets out tin hat) - get your retaliation in first, for he who is not one up risks soon being one down :D .

For example, if asked "aren't you fishing for carp?" the correct answer is "Nah, they're boys' fish" ;)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond, I "did a bit of that" many years ago :) One day I was up "on top" and it poured with rain, and little trickles started to form. I followed one down the slope and watched it merge with other little trickles and gaining more volume. Further down it was a tiny brooklet about 6" wide, and beginning to make a slight noise and create a few bubbles :)

It finally tumbled down a steep bank into a rain formed gully and joined in with lots of other little trickles, and went tearing off, no doubt to help form one of the small streams that you still fish.

Fascinating to think of those few drops of rain ending up in the sea. I wonder how long it took?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic