Is there something in the air?

poledark

There are a couple of threads running at the moment...

Yep, one of those was mine!. Sorry, but it seems like I may have opened a can of worms (fnarr!) here...and I'm new to the forum.

I think I realise now from many comments, both from carp anglers, float anglers, fly and people who enjoy all aspects and methods of fishing that there has been a shift in the market which is causing a divide.

Because carp fishing or carp specimen fishing is all the rage now whereas as Budgie stated it used to be match fishing that dominated the lakes. Because of this if your not specifically looking to follow the trend you can get pushed to one side and regarded as inferioir by the ignorant few who are just following the trend.

Experienced anglers (and experienced people in general) know that fishing is just fishing. It shouldnt matter what your fishing for, how your doing it or when. Go and do it because its bloody great fun, relaxing and good for you.

Its the same sort of rivalry in football, rugby or any other sport you can name. Is Adidas better than Nike? Is Slazenger better than Dunlop? Is sitting in a bivvie more fun than maggot chucking?

Who gives a damn?! Just fish!

From now on if anyone gives me any stick over gnoming it with a float rod then I'll just present them a pitying smile and carry doing what I enjoy. Their the sad, ignorant simpletons who will refuse to try something different because its not fashionable.

I have tried carping it and, while its ok occasionally I feel I have more fun with my float road. But thats my choice.

As much as people have been having digs at the carpies and bivvie botherers I think its mostly a dig and those few who just buy the latest and greatest equipment and rush out there. They never bother to try anything else in case they too feel ridiculed.

I hope this makes sense?! :blink:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but what about if the trend continues and there's just one horse and one course? Isn't that the point?

I don't want to be pedantic Andrew, but I will anyway. :D

I think you mean there will still be many horses, but only one course.

That's one of the things I like about AN and the like. For many years I thought I was the only one who thought this way, and I was just a moaning old sod.

Now, I'm reassured to hear that others have similar thoughts.

But I know I'm still a moaning old sod, (I thought I'd say it before anyone else does). :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I was trying to imply one dominant species and one type of available fishery John, I think we're getting into murky metaphorical waters (must be overstocked :rolleyes: ).

I'm all for horses for courses because that imples choice, which is precisely what I think we're getting short of.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm all for horses for courses because that imples choice, which is precisely what I think we're getting short of.

Sorry Den, I think I'm quite guilty of tarring all carpers with the undesirable brush I had a long reply planned but much of what I'd have said has been said already!

I have to agree with Anderoo RE choice, the presence of carp has genuinely infringed the choice and availiabilty of of waters and species that I can fish for. Its quite tricky subject though, no carp= means few or no anglers which in turn means little money for upkeep and/or rent and can lead to the loss of a venue. Presence of carp will garuntee plenty of revenue etc however actually getting a swim can be difficult.

I think in part its selfishness on part the floppy hat brigade, that's me included! I want all those nice venues to myself, I want to be able to have my pick of swims and I want the ticket to cheap! Generally carp tend to take those things away from me so I sulk at carpers, but mostly because I'm being selfish.

Rich

Sorry Den, I think I'm quite guilty of tarring all carpers with the undesirable brush

Right! Capper's getting a dunking at Wingham in May!

Next?! :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I was trying to imply one dominant species and one type of available fishery John, I think we're getting into murky metaphorical waters (must be overstocked :rolleyes: ).

Aaah I see now. I was thinking in terms of many types of angler, but only one type of fishing available.

I don't know much about metaphorical waters, murky or not , but the wife must think I'm overstocked, she keeps telling me to go on a diet. :unsure:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

No problem I'll be able to swim out and find the carp for you Elton :P

Rich

Probably the only way I'd be able to locate one of the buggers!

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

You going on the carp lake again this year Elton or joining us real men on the Course Lake?

NB: Not a dig at carp anglers (Den!) Just Elton!

Yeah, yeah....pick on the little guy :D

Not sure yet - I'll speak to the Funky Burkester nearer the time and we'll sort it then. Trouble with the coarse lake is that it's further away from the barbecue ;)

Sorry to hijack the thread, Den, but maybe it's a good thing that some people have read it and seem to be thinking about what you said :)