Terminal 5 at Heathrow

Vagabond

From the Press Association

What was supposed to be a triumphant opening for business for Heathrow's new £4.3 billion Terminal 5 (T5) descended into travel chaos, with cancelled flights and long baggage-collection delays.

With staff apparently struggling to cope with the demands of the new building, British Airways had to cancel 34 flights in total. These included services to Munich, Frankfurt, Paris and Brussels as well as flights to Glasgow and Aberdeen.

Despite a much-trumpeted new sophisticated baggage system, some passengers had to wait more than two hours to collect their bags after flying into the new terminal.To add to the problems, computer difficulties also meant that there was a problem with bags on departing flights in the morning, with three flights leaving without luggage on board.

British Airways, which has exclusive use of the new terminal, said it had had

"a few minor problems"

A delayed flight is a "minor problem"

Leaving baggage behind is also a "minor problem"

(although perhaps not to the passengers affected)

A cancelled flight is surely a "Major Problem" (like the knock-on effect of the aircraft not being at the other end for the return flight.)

...and THIRTY FOUR cancelled flights suggests ineptitude of a major order.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I watched a programme about th building of T5 the other night. It went into great detail about how good the baggage system was, and how there was a COMPLETE back-up system if it should ever fail....

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

i think its because theres a runway missing ,with a third one installed i'm sure it would run fine ,now all they have to do is find a way of getting it installed without raising suspicion :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters - The one thing BAC is trying desperately to overlook is the fact that the ACA (which is THE Air Authority) has already said that there CANNOT be another runway as British airspace will not allow it - they say that any more aircraft would "seriously compromise safety" of aircraft landing and taking off.

BAC must not be allowed to "overlook" this fact!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Heathrow is not the first to have some minor startup issues.

More details at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_International_Airport but here are a few highlights.

In September 1989, under the leadership of Denver Mayor Federico Peña, federal officials authorized the outlay of the first $60 million for the construction of DIA. Two years later, Mayor Wellington Webb inherited the megaproject, scheduled to open on October 29, 1993.

Delays caused by poor planning and repeated design changes due to changing requirements from United Airlines caused Mayor Webb to push opening day back, first to December 1993, then to March 1994.

In April 1994, the city invited reporters to observe the first test of the new automated baggage system. Reporters were treated to scenes of clothing and other personal effects scattered beneath the system's tracks, while the actuators that moved luggage from belt to belt would often toss the luggage right off the system instead. The mayor cancelled the planned May 15 opening

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

But Is any one realy,Truely,in the slightest bit Amazed that It fell on its arse.

Im ashamed to say I wasnt :(

Being a British you get used to being Embarassed. Grandly on an international stage.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

But Is any one realy,Truely,in the slightest bit Amazed that It fell on its arse.

Im ashamed to say I wasnt :(

Being a British you get used to being Embarassed. Grandly on an international stage.

Yeah. Can't wait for the Olympics :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Heathrow is not the first to have some minor startup issues.

More details at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_International_Airport but here are a few highlights.

Yes, but at least the mayor of Denver applied common sense

The mayor cancelled the planned May 15 opening

By contrast, BA were in denial.

.....like the silly lie by the BA PR staff "we experienced a few minor problems"

Like a four-year-old with jam smeared over face and hands "I didn't eat the jam tarts Mummy"

They are promising it will be back to normal today - B) Yeh, like just 20% of the flights cancelled

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I heard on the Radio that a BA air stewardess was Jostled and abused as she crossed the Concourse of T5 she was reduced to tears, This was while the senior managment of BA & BAA where at a party slaping each other on the back over a job well done.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!