fishing in rivers

gareth1234

i've been invited out for a spot of fishing in a local river Sunday... now my understanding of fishing in the close season is that it's banned in all but canals or privates lakes etc. he wants to fish for "non-migratory trout" and says this is fine...? i 'm not sure, i've only been coarse fishing for a couple of months, so not entirely sure, is this a small loophole in the system? or am i being fed a tall one? would rather avoid the fine and possible confiscation of gear.

i've been invited out for a spot of fishing in a local river Sunday... now my understanding of fishing in the close season is that it's banned in all but canals or privates lakes etc. he wants to fish for "non-migratory trout" and says this is fine...? i 'm not sure, i've only been coarse fishing for a couple of months, so not entirely sure, is this a small loophole in the system? or am i being fed a tall one? would rather avoid the fine and possible confiscation of gear.

Sounds dubious to me. Assuming there are trout present, there will be specific rules for out of season trout fishing which you'd better check before going anywhere (baits allowed, hook sizes, methods, etc.). Also the dates might be out by a few days even if it is allowed. There are similar 'loophole' situations with eel fishing. Check first to be sure.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

cut and paste from EA website

Close season for non-migratory trout (rod and line)

(a) Rainbow Trout Close Season

There is no annual close season for fishing for rainbow trout by rod and line in all reservoirs, lakes and ponds. In other waters the close season will be determined by local byelaws - contact your local office for these (tel - 08708 506 506).

(B) Brown trout close season

A close season for brown trout applies to all waters, although dates vary according to local byelaws, which you can obtain from your local office (tel - 08708 506 506).

i'll check....

Sounds like this could finish up costing you money and a lot of heartache, I wouldn't think it worth the risk.

Respect the close season, if you are desperate, there are some lakes you can try.

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

don't use a float ,maggots or pellets or meat or corn ,check out your local bylaws

National and regional fisheries byelaws for anglersFollow the links below for regional and national fishing byelaws. The first link will take you to regional byelaws, while the rest apply nationally. (Full copies of these byelaws can be obtained by calling 0845 933 3111, or by contacting our National Customer Contact Centre on 08708 506 506.)

Regional fisheries byelaws

Fishing byelaws can change from place to place. Find fishing byelaws for your area in this section.

Coarse fish close season byelaw

A description of the national byelaw

Keepnets, keepsacks and landing nets

National byelaws for design, construction and use

Lead weights for fishing

Byelaw relating to use of lead weights by anglers National

Salmon byelaws

Byelaws introduced in 1999

Salmon and sea trout catch returns

Byelaw for anglers and netsmen

Close season for non-migratory trout

Rainbow trout and brown trout close season byelaws

Unattended rods byelaw

Be sure you are in control

The use of a gaff

National byelaw for England and Wales

Baits and live baits

The use of live baits and crayfish

National byelaw - number of rods

The number of rods that you can fish with

there that should help

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

It probably depends on local bye-laws and club rules but last time I checked the EA rules, you can fly fish or spin for trout and salmon legally in the coarse fishing closed season.

If you have a standard rod licence, that effectivly means that you can fish for native brownies but not salmon or sea trout.

You can also fish with a plain lead for eels but usually you can only use worm for bait and hook sizes may be restricted.

Any sort of float fishing or groundbaiting (feeder, loose feed etc) is totally illegal.

I do spin and fly fish in the closed season and I do catch the inevitable chub, perch and pike but I make sure that the swims that I fish are likely to hold trout and the lure or fly size is appropriate for targeting them. Clipping on a nice big lure to fish a slack or weedbed likely to hold pike is likely to get your collar felt.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

right..i rang the number i posted up in the earlier post, the very nice lady 'believes' that it is banned until 15th of june, local authorities tend to follow the national close season with regard to byelaws on non-migratory rainbow trout, obviously stillwaters is fine.

thanks for advice given.

I'm glad you asked that question, I've also spent too much time on private lakes and lost track of close season restrictions. I'm aware of the CS dates and I know that I can't coarse fish free rivers with maggots etc but can I fish the same rivers with my fly fishing gear?

Maybe the EA's website will help.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back