Silly Rule?

wellyphant

A bait straight out, a bait 50m to the left and a bait 50m to the right. Just how much water do you need to cover?

Any arguments about tangled lines are more than outweighed by the risks of gorge hooking and therefore killing fish due to poor tackle control.

If you are really, really concerned about deep hooking/ gorging then you would only ever use one rod. I would only ever use two and even then I have had a run on a second rod while playing a fish on the first, several times.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

As a river club poachers can not be prosecuted for stealing fish as they migrate between waters, The crime we have been advised to quote by the EA, to Police is 'theft of fishing rights', however getting the usual bobby to accept this is difficult, we have to go through their 'rural crime officer' which is difficult at the best of times and useless if he is not on shift.

Any owner/club can introduce rules where the production of a licence is needed to gain entry but why are these people introducing rules to help the government enforce nothing more than a tax?

Owning a licence doesnt prove you have passed a test or are proficient in angling so why insist you have it.and nothing will happen to the owner if someone is found lacking one (as far as i know ,if there is a punishment it makes sense to check)

I am often offered a licence to check whilst checking permits but i am not interested in seeing if they are up to date paying their fishing tax i am interested to see if they have paid their dues to the club.

If the gov want their tax enforced then get enforcers i wont be doing their dirty work for free.

Not had direct problems with furringers the few i have met have had whats required admittedly after using sign language what is needed ,IE unhooking mat was difficult "a bed for fish" one chap puzzedly aked in broken english but i gave him a note to a tackle shop and one was there next visit.

There has been clues foreingners have been visiting after dark we found a bag of polish labled bits and bobs hidden in a bush one morning along with a couple of tins on a long bit of line to act as warning if someone came along the path but not having unhooking mats and poaching are far more common in british anglers in my experience but we are hidden away not in some town heaving with them so the occurrencies are high enough to make the papers

Some chap called Luc has several videos on youtube taken at the pond and hes a very good angler as are some brits

Im very lucky its a tiny water just 40 pegs so i can get round in a few minutes ,a few seconds if its empty or longer if my daughters visiting (keeps an eye on the mrs) so a gossip here and there and perhaps a couple of hours leaving home to getting back ,half an hour in the winter if i rush.but the biggest and best bit is theres no carp ,so no bivvies half across the path and little crap on your boots if you stray off it ,it surprises me how pointless it was with me pleading for years to get a bog down there and still people are to lazy to walk 150 yards to use it! Hardly any litter either i have seen the bailiffs on the big waters take 2 black bin bags home ,i will get inna year a carrier bag if i am unlucky

Chesters - I don't think for even a second that this owner has taken on the job of working as any kind of Tax collector!!. He merely uses the NO LICENSE NO FISHING rule to discourage undesirable sorts at source.AND as a LAST RESORT.

I'd very much doubt even that he'd make any attempt to report anyone without a License - he just doesn't want any potentially unruly, rule breaking types on his property.

He only wants Anglers who just come to enjoy a nice days fishing - a Licence at least is surely a good start to indicate that intention!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Does the EA make any License concessions for people on benefits??

Genuine benefit claimants should (IMO) be able to acquire one for say £5.

A tin of sweetcorn + a dozen slices of bread + maybe 1/2 pint of maggots = a full days fishing. AND maybe a bit left over for another day!!

Yes I know that a tin of sweetcorn + a dozen slices of bread could be put to better use by many!!

There'll be very many out there with a river or pond nearby, but simply find the £27 License, prohibitive.

Some of which - for the love of the sport, are prepared to take a chance - Bless 'em!!

My Mam taught me a saying when a kid - "There, but for the grace of god - go I".

In the bigger picture, I've been one of the luckier ones & have always had a half decent income, Life hasn't dealt everyone the same hand!! :black_eye:

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

The blokes who are on my club waters midweek seem to be able to afford plenty of carp gear and boilies and two £70 club cards to fish four rods, I'm sure they can stretch to paying the same for a licence as everyone else.

Chesters - I don't think for even a second that this owner has taken on the job of working as any kind of Tax collector!!. He merely uses the NO LICENSE NO FISHING rule to discourage undesirable sorts at source.AND as a LAST RESORT.

I'd very much doubt even that he'd make any attempt to report anyone without a License - he just doesn't want any potentially unruly, rule breaking types on his property.

He only wants Anglers who just come to enjoy a nice days fishing - a Licence at least is surely a good start to indicate that intention!!

I have no problem with owners putting any rules you please but a licence only shows two things you have paid your money incase you get caught or because you have been caught.

It doesnt give any indication you treat fish wisely nor you fish for them correctly ,it cannot show if your customer wont pinch any he catches ,wont leave litter or crap in the bushes it merely shows they paid the government a tax.

Our club doesnt insist licences are shown on buying a permit and to do so would be very easy .

Its not like a car licence where some qualifying criteria has been passed and even then after you get it you can do what you will after all 99% of crashes involve someone most probably with this bit of paper.

Its pointless and should be got rid of we already pay tax on the equiptment why should we pay another to use it?

If an owner is frightened the wrong sort will come simply impose a £10,000 bond which is payable in advance but i am afraid those with the money to pay it are not garaunteed to not act up once a few bottles of champers are quaffed on the way down from the mansion. Lol

I have been asked twice in 50 years for my licence the second time i refused to show it because they presumed i was fishing not seeing me fishing ,i treat fish respectfully i fish for them safely ,i certainly dont pinch any from my clubs waters (get out clause there) i certainly dont drop litter nor crap in the bushes ,if i didnt buy a licence i am sure overnight i wouldn't do the opposite!

Perhaps to show some 'worth' in his customers a mandatory extra payment is extracted into a charity jar and the proceeds given to something that deserves it rather than the government ,he could give a little gold star to put on the day ticket on leaving showing they behaved lol after all if the yellow jacketed government tax inforcers get them it will cost them a black mark on their day

What does the owner think owning the licence will stop people doing? Club permits cost far more than a licence and the members get up to all sorts of shenanigans they realy shouldnt be doing thats where bailiffs come in

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The blokes who are on my club waters midweek seem to be able to afford plenty of carp gear and boilies and two £70 club cards to fish four rods, I'm sure they can stretch to paying the same for a licence as everyone else.

I spoke to an angler one day proffusely sweating after 3 trips carrying a vast amount of tackle to a distant swim ,i was more surprised he had a disabled permit .trouble is we dont know what the disablement is but if its a mental disabilty should he be driving to the pond after all that side of the benifits system is harder to prove you have a disabilty and more difficult to prove they have not ,he smiled so i guess it wasnt depression ,i rather felt depressed i couldnt lift all that gear nor have a car (for medical reasons) to get it there.

If ofcourse the rules were changed and we could see if it was a physical disability and fred bloggs obviously didnt have it perhaps a email to the dwp may thin out a few malingerers ? Cant see it happening though theres them 'uman rites' you know

And yes theres disabled concessions with the licence and within the club ,former is recieving DLA or PIP so the criteria is fairly high and a blue badge is fine enough proof in the club so i guess the mental side harder to prove to get one?

I get tackled now and again by anglers about one disabled angler in particular ,he keeps shouting the anglers say ,i tell them he isnt shouting his is a mental problem and the chap with him is his carer he just speaks loudly and is slow to grasp whats going on ,catches the odd fish (probably more by luck than skill) but if hes happy thats good enough for me ,he lives a care home a few miles away ,we get quite a few obviously genuine ones and one had a stunning female carer ,i spent a bit of time talking and admiring her cleavage as she passed bits and bobs to him lol

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

You're going on about exactly what I'm talking about in England, I believe our Barry wrote this for his beloved Angling Trust.

www.anglingtrust.net/core/core_picker/download.asp?id=4143

Now there's a piece of bureaucratic camel dung if ever I have read the here-to-fore mentioned subject

I would like to add my own suggestions to your conundrum.

When in doubt mumble, when in trouble delegate.

Be prepared to present your "selective" organizational charts. Usually done with your thumb on your cheek scratching your beard.

Lastly, are you SURE there isn't to much communication rather than to little?

Phone

All,

You're going on about exactly what I'm talking about in England, I believe our Barry wrote this for his beloved Angling Trust.

www.anglingtrust.net/core/core_picker/download.asp?id=4143

Now there's a piece of bureaucratic camel dung if ever I have read the here-to-fore mentioned subject

I would like to add my own suggestions to your conundrum.

When in doubt mumble, when in trouble delegate.

Be prepared to present your "selective" organizational charts. Usually done with your thumb on your cheek scratching your beard.

Lastly, are you SURE there isn't to much communication rather than to little?

Phone

Wash your mouth out with soap this great organisation speaks for all the anglers even when the vast majority dont want them to ,advises on things they have no business to and appear to weald power under the pretense they represent me (and the others ofcourse) have they got intouch telling me this? Never .have they asked my opinion on things they are supposed to make my angling life easier? Never ,have they helped me in my guise of bailiff? Never ,have they done anything i can see in my area? nothing all i have seen is a poster or two warning me i should buy a licence and get permission to fish on a river i already have permission to fish in and i dont even think they posted it so they have probably been here ,never!

I wouldnt trust the angling trust as far as i can throw the angling trust and you can take that on trust

As for the link its the usual ramblings of those with to much power and to little brain

Edited by chesters1