Putting manure / hay bales into lake

philocalist

With barely straw as an algae inhibitor its important that its on the surface for it to be effective. Dumping a whole bale in wont do much as most of it will be submerged. Put it in mesh tubes, like sausage casings if you imagine, and float them. We were thinking about it on a 102 acres i cant remember how many bales we calculated but it was a lot!

Lots of free tackle when you bring them in to refill aswell

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Philo,

Barley straw can be purchased in "bales" about the size of a 2 L soda bottle. But more importantly here is the FACTUAL scoop on barley straw. Cut and paste from Penn State University (an ag school)

How does it work?

Barley straw does not kill existing algae, but it inhibits the new growth of algae. The exact mechanism is poorly understood, but it seems that barley straw, when exposed to sunlight and in the presence of oxygen, produces a chemical that inhibits algae growth.

Barley straw does not reduce the growth of other aquatic plants. In fact, in some cases aquatic plant growth has increased after barley straw applications because algae are no longer present to compete with the aquatic plants.

When should it be applied?

Barley straw is most effective when applied early in the year prior to the appearance of algae (fall through early spring). When applied to cold water (less than 50°F), it may take six to eight weeks for the straw to begin producing the active chemicals that inhibit algae growth.

If the straw is applied to warmer water (above 70°F), it may become effective in as little as one to two weeks. In any case, barley straw remains effective for approximately six months after application.

How much straw?

The most common application is about two to three bales per surface acre of pond (or about 10 to 25 grams of straw per square meter of pond area). The depth of water in the pond is not important. In ponds that are frequently muddy or those that have a history of heavy algae growth, two or three times this recommended dose may be required for the initial treatment.

However, overdosing the pond with barley straw may cause fish kills because the straw deoxygenates the water as it decays. This is especially a problem if the pond is overdosed with straw during a prolonged warm spell.

How to apply the straw?

The straw is most effective when applied loosely in cages or netting. It is best to anchor the straw packages to the bottom, but provide a float to keep the straw near the surface of the pond where sunlight and oxygen are more prevalent.

Apply the straw at several locations around the pond and especially near the water source if a spring or stream feeds the pond. In small garden ponds, small nets or nylon stockings can be used to hold the small amounts of straw needed.

Where can I get barley straw?

Finding a local supplier of barley straw can sometimes be difficult. You might consult with private and government agencies that work with local farmers, such as farm supply companies, extension offices, and Conservation District offices, to determine if barley straw is locally available.

Thanks for the info so far - I've pretty much got my head around the uses of manure and / or barley straw, though for the intended purpose it looks as though Siltex would be better suited, though much more expensive - its a smallish lake of around 3 acres, but best prices / advice indicate it will cost neck-end of £1000 to treat ther lake in the first year alone - a bit more than the manure option, which is available free locally as we seem to be surrounded by riding schools :-)

The biggest single issue now is the question of legality - I can't actually find anything to indicate the practice might be illegal (though widespread) - but someone with a very loud voice is convinced that it is, and I'd very much like to prove them wrong if possible.

Try Google. Lots of information there about Siltex. A quick glance looks as if it is harmless and well used

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Philo,

Here ya' go. The rules from the EA

http://www.therrc.co.uk/MOT/References/EA_Fisheries_habitat_improvement.pdf

Phone

Thanks for that phone, bookmarked for future reference.

I was a little disappointed to see that there was only a couple of lines relating to overstocking, and the effect it has on water habitat. Many waters could be drastically improved by reducing stock levels, and thus, greatly reduce costs on treatment, aeration, and artificial feeding. I doubt the 'customers' would be happy though B)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John