Visible float

The Flying Tench

On 8/23/2021 at 8:34 PM, The Flying Tench said:

I've delayed responding to this till I've been out for a couple of outings, and I certainly see the point in what you are saying, Dave. Is there any reason you don't mention orange, the commonest colour for shop bought floats? 

My problem today will be hard to solve, I suspect. I was trying to trot a Thames weir stream, and the reflections from the trees around my float were a mixture of dark green, light green, yellow, bright, dark - with lots of ripple in the water as well. The effect was like camouflage, I lost my float completely in it all. Any views, anyone? I gave up and moved to another swim. 

Orange was included in my mutatis mutandi group- I thought I had given enough examples for people to work things out for themselves, However, if you want a specific case, I used to use orange floats when fishing down the light for bass (ie a bright clear day, fishing in blue / blue-green water with the sun behind me)

By contrast, fishing up the light, with the sun glinting off the sea, I would choose a black float - which brings us back to your Thames weir stream and Tigger's sound advice.

Light direction and background colour are important, not only in the angler/float relationship, but in the fish/angler/fly (or lure) relationships also.     

Of course, if for a given situation you have not got the recommended float to hand, you choose the next best. As a desperate last resort, ANY  float !   When I was a kid all my floats were twigs - should please the camouflage lobby.

If you want to pursue light direction in angling. Read Halford on the dry fly. Skues, Ollie Kite, Frank Sawyer on nymphs and "Sunshine and rhe Dry fly" by Dunne = there's your winter reading list sorted !

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought myself a Drake Alloy Domed Stick because of it's high visibility. On reflection, at 2gms it's maybe a bit heavier than I'll use, but it occurs to me they go up to nearly 5gms! I can't imagine what kind of fishing would need such a weight. What weight do you folks find you need? Tigger, I know you fish some fast flowing bits. I'm not talking about the style of float (I know sticks are not your favourite), I'm trying to get into my head the depth and speed of water which might need such a float.

john clarke

Hi Tench, I think you'll find these much more visible than the Drake Alloy ones??

I have some other, Dave Harrell Alloy Sticks as below (but not domed) & they are very, very good, Superb Quality!!

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwimvaPr7O3yAhWCtO0KHW4iDF8YABAHGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD20eNAzHcS5vqi0jJc7rRaoBhQvfpP0BvN-UZh_ZHBA2GxESv4r4vypCCBUnBDTGpjYq4wqu_RG1KcnKPvl4Zz&sig=AOD64_2_4kqwOogjjHHL6MAOxbDyRLky9w&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjn2Jvr7O3yAhUmQEEAHUirDNEQ9aACegQIARBE&adurl=

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Im afraid floats are what suits your venue,the river where tigger fishes suits the bolo well,the small river I fish it would not,short 3/4 no.4 stick floats are best,unless there is water on then floats like short Avons or chubbers,on the Thames stick floats dont often suit,bolo floats with plenty of bristle out can work,but waggler is the more obvious choice,in summer insert wagglers(no need to dot them down,at least 1/2"),in winter straight wagglers in normal flows,obviously bigger double rubber floats or bolos in the pace,that said the fishing becomes much harder when the middle Thames gets its pushy winter head on,lol...Maybe,one day we could meet on the Sutton Courtney water,trouble is I would need a day ticket as im no longer a member which means a very late start waiting for a tackle shop to open...

Edited by Whitty
Addition

13 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

I've just bought myself a Drake Alloy Domed Stick because of it's high visibility. On reflection, at 2gms it's maybe a bit heavier than I'll use, but it occurs to me they go up to nearly 5gms! I can't imagine what kind of fishing would need such a weight. What weight do you folks find you need? Tigger, I know you fish some fast flowing bits. I'm not talking about the style of float (I know sticks are not your favourite), I'm trying to get into my head the depth and speed of water which might need such a float.

The depth of water doesn't always determine the size of float I use John.  I often use a 6 grm wire stemmed bolo in 2ft of water.  You need the body size to be bouyant enough to stay upright when holding back and the weight to get the bait down to the deck.

Even on relatively small smooth flowing rivers fishing in 2ft of water i'll use a 3grm wire or carbon stemmed bolo float.  Sometimes i'll use a 2grm float but prefer a heavier one for the biggest part.  

Even fishing at cloe range the longer sight tip of the float is much easier to see.  Also, the longer sight tip allows you to read a bite, and know when to strike. You can see if smaller fish are messing with your bait etc where as a dome topped float would just go under causing you to strike. Very often you know a fish has bait in it's mouth by the way the float is travelling and by the amount of tip showing.  These things arn't as easy to see with a dome topped float.

Another reason for the larger float and longer tip is if the bait is dragging bottom and it catches slightly it doesn't just go under as a dome topped float would.  You have more time/chance to see it's a false bite.

So, personally I always try to use as heavy a float as is possible in most scenarios, regardless of depth.  One other reason for a heavier float is that if your fishing across the flow and hold back a lighter float will just kite off line, usually coming in to the bank.  Even mending the line will cause that to happen if using lighter floats.

I know Alan fishes some very narrow rivers these days and he has tailored his fishing to suite them.  If I was to fish them I might use similar equiptment, but then again I might use something that is slightly different.

I know manufacturers have floats marked as being ideal for certain depths of water etc.  Personally, I ignore those recommendations as they are just generic ideas.  Obviously they want you to buy a full range of sizes in each style of float to maximise their profits, when in reality you only need a couple.

• Like 2

Thanks Tigger

31 minutes ago, Tigger said:

The depth of water doesn't always determine the size of float I use John.  I often use a 6 grm wire stemmed bolo in 2ft of water.  You need the body size to be bouyant enough to stay upright when holding back and the weight to get the bait down to the deck.

Even on relatively small smooth flowing rivers fishing in 2ft of water i'll use a 3grm wire or carbon stemmed bolo float.  Sometimes i'll use a 2grm float but prefer a heavier one for the biggest part.  

Even fishing at cloe range the longer sight tip of the float is much easier to see.  Also, the longer sight tip allows you to read a bite, and know when to strike. You can see if smaller fish are messing with your bait etc where as a dome topped float would just go under causing you to strike. Very often you know a fish has bait in it's mouth by the way the float is travelling and by the amount of tip showing.  These things arn't as easy to see with a dome topped float.

Another reason for the larger float and longer tip is if the bait is dragging bottom and it catches slightly it doesn't just go under as a dome topped float would.  You have more time/chance to see it's a false bite.

So, personally I always try to use as heavy a float as is possible in most scenarios, regardless of depth.  One other reason for a heavier float is that if your fishing across the flow and hold back a lighter float will just kite off line, usually coming in to the bank.  Even mending the line will cause that to happen if using lighter floats.

I know Alan fishes some very narrow rivers these days and he has tailored his fishing to suite them.  If I was to fish them I might use similar equiptment, but then again I might use something that is slightly different.

I know manufacturers have floats marked as being ideal for certain depths of water etc.  Personally, I ignore those recommendations as they are just generic ideas.  Obviously they want you to buy a full range of sizes in each style of float to maximise their profits, when in reality you only need a couple.

Thanks, Tigger, sounds like I need to try heavier floats!

• Like 1

john clarke

33 minutes ago, The Flying Tench said:

Thanks Tigger

Thanks, Tigger, sounds like I need to try heavier floats!

Thats just my take on it John, but you have to go with what you find best.

You can get bolos in 2 grm, so you have a light float with a good long sight tip rather than a dome topped stick float which can be difficult to see and imo gives very little to read even if you undershot it and have some body showing.