Fine wire eyed hooks

The Flying Tench

When you say that your eyesight and dexterity no longer allow you to tie spade end hooks; do you mean by hand, or using a hook tier or both?

I can still tie spade ends using a matchman hook tier but my eyesight and dexterity doesn’t allow me to tie spades by hand.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I used to tie them using an old hook tier I had, but it wasn't a Matchman. Maybe I should get one and have a go? Do you do it at home or on the bank?

The Drennan Sweetcorn range provide a reasonably fine barbless eyed hook. I can't understand why it's so hard to get similar barbed ones. Maybe I'll hear from someone that there is something out there.

john clarke

12 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

I used to tie them using an old hook tier I had, but it wasn't a Matchman. Maybe I should get one and have a go? Do you do it at home or on the bank?

The Drennan Sweetcorn range provide a reasonably fine barbless eyed hook. I can't understand why it's so hard to get similar barbed ones. Maybe I'll hear from someone that there is something out there.

Just a heads up, tying hooks is much earier in broad daylight than in the house with electric lights.  It makes a huge difference to me.  Might be worth you trying it outside in the garden just to see if that helps you see fiddly things better.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:04 PM, The Flying Tench said:

I tie my spade end hooks using the Matchman hook tier both at home and when I need to tie a hook on the bankside after setting up using the bend in my rod to keep a little tension on the line while I’m tying the new hook on.

As long as the line is tensioned slightly as you tie your hook, and the turns of line around the hook shank are not overlapping, and you wet your line around your hook shank before you tighten the line up then everything should be fine.

You don’t need much dexterity to use a Matchman hook tier as long as you are careful.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

16 hours ago, wotnobivvy said:

Plan B: have you considered pre tied hooks to nylon

Thanks WNB, I use them up to size 14 or 16, but the bigger sizes seem to be geared to carp with line strength of around 8lb, unsuitable for roach. Let me know if I've missed any

john clarke

20 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

Thanks WNB, I use them up to size 14 or 16, but the bigger sizes seem to be geared to carp with line strength of around 8lb, unsuitable for roach. Let me know if I've missed any

I've sent Korum an email re the plight of us wrinklies.

I'm assured someone from there will reply soon!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

21 minutes ago, wotnobivvy said:

If you Google 'hooks to nylon' there is quite a selection of small ones to be had

Yes WNB, but F Tench is after size 8, 10 &12 for Flake to say 2.5 or 3Lb Mono'.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!