Hugh Stoker Books

RobT

Hi,

I wonder if any of you with a little more knowledge of searching the web than my basic Googling can help me find a list of angling writer Hugh Stoker's published books.

My dad has a fair few but a friend has just mentioned a title that I can find no reference to. It's called 'Inshore Dinghy Fishing' or so he says. Would love to get a copy if it was ever written.

Thanks in advance

Rob

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Manual of Sea Fishing Baits and Sea Angling with the Specimen Hunters both by Hugh Stoker funny enough I am revisting the later at this moment. Amazon still sell these second hand for less than a fiver.Good luck with your search.

[ 19. April 2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Tony Coley ]

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Do you use eBay.

Set Hugh Stoker as a favourite search and it will notify you by email everytime a hit is made.

Two on at the moment.

Sea Fishing in Kent

Complete Guide to Sea Fishing

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Hi RobT

Perhaps your friend was thinking of this publication:

WOOD, E.J.F. Inshore Dinghy Fishing

London, Hamlyn, 1970. First Edition. Pbk, Sm 4to, Good reading copy/No Jacket (as issued), Covers scuffed; contents vg; 80p, illus (some col).

GBP 3.00 = appr. US$ 4.00

Offered by: Alba Books - Book number: 34383

See more books from our catalog

As found at this site:

http://www.antiqbook.co.uk/boox/alb/34383.shtml

Happy Hunting.

Tony Coley:

I have Manual of Sea Fishing Baits and Sea Angling with the Specimen Hunters both by Hugh Stoker

Other titles by Hugh Stoker

1. Sea Fishing in South Devon

2. Ditto - Cornwall

3. Ditto - Hampshire and the IOW

4. Ditto - Dorset

5. Ditto - North Devon and Somerset

6. Ditto - Sussex

7. Ditto Kent

8. A Complete Guide to Sea Fishing.

9. The Modern Sea Angler

10. The Seaside Pocket Companion.

11. Fishing for Bass with Bill and Bob(Illustrated by Arnold Wiles)

This last is in the "Mr Crabtree and Peter / Mr Cherry and Jim" style - also has short pieces on flounder and on black bream.

Vintage stuff - many of the marks recommended by Hugh are now fished out, but some still score.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I had a copy, and I know who I lent it to. Its very dated and also very basic, but OK if you are just starting out (as the person I lent it to was). I think it was written before most the the fishing methods we now use were invented so its only of historical interest really. Same as the Sea Fishing regional guides - rather depressing when he points to places where he says you can easily bag 50 plaice a session.....(in 1972)

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Morning all,

Many thanks for your help. I love old sea fishing books, I spent what seemed like hundreds of hours staring at pictures of Clive Gammon, Trevor Housby and Co. as a nipper...in fact I still do today...!

Salar,

Are you refering to 'Inshore Dinghy Fishing' as found by Bill (above) or was yours by Hugh Stoker...?

Cheers

Rob

P.S..I've asked all around about the supposed I.O.W Tuna, I think that was a little far fetched but my fingers are still crossed anyway...however the Herring story is certainly true.

I noticed masses of bait appear over the last week whilst off wrecking. I had an inshore trip Sunday and mentioned it to the crew who like me had never caught Herring, they all wanted to have a try too so out came the Sabiki rigs and tiny pirks. On the way home from a very successful days Congering we tried from 6 miles off the Needles and as close a a mile and caught herring every time we stopped. Scaled, Spilt, Floured and Fried served on toast with a little mustard they are bloody lovely...

Hi Rob, I've got all the Hugh Stoker books except for one called The Seaside Pocket Companion, as I collect Sea Angling books, and as far as I know, there aint one called Inshore Dingy Fishing,wtitten by him anyway, But, if there is, I want a copy.... :D Like you I love old Fishing books, and have mibbes 300 sea angling ones in my collection. :D See you in June mate.... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

It appears that there are a number of "vintage" anglers out there who enjoy reminiscing "the good old days" through the writings of the popular angling authors of their time.

If it is of any interest, I have a couple of publications gathering dust on my bookcase that may bring further enjoyment to someone else.

They are:

First Run Shark (The complete guide to porbeagle fishing) by Mike Thrussell - 1990

Sea Fishing Baits (How to find and use them)by Alan Young - first published 1957

Shark Fishing in British waters (Pan Anglers Library Paper Back) by Trevor Housby - 1973

Sea Angling Supreme by Mike Millman - 1979

The Natural History of Sharks by Thomas H. Lineweaver III and Richard H. Backus - 1984

Dream Fishing (The worlds greatest waters) by Trevor Housby - 1986

Stillwater Trout Fly-Fishers Ready Reference by Peter Lightfoot & Kevin Whay - 1985

Angling Times Yearbook 1980-81 by Peter Maskell

The Osprey Anglers, Skates and Rays by Des Brennan (Edited by Clive Gammon) - 1974 - paperback with colour plates.

The Osprey Anglers, Tope by Clive Gammon (Edited by Clive Gammon) - 1975 - paperback with colour plates.

The Osprey Anglers, Sharks by Kevin Linnane (edited by Clive Gammon)- 1974 - paperback with colour plates.

P.M. me if any are of interest to any individuals.

I would prefer if they went to more than one home, although it may be prudent to keep the 3 Osprey Anglers together.