Hugh Stoker Books

RobT

quote:

He might even be a poster under another name!

Must be some age now! [/QB]

Spasor, or Chesters 1 mibbes !! :D !! Or even Spring !!!! :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it funny how things appear......

I lost a mate a fortnight ago he was a real lover of the sea and angling.

Sadly he didn't leave his wife with an awful lot more than junk for a car boot sale. I agreed to go around and sort the stuff out for her to see if anything is any good and there are a few nice bits that I will put up on eBay or on the for sale items here first I think.

However a little book caught my eye.........

The Arrow Seaside Companion Hugh Stoker.

Posted Image

As you can see it is a bit rugged around the edges but the spine is OK and all pages are attached.

Best offer secures if anybody is interested as contribution towards his burial

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

• 4 years later...

I've noticed a few people visiting this thread in search of Hugh Stoker books on Ebay today. Please http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19...d=824&kw=lg to see the current books for sale.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

These are all available at: http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchRe...&prevpage=5

The Arrow Seaside Companion

Fishing with the Experts

West Dorset Walks

South Dorset Walks

The Dumpy Pocket Book for Anglers

Modern Sea Angler

The modern sea angler

A Manual of Sea Fishing Baits

Sea Fishing in South Devon

Complete Guide to Sea Fishing

Sea Fishing in Dorset

Sea Fishing in Kent

Sea Angling with the Specimen Hunters

FISHING An Illustrated Introduction to the Art of Catching Fish

Sea Angling Hotspots.

Sea Fishing in Sussex

Seaside Pocket Companion, the

Sea Fishing in Cornwall

The Marshall Cavendish Fisherman's Handbook Part 53 to 78.

Fisherman's Handbook

Fishing for Bass with Bill and Bob: An Angling Times Book Series [1]

Spinning and Trolling for Sea Fish

SEA FISHING IN CORNWALL (ANGLING TIMES S)

SEA FISHING IN NORTH DEVON AND SOMERSET

FISHING FOR BASS WITH BILL AND BOB: WITH ADDITIONAL EXCURSIONS FOR FLOUNDERS AND BLACK BREAM ('ANGLING TIMES' PUBLICATIONS)

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

If I ever get it back I'll check but I am almost certain sure it was not by Hugh Stoker.

Could it have been Inshore Sport Fishing by Alan Wrangles?

Inshoresportfishing.jpg

I'm a big fan of Hugh Stoker's writings and was very pleased to bump into him one evening some 15 years ago on his local beach near Charmouth. He was spinning for mackerel, just like a page out of one of his books, which I avidly devoured as a teenager.

A charming gentleman angler.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steve pitts

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite was always Anthony Pearsons book on shore fishing. After an obigatory few pages on tackle and baits, the bulk of the book was mainly anecdotes of his fishing trips for bass and cod around the British and Irish coasts. Must have read it twenty times! It comes across as a bit of a Hemmingway rip-off but it was great at the time.

It appears that there are a number of "vintage" anglers out there who enjoy reminiscing "the good old days" through the writings of the popular angling authors of their time.

If it is of any interest, I have a couple of publications gathering dust on my bookcase that may bring further enjoyment to someone else.

They are:

First Run Shark (The complete guide to porbeagle fishing) by Mike Thrussell - 1990

Sea Fishing Baits (How to find and use them)by Alan Young - first published 1957

Shark Fishing in British waters (Pan Anglers Library Paper Back) by Trevor Housby - 1973

Sea Angling Supreme by Mike Millman - 1979

The Natural History of Sharks by Thomas H. Lineweaver III and Richard H. Backus - 1984

Dream Fishing (The worlds greatest waters) by Trevor Housby - 1986

Stillwater Trout Fly-Fishers Ready Reference by Peter Lightfoot & Kevin Whay - 1985

Angling Times Yearbook 1980-81 by Peter Maskell

The Osprey Anglers, Skates and Rays by Des Brennan (Edited by Clive Gammon) - 1974 - paperback with colour plates.

The Osprey Anglers, Tope by Clive Gammon (Edited by Clive Gammon) - 1975 - paperback with colour plates.

The Osprey Anglers, Sharks by Kevin Linnane (edited by Clive Gammon)- 1974 - paperback with colour plates.

P.M. me if any are of interest to any individuals.

I would prefer if they went to more than one home, although it may be prudent to keep the 3 Osprey Anglers together.

• 3 months later...

got a inshore boat fishing by tony whieldon .the series is similar to osprey books in colour.

the only other stoker i have (as far as i know) is the sea fishing in kent one

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson