Mullet watch 2005

Guest sslatter

Leon Roskilly:

I remember netting Phil the Fish's first mullet at Rochester, during a horrendous shower!

That was fun!

Think we were wetter than the fish by the time it was landed :D

But I remember at the time (when we met up before the start in the Staples carpark) having some worries as to the splashing effect of rain drop impact, and if that would spook the fish - which obviously it didn't ( as you correctly told me at the time) -- but it did make trying to watch the float for tentative bites just that little bit more interesting!!!!

Phil

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've caught them in sunny flat calms, on cloudy choppy days, in weather so windy that I had salt spray on my glasses, in showers, and in steady (not heavy) rain. In the last case I've trophy-pics spoiled a tad by raindrops on the camera lens. I've come to the conclusion that while weather conditions affect the efficiency of bait presentation (particularly an awkward wind when float fishing), the weather doesn't necessarily affect a mullet's willingness to feed. Given my "druthers", I'd "druther" have a sunny, gentle breeze day than any other - they are pleasant conditions in which to fish and it's easy to fish efficiently - but I've learned that there's probably no such thing as a truly hopeless day from the weather/catching viewpoint. The only hopeless conditions are when the damn things aren't there - and that's a situation we encounter all too often in our Medway locations!

WeymouthSean:

I am using 8lb Tri line with 8lb vantage fluo which surely should be enough.

I think one of the 13ft 'power'match rods designed for use on waters stocked with small carp would be perfect. I used to use a 13ft DAM match rod with 6 inches snapped off the tip with floating crust and 8lb line for carp to 14lb in 'tree swims' without any problems. If you ledger then the daiwa 'porky pig' range is supposed to be excellent. Longer rods are better as you never run out of bend, and the action is inherently softer than a shorter rod, cushioning the line better.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Too right Dave.

I'll show you how it's done the general luck from the Youngster way.

Went down to Sun Pier once again today to find myself another 3lb mullet, maybe the same one from Friday.

Phil lost a decent fish that snapped his 5lb line.

Matt

Hia's All