Barton Court Fish-in 13th March

Chris Plumb

A big thank you to Chris Plumb for organising a great day out. And, although I didn’t get to speak to everyone as I threw myself into my fishing at a fabulous venue, those I did meet were extremely welcoming.

I’m afraid I was either fashionably late or just plain lazy this morning. The thought of travelling by tube across London with my fishing gear during rush hour, along with cheaper ticket prices after 9.30 meant a late train and the rather tardy arrival time of 11.30.

It was a bit surreal at first, wandering around saying hello to the other participants. What seemed like a good idea at the time when I joined Anglers Net– to label myself Tiddler Tamer, a self deprecating name reflecting my normal stamp of fish – was a bit strange when used to introduce myself in person.

There I was a six foot four bloke in black army fatigues, who during the week has an enjoyable but at times high pressured job, wandering around saying “Hi, I’m Tiddler Tamer.” All rather odd…

Not helped by my waterproof trousers slowly shredding as the day wore on. What had started as a small tear earlier in the week after losing an argument with a barbed wire fence on the Suffolk Stour became a jagged rip starting just under the waistband and stretching down to a point just above my ankle. So no points there for sartorial elegance…

The venue itself is special though. I believe it is the next beat upstream from the ‘Wilderness’ stretch of the Kennett where the winter episode of A Passion for Angling was filmed. So hopefully Bartons Court would throw up similar offerings – large grayling, roach and pike…

I started off at the bottom upstream end of the fishery on what I believe is known as the Yellow or Willow Stream. Third or fourth trot down, a trout just under 2lb took the bait, putting up a great fight. Not the species of fish I was hoping for but, after blanking elsewhere on the majority of occasions in January and February, not unwelcome. Followed fairly quickly by another trout, which somehow managed to throw the hook but inches from the net.

I moved on in search of other species. Three or four other swims followed but nothing stirred.

A switch to the Middle Cut paid off. A grayling! Not the nearly three quarters of a pound that I claimed to Steve Walker. (Sorry, a fisherman’s tale!) I failed to balance my digital scales and later reading showed my new weighing sling reading at least a few ounces when wet, but a good half pounder and a plucky fighter nonetheless.

And then… more trout… three in all but one fought like stink, hurling itself spectacularly out of the river. The biggest over two and a half pounds.

And then my fixed spool reel started to misbehave. A minor fault at first. I struck, I hooked but also got the line caught behind the bail arm. Lost fish.

Then I struck, I hooked but this time, it wasn’t a minor fault – turning the handle failed to engage the bale arm. Lost fish. One retired reel too. My reserve reel came out and I pledged to switch to a centrepin next season.

A change of tactics saw me switch from maggot to lob worm and a search for perch…

Twilight arrived and the fish stirred but nothing took my bait.

I wandered up to the fishing hut to say my goodbyes.

I couldn’t resist a last cast or two. Andrew (Anderoo) wandered up after a last minute bit of piking had come to nothing. We chatted about our respective days and I shared the news that with family business to see to on the 14th, this would be my last cast of the season.

Twilight had now turned nearly to darkness. I managed to undo the tangle in my line and send the float down the river on my last cast of the season. We both watched its progress as it bobbed down the river… into shade and darkness… on a whim I struck as the float disappeared….but sadly it had disappeared into shadows rather than below the surface and no fish had become my prize.

I took the tackle out of the water and cut the line as I started to pack my fishing gear away. It can only have been five seconds, perhaps ten, but a large fish then rolled on the surface where my float would have been had I had one more trot down the river. Andrew pointed out, and we laughed, that it might well have been the 2lb roach of my dreams…

But it won’t be this season that sees me fulfil that dream. Next season though?

Tiddletamer i guessed it was you due to the giveaway bandana good to meet you yesterday,Did wonder about the rip in the waterproofs but thought it was part of the bandana look you had going on :D;) ,glad you had a good day Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rabbit

Sounds like a Grand Day Out and some very good accounts that evoke some very pleasant memories with my visit a couple of years ago with Flying Tench. The big roach then didn't really move far from the road bridge swim, and to be able to observe them from the bridge made it more frustrating. However the trout were always up for a bit of fun and the dace as big as chub too.

Hope one day to go back, you have all whetted my appetite...thanks :D

I'd just to add my name to the list of thanks to Chris Plumb. Barton Court is a special place and, although no fish set the world alight that day, it was great to be there. I had a mixture of fish, including loads of scrappy trout, perch, one dace, minnows and gudgeon (I was convinced I'd caught a monster minnow, until Chris put me right!). I saw two water voles, witnessed my mate get a cracking bite and land a crayfish and had a last-cast heart-attack when some monster tried to grab my float on the way in!

It was also nice to see faces, old and new.

Tight lines!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Carrying on from my earlier posting, did anybody, mainly those who spent some time legering lobworms catch any crayfish ? They were unusually very conspicuous due to their absence last tuesday.

Fishing the X bridge swim, I suddenly noticed a large signal out on the bank, threatening me with its claws!

A short while later my lob-baited float sank and stayed down, and a second smaller signal joined the first on the bank.

(I was later to accidentally step on the one I had caught after it had moved, relieving me of my dilema as to whether to kill it to stay legal or not!).

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The one 3DoorsDown caught was on worm. I killed it for him.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

I was later to accidentally step on the one I had caught after it had moved, relieving me of my dilema as to whether to kill it to stay legal or not!

The one 3DoorsDown caught was on worm. I killed it for him.

Take them home in a bucket of water, let them flush themselves out (changing the water a couple of times) for 24 hours and then boil them for about 15-20 minutes. They have a delicately aromatic flavour and are absolutely delicious! :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

My understanding is that it is illegal to remove them, Worms. You could probably cook them bankside.

My understanding is that it is illegal to remove them, Worms. You could probably cook them bankside.

No, there has been quite a lot of mythology on the subject of signal crayfish. It is not illegal to catch them with rod and line. However if you use a 'fixed engine' (a net) then a licence is required. Recently the laws on 'keeping' signals has been relaxed as well so you are allowed to put them in a bucket to let them flush as long as you are in any areas of established populations.Click here for the licence details and here for a coloured map!.

It is an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 plus amendments to introduce them to a water or to let one escape. One could construe from this that you must not put them back.

Some of this is based on old law such as:

"3. LEGISLATION – FISHERIES

3.1 In the case of Caygill v Thwaite (1885) a court ruled that crayfish were “fish”

in the absence of any indication to the contrary. As a result of this ruling any

statute making it unlawful to take fish applies equally to crayfish as well as to

other fish species.

3.2 The definition of “freshwater fish” within the Salmon and Freshwater

Fisheries Act (1975) states “freshwater fish means any fish living in

freshwater exclusive of salmon and trout and of any kinds of fish which

migrate to and from tidal waters and of eels”. This clearly does not exclude

crayfish, which in light of the 1885 ruling must therefore be classed as fish and

fall within the provisions of the 1975 Act.

3.3 With certain exceptions (applicable only to salmon and sea trout in certain

locations) Section 6 of the 1975 Act makes the placing of a fixed engine an

offence unless authorised through byelaw. A fixed engine is defined as “any

net secured by anchors or any other implement for taking fish fixed to the

soil or made stationary in any other way.” Which will include all traps set

for the purpose of taking crayfish."

As they are 'fish' as long as you have a valid rod licence, wahey!! cheap lobster dinners all round!

A further quote from the EA website;

"because the traps and fyke nets commonly used to catch crayfish are "Fixed Engines" as defined by the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act (1975); unless authorised by byelaws, the use of these instruments to catch crayfish is an offence under Section 6 of SAFFA (1975). Therefore, while fishing for crayfish is legal, unless crayfish traps are authorised by byelaws, their use is illegal, even where they are used within a site registered as a fish farm."

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

did anybody, mainly those who spent some time legering lobworms catch any crayfish ?

I had 3 crayfish (2 banked - the other fell off as I swung it in) all on float fished lobs.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Mike sorry to hear about your motor mate hope you get something sorted soon ,saw a Water Rail as well whilst there today.

Pike didnt want my Pike flys/lures/sardines and spent to long being frustrated by them really instead of seeking out some slacker water after Perch Steve.

The car has been recovered, but I don't know what state it is in. Honestly, you buy and old banger and what happens? Bloody Ford's are too easy too steal.

You spotted a water rail last time as well didn't you - handsome bird. I imagine that it will be off to the South coast soon, it might breed at Barton Court, but I would have thought it unlikely - it might be more likely to migrate down to breed at Thatcham reedbeds. Have the stonechats gone as well?

I'm surprised that the pike didn't make an appearance. Did the trout have a go at any of the pike flies?

If I get time I am going to walk down to the Kennet later to try out my new centrepin (yes another) - and rod - a JW Young Specimen float. My local bit is full of shoppeing trolleys, but there is a bit of fast water I can try with bread.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."