Barton Court Fish-in 13th March

Chris Plumb

Just spoken to BC - angling has been a little patchy today and yesterday - with perch, pike and a few nice dace being the main species showing..... Confirmed we can fish from first to last light and that not to worry if a car goes by without paying as I'd be paying for the whole day.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just spoken to BC - angling has been a little patchy today and yesterday - with perch, pike and a few nice dace being the main species showing..... Confirmed we can fish from first to last light and that not to worry if a car goes by without paying as I'd be paying for the whole day.

C.

Yipee fish from first light :yahoo: ,Wonder how Flying tench got on today :g: ,Thinned the tackle down to float rod & pin ,Fly rod for Pike,Lure rod,Avon rod,3lb test Pike rod,Kitchen sink,Taps :bangin: .

Might need to rethink the above list Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Just spoken to BC - angling has been a little patchy today and yesterday - with perch, pike and a few nice dace being the main species showing..... C.

Well that may be what happened at the weekend, but certainly not today. It was pretty slow, not helped by a strong cold wind.

I got there 12 noon. The sun had been bright all morning, but there was a bit of cloud coming over. The water was clearish, but there was a tinge of colour. I can't do trotting, spinning etc for too long as the back starts to ache, so I started fishing maggot feeder in the small weirpool near the car park where Rabbit and I had plenty of dace when I was last there, but not a touch. Then an angler who I guess had been there a few hours came by and said he had been trying for roach and dace, but had had nothing. Hmm, didn't sound too good, so I decided I must try for the easiest option which I thought would be the trout and grayling, particularly in the faster water. So I rigged up a float rod and 2.5SSG chubber. Actually I was christening my new AN Pin, which I had saved for a 'time such as this'. Second cast in the Park Stream right by the car park and I was into a lovely but bloodthirsty 2lb trout. It is the first time I have been bitten by a trout! Hands bleed easily in the cold I guess! But that was it. I moved around in the upstream end of the fishery, but had nothing more.

I then spent an hour wobbling for pike, and just had a small jack at the swim where the rivers meet. Actually it got off. Then I tried a bit more ledgering, both with maggot and lobworm, but with no success. Finished 6pm.

There were 8 other anglers there and they all thought it had been a hard day, but some did better than me! One guy got 12 trout on the middle cut. Mostly they just had trout. One guy had some small dace and a few grayling, none over a pound. A couple of bream came out and a perch - though I'm not aware anyone was targeting perch, and if they had I can see things might have been different.

Looking back I can see there are some things I could have done differently, but I was surprised it was so hard for most of the anglers there. I have re-read the Anglers Mail article when the Rushmers visited it in October, and there were a lot of good grayling. The drop in temperature shouldn't have put the grayling off? Of course, if I had fished more seriously for pike, who knows?

Well I hope the weather warms up a bit and the wind drops for you guys!

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

Well I guess things can only get better - forecast still looks OK for Friday. Surprised no one was targetting the perch - something I will certainly be doing on Friday...! :rolleyes:

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Yes, I still have my perch hat on too :) I think we'll have better conditions than you John, just because it's been so unsettled lately. No fish seems to like it when it's really changeable. Sounds like rather a tough day, but I've been looking through BC photos again on the other topic, and it looks like a beautiful place to blank!

EDIT: the weather looks spot on at the moment, mild and settled.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've been looking through BC photos again on the other topic, and it looks like a beautiful place to blank!

It is, and that's why I mainly catch just Trout and Grayling. My swim choice is based on how sunny it is, how windy it is and whether there’s a bench nearby for tea and sarnies, not very scientific.

Must try harder this time.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

(Rusty @ Mar 8 2009, 02:21 PM)

From the entrance (where the lodge is) stay on the track, go over a crossroads and keep going until you get to a yard. Turn left and just keep following the track until you come to the parking area wooden hut and tables, there are signs to the river.

Cheers Rusty - shouldn't it be a right though (going from the website)?

-----------------------------------------------------

Posted a few days ago, can anyone confirm please?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

-----------------------------------------------------

Posted a few days ago, can anyone confirm please?

Yes that would be a right its just Rustys cunning plan top have the venue to himself ;)

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Got me thinking now. From the website map (the one with the highlighted roads) point A on the orange road is the lodge, the little kink is the crossroads and point B is the yard. P is where you'll find Mr Plumb packing up because the Perch have eaten all of his lobs.

Oh and if it's light enough when you arrive I bet you double take the reindeer (all will become clear)

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Got me thinking now. From the website map (the one with the highlighted roads) point A on the orange road is the lodge, the little kink is the crossroads and point B is the yard. P is where you'll find Mr Plumb packing up because the Perch have eaten all of his lobs.

Oh and if it's light enough when you arrive I bet you double take the reindeer (all will become clear)

That Reindeer herd is viscous hanging around there waiting to mug some unsuspecting angler,be afraid be very afraid.