multiplier reels

colin y

I have seen them used in a magazine recently interesting.

But i very much doubt that they will give you the distance modern casting reels can.

But would be interested in how far they do cast :0)

KIR ;0)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 525 mag simply dosent need cent brakes because it simply dosen't need them so can't possibly be called crap especially by people who havent used them.The cage is stronger and dosen't suffer from the abu problem of twisting and in some cases the reel foot breaking.The abu is a very good reel but not as robust or as well built as the penn...Don't knock it unless you've tried it....

Newt:

For distance casting from shore, has anyone used (or even considered) an Alvey reel?  Casts like a fixed spool but retrieves like a multiplier.  The Aussie guys get great distance with them.

Some anglers like them from boats - I fished with a skipper in Ilfracombe who had them on all his hire rods - reckoned they were grockle-proof.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Re: Alveys

The fishun' in Oz is so good, they mostly don't need long distance and of course direct drive of large centrepin is more efficient at 'hauling' than a 6.1:1 gear ratio.

To their credit, Penn brought out 2 versions of the 535 ...... the 'Uptide' version 4.3:1 (?) will get you a ray or smoothie through a tide easier than the 6:1.

Various Abu series are much loved by 'grass distance casters'. Abu 6500C Mag is probably 'top of the pops' in terms of distance for fishing clean ground. Penn 525 Mag and 535 Mag for tough ground.

My silver Abu Sports Rockets will remain with me to my last days.

Some of the best budget multipliers are made by Shakespeare and Fladen; don't expect them to last a life-time.

Colin y ..... get in touch if you're near central S. England (Hants) for a user-friendly multiplier coaching session. Otherwise call 'Sea Angler, on 01733 465668 and Cliff (Dep Ed) will put you in touch with the secretarial assistant who has a list of recommended casting coaches.

Also http://www.nfsa.org.uk has a list on their home page ......

Not much distance with the Alvey reels? I dunno.

Surf Casting and Angling Club of W.A. (Inc.) does monthly 'dry casting' competitions with the reel so they can accurately measure the distances. Here is a result from one of them.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

For distance casting from shore, has anyone used (or even considered) an Alvey reel?  Casts like a fixed spool but retrieves like a multiplier.  The Aussie guys get great distance with them.

I've got one!

An old bakelite version, bought in the late '60s (but had probably been in the shop some time!), shortly after Ireturned from Australia where I had used these for surf-casting (18ft cane rod!)

The big problem I found was line twist :(

That was a particular problem in heavy surf when the weight would be dragged back by a wave's undertow, and the twist would tangle the line.

Tight Lines - leon

ps I've just put away my trusty Intrepid Sea Streaks in favour of an ABU 6500CT. I'm getting almost 50 yards now! :)

[ 22. November 2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

For sheer distance i swear by my abu rockets.Although not in production anymore, they can still be found occasionaly on ebay and sell for around £55 ish.There are no magnets and i lube mine with wd40 so they spin a bit, but thicker oil would make them more controlable if your still a bit unsure.

Ride Hard, Fish Harder.AFFA.