New skate rod

Norm B

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norrie,

I'd love a copy of any pics as well, I never took any myself as I was keeping it for the big fish...

Latest update:

Just got back from the skate bash last night, that leaves just Davey and Lee up there for the rest of the week.

The mark we fished with Shaun on Sunday afternoon, just up the shore a bit, only gave a few doggies in the afternoon but we went back up for the night as the deeper water was closer in and easier to fish than at base camp. The big baits were constantly being nibbled at by doggies and I landed a couple on the light rod. Just before 1am Lee went to wind in and re-bait and thought he was snagged until it swan off uptide! With the drag set full and the RTA bending down to the butt it was still slowly taking line. Then it stopped and went tight, and Lee started calling for the harness as he realised just what he had let himself in for. Keeping it tight we moved up the beach to recover some line and when we got level with the fish the long shockleader came up, it was just behind the kelp wall about 20yds out (it was close to LW). With no sign of movement I went out in the dinghy with the spotlight to see if it was snagged in the kelp or if there was a sulking skate down there, questioning my sanity as I went. As I got the line vertical I could only see the top of the kelp and the line disappearing down into it, and as soon as I got behind it, it lifted free. No bait and a chewed trace. It looks as though it had a hold of the bait but never got hooked, so it was probably a 'small' one. The pressure Lee was putting on it made it come in on an arc after picking up the bait and once it got to the kelp it dropped the bait and scarpered. After that Lee began to question just what the heck did we think we were playing at, esp if that was only a baby!

Monday we rested and Lee and I checked out the shallow bay where the bothy is, thinking that if we could hook into one on shallower, but more importantly cleaner ground, we might have a better chance. Then a yacht came in and moored killing that idea so we went back to the same mark as Sunday. Just Lee and I fished Monday night as Davey was cream crackered. Again loads of doggies ripping the baits but no skate this time, but we did notice just how strange the tides are, it was running the opposite way to the night before even though they were both ebbing! Then it started ripping and swirling when the water level was static at LW, and kept going the same way when it started flooding! With such a strong tide rip and the kelp wall we figured that the chances of actually landing one were certainly smaller than we originally thought, and that was pretty small!

Tuesday we moved the camp down the bay leaving just Davey and Lee planning on settling into the bothy and targeting the bay. However, checking it out at LW from Catchalot it proved to be pretty full of kelp and not as clean as we had hoped. There is one likely looking spot with reasonable water depth, so there is still a chance but we'll have to wait a while longer to see they how they got on. I doubt they'll have fished last night as I'm sure they will have been drying out and getting way too comfy in front of a fire in the bothy!

Brendan was chartering close by Sunday and Monday and didn't catch any, just one dropped take, so maybe the fish are just a bit quite at the moment as well.

Nice to meet you all, it's great to see some young blood (Shaun and Rab) so keen to fish. Wish I was still over there but this nasty thing called work gets in the way......

Sounds like a load of fun was had - apart from the weather!

Its a pity that big common do not frequent areas where there are gentle sandy sloped beaches

Can I ask what type of reel line/leader set up you used? - as to get something that big right up to the leader seems a feat in itself!

Kenny

Lee was using a RT Axcellerator modified with an extra butt ring as the reel was low, a Slosh40 loaded with 50lb braid. He was using 80lb mono leaders about 20 to 30yds long. Casting a whole mackerel bait on that is 'interesting' to say the least.

I was using my RTA with a TLD10 50lb braid and 100lb leader. I cast with the reel low and after seeing Lees rod under load I moved it up after casting as mine was std without the extra ring. I also had a 14ft Apollo which I think might have struggled with a fish anyway. I used it with a 320Gti with 50lb braid which cast fine with just lead but once a bait was on it I couldn't control it so I reverted to a 535Mag with 40lb mono. I need to set the spool tension more precisely before next time.

We used a variety of braids, I had PowerPro which is my favourie for baitcasting/plugging, and PennDynabraid, but Lee and Davey had some RT braid which was much thicker and seemed much stiffer. It didn't birdie the instant it lifted if the spool got ahead of the line so it was easier to control. I could actually cast it about as far as mono as I didn't have to crank down the spool tension to keep it slow.

I might have to invest in some if I am stupid enough to try this again......and I'm already planning! I think the gentle sandy comment is the key...... or at least free of kelp which will stop the fish or sharp rocks which will cut the line.

Don`t worry spanner. Davey phoned me mid afternoon. You`ve only missed the midges!!

I keep telling him to fish from the west pier!

For some reason he thinks it`s unsporting? Why.

After all, the British record bass was caught from a man made structure.

I may join you next time? But we won`t go anywhere near the kelp!! It`s only good for hunting sea otters!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hiya, Just in....phew!!!! what a meeting....I spoke to DavyH this afternoon....he was fishing with Shuggie....no skate caught, but did get a Conger,and a few doggies,when I phoned him tonight,he was catching Seatrout like there was no tomorrow....they are going back out tomorrow ..... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Spanner, If you mail me your Email addy, I will send the pics that I have of the trip, not got a great deal tho',but you are welcome to what I have... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hiya,

here is a pic of the taxi just about to leave the pier

:)

Posted Image

And with regards to Hugh, very nice man it was a pleasure to spend time with him and his family :)

btw even got a signed copy of his new book :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"