Cooking Pollack

Quinny

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guess im gonna have some stale polllack then as didnt fillet them prior to freezer

likwise welcome quinny the guys on here are the best

your posts will soon mount and watch out if you have a beverage in your hand when reviewing posts as many report spraying monitors and keyboards from laughing

this forum is the next best thig to fishing thanks guys!

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Thanks for the welcome lads,

I am going wrecking for pollack in february and i wanted to get a plan for what to do (touch wood) with any fish caught. Last time i went sea fishing off Brighton i caught a ton of pouting- well i wouldnt rate them too highly amongst the white fleshed fish, but poached in milk they were O.K.(This time round i wanted to be a bit more prepared).

Thanks for the tips boys and best of luck!

Quinny.

Pout are supposed to be OK provided they're very fresh. If you're pollacking in Feb then the chances are that everything you get will be 10lb+, and I'd like to see you fit one of them in the freezer without filleting it! As I live in Pollack central (Channel Islands) the general concensus from those that eat it is that the smaller ones are better tasting, but as big ones don't come by very often I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Just make sure you gut your fish as soon as possible, as there's plenty of worms in the guts that work their way into the flesh if you leave them ungutted for a while. (Plus the guts stink!)

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

We catch a lot of Pollock and Coalfish up here. Can't give the Coalfish away to anyone.

Having said that some of the older locals used to smoke or salt it and reckoned it was very good.

Chatting to an old boy who runs a tackle shop in Stromness he said "I wont eat any of the Cod family because it to wet". I think I know what he means. Try salting some Pollock, take your fillets off and cover with salt and leave in the fridge over night. Then rinse the salt of and cook as normal.

One old boy used to dry his fish (When I first moved up here, he is dead now) he would salt them for a few days and leave them out to dry in the wind.

If you think about this most West Indians like salt Cod. Where did they get this Cod from, the sailors on board ships from the UK during the slave trade. They only way to keep Cod fresh from the UK to the West Indies was to salt it. Well worth a try with Pollock I reckon.

Bob

Bob on Stronsay:

One old boy used to dry his fish (When I first moved up here, he is dead now) he would salt them for a few days and leave them out to dry in the wind.

I wonder if he (or his ancestors) was/were of Norwegian origin - up in the Varanger area they have huge wooden frames (by huge I mean like barn size) on which cod/haddock fillets are put out to dry.

Dried, salted - OK within reason, but these fish looked better suited to sole your boots with than eat.

Have also tried the Portugese dish "Baccalhau" (spelt something like that) which is dried salt cod. That's about as dry and salty as I wish to go :D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

were featured on "full on food" bbc early this morning feature on pollack v cod in a chip shop

pollack won!!! :)

recipe here

bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database...tinee_294.shtml

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics