Crabs and Lobsters

Salar

Inspired by Rudd's post - how many boat fishers deliberatly try and bring home some lobser or crab as well as fish? I've heard of people tying a pot to the anchor rope - as for me I've caught plenty of spider crabs (yum if they are big enough) a few edible crabs (double yum) and one lobster (triple yum) but only by accident and only because they got themselves snagged on line or hook. Am I missing a trick here?

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you are.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Use your fish finder to find rough ground. Be careful not to upset local lobster men by dropping your pot too close to theirs or you may find your rope cut. I also think you are only allowed 6 pots before a licence is required. Regards Lee

Yep 6 pots before you need a licence: I have a boat and trust me hauling 6 pots by hand is quite hard work. hubby and I had four pots, he got quite sick of it pulling them in and finding nothing in them, other people will pull your pots so it's a chance you have to take:- we ended up giving them away..when the mackerel are in we get a good catch we swap the mackerel for lobsters as the old mackerel is good for pot bait :cool: one laid back lady angler.

from blackvelvet :rolleyes:

should be one pot and a license if your going to leave them...to stop the muppets who lay 150ft of floating line out in 20ft of high tide water with a milk bottle...either that or they should have an address on them, and next time i have to cut 10ft of 2 inch floating nylon rope off the boat prop i can post the gucky mess through their letterbox and i can give them instructions on where to stick it.

When I was a youngster we used to take a bicycle wheel with the spokes cut out and replaced with a net and bait it up and throw it in the deep water at the edge of the rocks that we fished from. We used to go home with loads of spiders and a few chancres (edible crabs) had loads of fun doing that must try it again.

• 2 months later...

OK, so nothing happens fast! I was walking on the beach by Seahouses over Easter and salvaged pot hops and entrances from a number of storm-wrecked pots. I copied the design and have made a slatted base out of oak floorboard offcuts. Some netting is in the post from South West Nets - so if it all arrives in time and I have a spare evening I may be potting while I fish, next trip. Thanks for the feedback earlier, folks!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk